1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

About CivilWarTalk

Discussion in 'CWT Announcements' started by civilwartalk, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. civilwartalk

civilwartalk Lieutenant General Owner & Webmaster

Who is the Webmaster and What is the purpose of CivilWarTalk.com?

As the webmaster and founder of this web site I feel that I need to answer this question in a personal way.

This web site was originally intended to bring experts and amatures who share the desire to learn more about the Civil War together, and to take that shared knowledge and make it available to anyone and everyone on the internet.

Since this web site's founding back in April of 1999, CivilWarTalk has developed a reputation as one of the best Civil War internet communities that can be found. We have a great variety of members who are friendly and knowledgeable about all kinds of Civil War topics.

Now I have to say that things have not always worked to perfection, sometimes things don't work the way they were planned, and sometimes I fail to do things as quickly as I'd like. However, I think that this site will always be a work in progress, and although we may never achieve perfection, we will always strive to be as perfect as possible... as a web site.

I like to think that some of the best and brightest people on the internet use our web site. If you have questions about the Civil War, we have people with answers, or at least they can get you pointed in a direction to get an answer.

Now, I don't pretend to be a historian, I'm a computer tech by trade. I am also an N-SSA member, which means that on the field I may look like a typical reenactor, but I shoot more live ammo with my musket than many reenactors fire blanks each year. I do have a love for the Civil War, Artillery, and facts, figures, and statistics.

So you ask what's the purpose of CivilWarTalk? I think that it's first purpose is to be a friendly community, a proverbial "Cyber-campfire" if you will, for all who wish to post their thoughts or questions, and for all those who wish to listen. It's second purpose is as a powerful research tool, with a wide array of resources for the student of the Civil War.

I hope you enjoy what we've created here, and I hope you find yourself visiting CivilWarTalk again and again!

I am, respectfully, your obedient servant,

mk.JPG

Mike Kendra

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. civilwartalk

The Staff at CivilWarTalk

Mike Kendra - Webmaster, Owner, Designer, Editor, and Founder
    Current Residence: Martinsburg, West Virginia, USA
    Unit Info: 1st NJ Light Artillery, Clark's Battery 'B', N-SSA
    Nickname: CivilWarTalk, NJArtillery​
    Current Forum Moderation Staff:
    Ami - Super Moderator
    CMWinkler - Moderator *
    JerseyBart - Moderator *
    jgoodguy - Moderator *
    Matthew McKeon - Moderator
    chellers - Moderator
    Lnwlf - Moderator
    Current Forum Host Staff:
    18thVirginia, The Ladies Tea
    7th Mississippi Infantry, Nathan B. Forrest Forum
    7th Texas Mounted Rifles, Civil War Texas & The New Mexico Campaign Forum
    AndyHall, Civil War History - The Naval War Forum
    AUG351, Regimental Histories Forum
    bdietzler73, Abraham Lincoln Forum
    Chattahooch33, Atlanta Campaign Forum
    CMWinkler, Battlefield Preservation Forum
    diane, Nathan B. Forrest Forum
    donna, Foods of the Civil War Forum
    E_just_E, Other Notable Biographies Forum

ErnieMac, Battle of Antietam / Sharpsburg Forum
    frontrank2, William T. Sherman Forum
    hoosier, War Between the States Trivia Game
    huskerblitz, Regimental Histories Forum
    James N., Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson Forum
    Jamieva, Robert E. Lee Forum
    JerseyBart, U of ACW Study Center
    jgoodguy, Civil War History - Secession and Politics Forum
    John Hartwell - Four Footed Friends
    JPK Huson 1863, The Ladies Tea
    kholland, Battle of Antietam / Sharpsburg Forum
    Legion Para, Regimental Histories Forum & Civil War Uniforms & Relics Forum
    lelliott19, Medical Care of the Civil War Forum
    major bill, Civil War Uniforms & Relics Forum
    Nathanb1, Nathan B. Forrest Forum
    nitrofd, On This Day Forum
    pamc153PA, Battle of Gettysburg Forum
    Pat Young, Immigrants During the Civil War Forum & Post Civil War History, The Reconstruction Period Forum
    TinCan, Siege of Vicksburg Forum
    ucvrelics.com, Civil War Weapons and Ammunition Forum & Civil War Uniforms & Relics Forum
    War Horse, James Longstreet Forum

Retired Moderators:
    jpeter
    Robtweb1
    Brass Napoleon
    Glorybound
    Johan Steel
    Ole
    M E Wolf
    wilber6150
    JRJ
    Nathanb1
    MRB1863
    kholland​

Additional Contributors:
    Joe Bilby, Bob Sullivan, Paul Calloway, Tom Kelley, Tony Beck, Mike Kotyk, Chris Sullivan, & Rod Ploessl.​

* User is a Host & Moderator
    (Updated 1/5/2017)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  4. civilwartalk

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How do I post on CivilWarTalk?

It's easy to make a post on CivilWarTalk!

