Died: March 10, 1898

Place of Death: Bernardo Beach, California

Cause of Death: Pneumonia

Age at time of Death: 78 years old

Original Burial Place: Rosedale Cemetery, Los Angeles, California

Final Burial Place:
Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia

Last edited by a moderator:
From memory I seem to recall a dispute/confusion regarding Browns Ferry and “mouth of Lookout Creek.” Also there was an issue about an old map that mislabeled Browns Ferry.
Since in most popular histories Rosecrans is portrayed as “stunned like a duck hit on the head” ( Lincoln said that but he of course had no personal knowledge and was basing it on Dana’s dispatches) any activity is positive and a refutation of the duck comment.
There is an interesting letter in the OR by Meigs written after his arrival in Chattanooga. I may post it later

Last edited:
That's not what the Smith/Rosecrans debate was about. It was about the strategic value of Browns Ferry and who conceived the plan to bridge the river there, with the immediate benefits that resulted.

George Thomas credited Smith with "conceiving" the Browns Ferry plan.
IIRR, Smith had pitched the idea to Rosecrans. On October 19th, Rosecrans and Smith rode out to review the positions and terrain, with Smith looking to get Rosecrans' OK to proceed on the plan. When they arrived back at Rosecrans HQ, the order from Grant relieving Rosecrans was waiting for him.

He never actually said that. He did say that “ It is reported here by deserters that a part of Bragg's army is reinforcing Lee. It is important that the truth of this should be ascertained as early as possible." He is showing skepticism of the deserters
Far cry from Lee reinforcement of Bragg.

Halleck knew on the 14th that Bragg was being reinforced. He told Grant, Burnside and others. He did not tell Rosecrans. Had he, Rosecrans would of had other options. Rosecrans could of consolidated his Army in Chattanooga. Waited until the odds could be reversed.

He never ordered Grant to keep Joe Johnson busy so he couldn’t sent troops. Told Burnside for over a month t go to Rosecrans. However he never gave Burnside a Positive order. Knoxville was worthless without Chattanooga and the RR.

IIRR, Smith had pitched the idea to Rosecrans. On October 19th, Rosecrans and Smith rode out to review the positions and terrain, with Smith looking to get Rosecrans' OK to proceed on the plan. When they arrived back at Rosecrans HQ, the order from Grant relieving Rosecrans was waiting for him.
And then Rosecrans went over that plan with Thomas in detail. Before leaving Chattanooga the next morning.

I think that was the later Rosecrans memory. Smith said they started riding out together, then Rosecrans was detained at some place and Smith rode on and discovered that Browns Ferry was ideal.

Another version was that after Baldy Smith discovered it and rode back, then Rosecrans rode up and discovered it on his own.

It wasn't until, I believe, 1889 that Rosecrans claimed to have specifically identified that spot. And his account at that time was flawed, as he mentioned a general by name as being involved, but there is no record of a general by that name. I don't remember the imaginary generals name, but I believe it was in Livermores article.

And then Rosecrans went over that plan with Thomas in detail. Before leaving Chattanooga the next morning.
Yes. It appears Smith pitched the idea to Rosecrans, who was willing to listen, probably because it fit in with what Rosecrans (and any other thinking soldier in the AotC) knew needed to be done, fixing the supply problem. Rosecrans probably thought he had an officer with a plan that sounded like it might work, so he wanted to see/hear more. This is all in the early stages of development. Then Rosecrans is relieved, heads out that night, briefs Thomas before he goes. He stops to see Grant on his way to Nashville, tells him about this idea/plan. Grant gets to Chattanooga, is briefed by Thomas and Smith (who would both be motivated to have a good idea ready when Grant showed up). Grant listens and looks, gives it the go-ahead. The plan, well-executed, works.

Halleck knew on the 14th that Bragg was being reinforced. He told Grant, Burnside and others. He did not tell Rosecrans. Had he, Rosecrans would of had other options. Rosecrans could of consolidated his Army in Chattanooga. Waited until the odds could be reversed.

He never ordered Grant to keep Joe Johnson busy so he couldn’t sent troops. Told Burnside for over a month t go to Rosecrans. However he never gave Burnside a Positive order. Knoxville was worthless without Chattanooga and the RR.
As noted earlier in the thread, Grenville Dodge notified Rosecrans of his intel of Bragg being reinforced by Lee, a week to ten days before the battle.

Rosecrans suggested they mind their own business.

I think that was the later Rosecrans memory. Smith said they started riding out together, then Rosecrans was detained at some place and Smith rode on and discovered that Browns Ferry was ideal.

Another version was that after Baldy Smith discovered it and rode back, then Rosecrans rode up and discovered it on his own.

It wasn't until, I believe, 1889 that Rosecrans claimed to have specifically identified that spot. And his account at that time was flawed, as he mentioned a general by name as being involved, but there is no record of a general by that name. I don't remember the imaginary generals name, but I believe it was in Livermores article.
Thanks. I think I have heard at least two of those versions. In the end, though, they all say generally the same thing (leaving aside who should get the credit :smile: ). The idea was in development before Grant got there, Rosecrans knew about it and mentioned it to Grant as he met him, Grant arrived, checked it, approved it.

