Lee - Jackson Day 2020

Understandable. Did I mention it was 65 degrees yesterday..? :cool: Granted, we have no idea what it'll be on Saturday the 18th but, the events will take place, rain, shine, snow, miserable cold, or whatever else Mother Nature throws at us. :lee:

Totally unable to be there in person, but we'll be joining you in spirit that evening here in my part of the south... okay, so south-eastern Michigan isn't "the South" unless you're nearly in Canada, LOL... regardless, we're hosting our Lee-Jackson Day dinner at a banquet hall up here that night. :D

I did, however, block off two weeks of vacation for October of 2020 so I can hopefully travel down to Lexington for whatever y'all might be doing to honor Lee during the 150th commemoration of his passing.

Samuel T. Cowley of Co. A, 2nd Virginia Infantry Regiment.
1577741696183.png

Great picture of the flag waving in front of Old Jack, and of course what else could it been but the 2nd Va Infantry.

What's that got to do with Lee Jackson day?
People often sign off with unrelated quotes. Here is one from the bottom of post#6 that would be more to your liking:

"the greatest efforts made by the defeated insurgents since the close of the war have been to promulgate the idea that the cause of liberty, justice, humanity, equality, and all the calendar of the virtues of freedom, suffered violence and wrong when the effort for southern independence failed.
Gen G. H. THOMAS, U.S.

oops, the flags are gone too.
Those seem to have been a bone of contention for some time now - I believe it's been a decade or two since the ORIGINAL Virginia State Battle Flags that were originally at the head and feet of the statue were removed for conservation - no doubt a GOOD thing! - and replaced by replicas. It is the replicas that have relatively recently been removed, no doubt as a sop to Political Correctness.

since the ORIGINAL Virginia State Battle Flags that were originally at the head and feet of the statue were removed for conservation - no doubt a GOOD thing! -

It's a good thing the originals were removed because it is coolish and a bit dampish feeling there and certainly just keeping the flags hanging at a certain angle would increase the shattering of them.

Just a reminder to thread lurkers: The Lee-Jackson Day annual memorials in Lexington, Virginia start at one o'clock in the afternoon this Friday the 17th of January with several speeches. Ceremonies continue on Saturday the 18th with a 10:30 AM Jackson gravesite wreath laying, 11:15 AM march, 12:00-noon "Defending Confederate Monuments" speech, followed by a 1:30 PM luncheon.

Last edited:
People often sign off with unrelated quotes. Here is one from the bottom of post#6 that would be more to your liking:

"the greatest efforts made by the defeated insurgents since the close of the war have been to promulgate the idea that the cause of liberty, justice, humanity, equality, and all the calendar of the virtues of freedom, suffered violence and wrong when the effort for southern independence failed.
Gen G. H. THOMAS, U.S.

Thomas got it right. He knew the spin was on.

I will be able to attend a UDC luncheon for the day. I have been sick and wasn't sure if I would be able to go.

I was just asked to bring a prayer before our meal. :angel:

There will also be a special speaker with a presentation on Robert E. Lee.
It should be a wonderful event!
I was forced to miss an SCV meeting Monday night because of an unwelcome visitor (a tornado) late Saturday night. :frown:

The crazies are presenting all kinds of bills that are going to have serious consequences if they become law. Things are going to get real interesting in the Old Dominion this coming year.

However, regardless of that, I'm confident in saying, this celebration will continue even if it is no longer a state holiday. It's a state holiday in name only anyways. Nothing is closed, or shut down as a result.
I know the folks who put on the celebration well enough to attest to the truth of that. The memorial services will continue for some time.

Back