First, if you haven't already, you need to register and be approved as a member!

Then, if you want to reply to a thread, just go to the bottom, and you'll find an empty text box to write your message in, click the "Post Reply" to save your message!

If you want to start a new discussion thread, first find the correct forum page that is appropriate to your new discussion. Use this page as an index to all available forums:

http://civilwartalk.com/forums/

Then find and click the red button labeled "Post New Thread" at the top right or the bottom right of the forum listing page. This will get you to the page to start a new thread as well as upload an Image Attachment!
    How much do I have to pay to use CivilWarTalk?

Nothing! CivilWarTalk is a completely free web site! Our message board does have a voluntary membership, but you can register to use it for free! CivilWarTalk does accept donations to help cover operating costs and upgrade expenses, but all donations are voluntary. Thanks to everyone who has donated to CivilWarTalk!​

Will CivilWarTalk keep my personal information private?

Absolutely, yes! CivilWarTalk is committed to keeping your personal information private. We strive to keep your email address spam free, and confidential. We do not require any member's personal information to be publicly displayed. If you require further information please refer to our Privacy Statement.​

What may I do to keep my account safe?

This forum has built-in features that attempt to detect hacking and hijacking. In regards to the latter, a guest may be "locked out" from logging in for several minutes if he fails five times to enter the correct password.

Relatedly, you would do well to use a strong password, and choose a different one for each website you make an account for. Of course, if someone has the skill and is determined enough, he may compromise your account anyway, but by taking steps to secure your account, you will lessen the probability of heart ache or annoyance.

Have you made sure your password is secure?

- Does it contain at least 8 characters?
    - At least 40% of which are numbers?
    - There are no dictionary words at all?
    - Is just a random mix of numbers and letters?
    - You changed it in the last month or two?
    - You haven't told anyone it or written it down where someone else may see it?
    Here is an article that members may find helpful, especially the not-so-computer-savvy among us:

What should I do if I forgot my account password?

Use our Password Recovery tool: http://civilwartalk.com/lost-password/

What am I allowed to post on CivilWarTalk.com?

Many things, but not everything. For instance, you may not post copyrighted material on the Forum without the owners permission. You also may not post commercial messages in conversational areas.​

You can find a complete list of rules in our Rules and Proper Etiquette Section.​

What's the rank structure of this forum?

Ranks are determined by your status (Registered Member, Moderator, Webmaster) and how many posts you have made at CivilWarTalk. The forum automatically updates members' ranks (if any need updating) once every hour (specifically, the 25th minute of each hour). You may have to wait until the update script runs to see a new rank.​
    • New Members: Cadet
    • 25 Posts: Private
    • 250 Posts: Corporal
    • 500 Posts: Sergeant
    • 1000 Posts: First Sergeant
    • 1750 Posts: Sergeant Major
    • 2500 Posts: 2nd Lieutenant
    • 3500 Posts: 1st Lieutenant
    • 5000 Posts: Captain
    • 7500 Posts: Major
    • 10,000 Posts: Lt. Colonel
    • 12,500 Posts: Colonel
    • 17,500 Posts: Brevet Brigadier General
    • Moderators: Brigadier General
    • Super Moderator: Major General (Ami)
    • Webmaster: Lieutenant General (CivilWarTalk)
    Can I become a moderator?

Possibly, but only when we're in need of them. Don't start a conversation asking to be one prior to that time.​

Who can I contact about Ancestry and/or Genealogical questions?

Please do not ask the webmaster your Ancestry and/or Genealogical questions, unfortunately he does not have the resources to answer such questions.

These questions are better answered in our community forums "Researching Your Civil War Ancestry".

http://civilwartalk.com/forums/researching-your-civil-war-ancestry.38/

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    8thFlorida and lovingcomradetim like this.
  5. civilwartalk

STUDENT GUIDE

How do I cite this website as a source?

Articles should be cited in the following manner:

Authors Last Name, First Name. "Title of Article." CivilWarTalk. Online. World Wide Web. (Date page was accessed on the web). Available at http://CivilWarTalk.com.​

If the Author of the document is not identified then use the following format:

"Title of Article." CivilWarTalk. Online. World Wide Web. (Date page was accessed on the web). Available at http://CivilWarTalk.com.​

6. civilwartalk

USING CIVILWARTALK: THREAD NAVIGATION

In order to Navigate our forums it is best if you understood how to navigate to posts in threads. The figure below is a sample view of a thread on our forum:

FAQ-ViewAThread.png

A: The Thread Title will take you to the first unread post.​

B: The Thread Start Date/Time will take you to the first post of the thread.​

C: The Most Recent Post Date/Time will take you to the last post of the thread.​

This figure is similar to what you would see if you viewed recent threads on the home page, a forum thread listing, the What's New page, or in search results.

7. civilwartalk

EMAIL & SUBSCRIPTION PREFERENCES

How do I stop all these emails?!!?