Halleck knew on the 14th that Bragg was being reinforced. He told Grant, Burnside and others. He did not tell Rosecrans. Had he, Rosecrans would of had other options. Rosecrans could of consolidated his Army in Chattanooga. Waited until the odds could be reversed....
I have already shown you the source of when Halleck told Rosecrans. This line of argument is absurd

... Told Burnside for over a month t go to Rosecrans. However he never gave Burnside a Positive order. Knoxville was worthless without Chattanooga and the RR.
He did not tell Burnside for over a month to go to Rosecrans.

Would there have been a battle of Chickamauga without the Tennessee Campaigns ( Tullahoma and Chickamauga Campaign?)
Some other questions I’d like you to think about and give me your thoughts:
Rosecrans is criticized for dividing his army to force Bragg out of Chattanooga. How else could he have approached that city and forced Bragg to evacuate?
What if he had pulled all of his army into Chattanooga after Bragg evacuated what would the Confederates have done?
Wasn’t there going to be a battle for Chattanooga sooner rather later? Wasn’t Longstreet sent to fight?
What would have been a Union victory?
What would have been a Confederate defeat?
Of course the simple answer is the destruction of the opposing army but since that rarely if ever happened after a battle what else would define victory for either side?
I assure you I ask these questions with an open mind.
Rosecrans was lucky to have been facing Bragg. A energetic commander could have wrecked the AotC when it was divided.

Rosecrans was lucky to have been facing Bragg. A energetic commander could have wrecked the AotC when it was divided.
Agree with this. And a better commander on the Union side could have conceivably won at Chickamauga.

Rosecrans was less outnumbered at Chickamauga than Lee was at Antietam. Or Curtis was at Pea Ridge.

Agree with this. And a better commander on the Union side could have conceivably won at Chickamauga.

Rosecrans was less outnumbered at Chickamauga than Lee at Antietam. Or Curtis at Pea Ridge.

Yep. Not knocking Rosecrans at all. He just wasn't the person to lead the army anymore. Much like Burnside or Hooker.

There were many commanders who for a variety of reasons hit their point of usefulness.

Also lucky to have been facing a disjointed, thrown-together-at-the-last-moment army with a fractious high command. Bragg was capable of conceiving good plans (Invasion of Kentucky, initial attack at Murfreesboro, initial plan for attack at Chickamauga), but stubbornly inflexible once the fighting started. He had failed to build an army command and staff that would work together and efficiently. Even D. H. Hill -- who arrived happy to be reunited with his old captain -- rapidly became part of the anti-Bragg clique.

If you could somehow drop Robert E. Lee and the Chancellorsville Army of Northern Virginia on the other side instead of Bragg's Army of Tennessee for a few days, Rosecrans would have been in far worse shape.

Also lucky to have been facing a disjointed, thrown-together-at-the-last-moment army with a fractious high command. Bragg was capable of conceiving good plans (Invasion of Kentucky, initial attack at Murfreesboro, initial plan for attack at Chickamauga), but stubbornly inflexible once the fighting started. He had failed to build an army command and staff that would work together and efficiently. Even D. H. Hill -- who arrived happy to be reunited with his old captain -- rapidly became part of the anti-Bragg clique.

If you could somehow drop Robert E. Lee and the Chancellorsville Army of Northern Virginia on the other side instead of Bragg's Army of Tennessee for a few days, Rosecrans would have been in far worse shape.
Sad thing is, the South really didn't have much to offer when it came to army commander.

Been trying to find a replacement for Bragg off the top of my melon, but there simply isn't one. So can we change up Corps commanders? Would Davis get Polk out of that army? No. Who is replacing Hardee then? Again, isn't a clear choice.

Been trying to find a replacement for Bragg off the top of my melon, but there simply isn't one. So can we change up Corps commanders? Would Davis get Polk out of that army? No. Who is replacing Hardee then? Again, isn't a clear choice.
It is hard to find Confederate possibilities. I have a few I wonder about, but they are all very long shots in 1863 and early 1864.
  • Richard Taylor
    • liked by Davis
    • stuck west of the Mississippi until Spring of 1864
    • probably the only real choice to replace Bragg in this group
  • Nathan Bedford Forrest
    • too junior and not a professional.
    • would have needed a Corps command first (which he would not have gotten).
    • I think the general Confederate opinion of Forrest wasn't high enough until after the war.
  • Patrick Cleburne
    • too junior to replace Bragg, needed to move up to Corps command first.
    • might have moved up to Corps in early 1864
    • needs a Corps opening to appear (expansion to three corps in 1864? no Hood? Polk or Hardee sent away?)
  • Franklin Gardner
    • POW after Port Hudson, exchanged in August 1864

Back