There are four areas you will want to check
    • Stop Watching threads you've set to "Watched".
    Un-check the threads you'd like to adjust and use the selection box at the bottom to Disable Email Notification or Stop Watching Threads.​
    • Check your Contact Details, this controls the emails you would get if someone starts a Conversation with you.
    Look for: "Receive email when a new conversation message is received"​

• Check your account preferences, this controls the default settings for new posts and threads you create.
    Look for: "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply..."​
    Also: "and receive email notifications of replies"​

• To stop emails from the Administrator (Mike), you may adjust the configuration in your Privacy Settings.
    For "Receive site mailings" to shut off Admin emails...​

8. civilwartalk

HOW DO I USE CONVERSATIONS

What happened to the Private Message System (PM System)?

In the conversion from our old forum to the new forum PMs became Conversations. The main difference is that conversations can be held between more than just 2 members, and that such discussions are held in a threaded format.

Do I need to worry about my Inbox size?

No! The new system does not require conversation limits, have as many conversations as you like! Also the new threaded format has no Inbox or Outbox, you can find all your conversations here:

http://civilwartalk.com/conversations/

How do I delete a conversation?

In the top right corner of the conversation, click "Leave Conversation". You will have the choice to Leave, but come back if another participant adds another message, or you can leave the conversation permanently. (Note: A conversation is only completely deleted if all parties to the conversation leave the conversation.)

9. civilwartalk

HOW TO LINK TO CIVILWARTALK

Looking for a quick and easy way to link to our site? You can copy paste the following HTML codes in your web page. Please feel free to adjust the links as you see fit. Thank you!

Big Text & Link

CivilWarTalk.com is a forum for students and fans of the American Civil War. Our online community of Historians, Skirmishers, Re-enactors, Educators, and Enthusiasts is dedicated to the exchange of ideas and information related to the War Between the States. Our goal is to become the leading resource for every researcher seeking historical information and opinions relating to the American Civil War.
    HTML:
    <p><a href="http://civilwartalk.com">CivilWarTalk.com</A> is a forum for students and fans of the American Civil War. Our online community of Historians, Skirmishers, Re-enactors, Educators, and Enthusiasts is dedicated to the exchange of ideas and information related to the War Between the States. Our goal is to become the leading resource for every researcher seeking historical information and opinions relating to the American Civil War.</p>

Small Text & Link

Discuss the American Civil War at CivilWarTalk.com.
    HTML:
    <p>Discuss the American Civil War at <a href="http://civilwartalk.com">CivilWarTalk.com</a>.</p>

Simple Link

CivilWarTalk.com
    HTML:
    <a href="http://civilwartalk.com">CivilWarTalk.com</A>

WORTH COUSINS and matthew mckeon like this.
  10. civilwartalk

Link Directory FAQ

Link Directory URL: https://civilwartalk.com/linkdirectory/

Why a Link Directory?
    Well, there really isn't a good directory of Civil War sites anymore. The last really good directory was the "Index of Civil War Information Available on the Internet" formally maintained by the LSU Civil War Center, currently maintained by CivilWarHome, but it's sorely out of date with many, many dead links.

So we've gone and built a new one.

A directory is useful if you'd like to discover sites that you've never seen before. Google search is good but it only gets you so far. A directory can give you a curated handful of sites that are guaranteed useful.

Does this Directory have a lot of dead links?
    No! At least we hope not! We run an automatic check every week on all the available links in the Directory, and we will delete sites that disappear. We also may re-add the site via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine when possible.

How do I add a link?
    Any registered member can add a link to the directory. Haven't joined yet? Register Here!

To add a new link, click the red "Add Link" button on the main directory page or on any category page. You will arrive at the "Add Link" submission page. There are three required steps, and one optional step.

Step 1. You will want to check and make sure the link is assigned to an appropriate category, use the dropdown to select the correct category.

Step 2. Fill in the "Website URL" with the web address for the link you want to add. We recommend linking to the homepage of sites fully dedicated to the Civil War when possible.

Step 3. Fill in the "Title" with the name of the page or site you are adding a link to.

Step 4 (Optional). Add a "Website description".

Final Step: Click "Save" and the system will automatically create a link with a thumbnail screenshot of the website.​

Can I search the Link Directory?
    Yes! The link can be found in the Directory Title Menu at the top of any Link Directory page, or use this link: https://civilwartalk.com/search/?type=ld_links

What if I try to add a link that is already in the directory?
    The system will automatically detect duplicate links. You will get a warning upon submission. You can use the search tool if you want to check for sites already in the directory.

Can I rate a link?
    Yes! Click the "Detailed Page" link at the bottom of any listing, then use the stars to rate the link, then give a short review (You can use as few as one word) of the link in question.

What if I see an error message I don't understand? What if I mess up?
    No worries, just contact @civilwartalk with a Conversation and tell me what you did, I can usually correct the problem.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    GELongstreet and Pat Young like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.