Lee - Jackson Day 2020

Sounds like a fun time! I love visiting Lexington and paying my respects to the great General and visiting Jackson as often as I can. When did the fences go up inside Lee's chapel? That made me sad. And a little angry.... Maybe today's public needs another history lesson on what Lee meant to the entire southern people and actually the entire country when the war ended? Give Robert E. Lee 100% credit for unifying the southern people, asking them to END the hostilities, accept what happened and learn to once again be good Americans. Because as popular as Lee was and for good reason, he could have told everyone to keep fighting and head for the hills. But he didn't. He wanted peace and he also felt it was his personal duty to educate young men and make them better Americans. The man was amazing and whatever he said and thought, everyone followed his lead! Who has that kind of pull with people today? How about since the end of the war? Because of all of his accomplishments and what he meant to an entire population, I consider Lee to be one of the 5 greatest Americans of all time. And oh by the way, how many people know that in 1868, the New York Herald Tribune said Lee would make a marvelopus president and American leader and should be considered for the Democratic nomination and run against Grant for president of the United States! I'll bet very few people today know that. But we do!

Understandable. Did I mention it was 65 degrees yesterday..? :cool: Granted, we have no idea what it'll be on Saturday the 18th but, the events will take place, rain, shine, snow, miserable cold, or whatever else Mother Nature throws at us. :lee:
I was there a few years ago and had a great time. No trouble, and everyone was civil. I wish I could go again, but work gets in the way.

DSC_4171.jpg

DSC_4183.jpg

DSC_4184.jpg

DSC_4185.jpg

DSC_4191.jpg

DSC_4198.jpg

DSC_4208.jpg

DSC_4209.jpg

I was there a few years ago and had a great time. No trouble, and everyone was civil. I wish I could go again, but work gets in the way.

View attachment 340336

View attachment 340337

View attachment 340338

View attachment 340339

View attachment 340340

View attachment 340341

View attachment 340342

View attachment 340343
The lady in the red sweater holding the flag looks like Susan Hathaway, she does an awesome job heading up the Virginia Flaggers.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Are the VMI Cadets part of the parade? They're Awesome!
No. The parade is put on by the local SCV camp. The Stonewall Brigade camp #1296. VMI has zero affiliation with the parade.

SCV camps, UDC chapters, members, & re-enactors from all over the US participate in the parade. As well as plenty of people with no official affiliation to any organization. The Virginia Flaggers are usually in town doing their own thing too but, participate in the parade as well.

Sounds like a fun time! I love visiting Lexington and paying my respects to the great General and visiting Jackson as often as I can. When did the fences go up inside Lee's chapel? That made me sad. And a little angry.... Maybe today's public needs another history lesson on what Lee meant to the entire southern people and actually the entire country when the war ended? Give Robert E. Lee 100% credit for unifying the southern people, asking them to END the hostilities, accept what happened and learn to once again be good Americans. Because as popular as Lee was and for good reason, he could have told everyone to keep fighting and head for the hills. But he didn't. He wanted peace and he also felt it was his personal duty to educate young men and make them better Americans. The man was amazing and whatever he said and thought, everyone followed his lead! Who has that kind of pull with people today? How about since the end of the war? Because of all of his accomplishments and what he meant to an entire population, I consider Lee to be one of the 5 greatest Americans of all time. And oh by the way, how many people know that in 1868, the New York Herald Tribune said Lee would make a marvelopus president and American leader and should be considered for the Democratic nomination and run against Grant for president of the United States! I'll bet very few people today know that. But we do!
Reality check...Lee could have done a lot more great things without all the bloodshed he caused by backing those who pushed war for independence to perpetuate slavery. Might want to consider that among all of your accolades of the man who fought to break up this country.
He didn't unify the southern folk, they didn't listen to him after the war anyway, they tried to put blacks BACK into pre reconstruction era bondage, he did little to stop it.

Kevin Dally

Sorry, NO reality check. I respectfully but strongly disagree with everything you said. Like I have said earlier, if anyone was living in VA or any of the southern states back then, I don't know how ANYONE would have acted and done differently than Lee and all those southern patriots. I'm sorry but too many people TODAY judge history and events by the way they feel now - NOT then. There's a big difference. As for Lee and what he did for the nation back then - North and South, while he wasn't a God, he was sure considered close to being one.

Sorry, NO reality check. I respectfully but strongly disagree with everything you said. Like I have said earlier, if anyone was living in VA or any of the southern states back then, I don't know how ANYONE would have acted and done differently than Lee and all those southern patriots. I'm sorry but too many people TODAY judge history and events by the way they feel now - NOT then. There's a big difference. As for Lee and what he did for the nation back then - North and South, while he wasn't a God, he was sure considered close to being one.
I simply judge the man by what he did, and yes, too many try to make a god of the man. Remember, George H. Thomas was the better man, he stayed true to the Country, not a State. I spoke the truth.

Kevin Dally

Reality check...Lee could have done a lot more great things without all the bloodshed he caused by backing those who pushed war for independence to perpetuate slavery. Might want to consider that among all of your accolades of the man who fought to break up this country.
He didn't unify the southern folk, they didn't listen to him after the war anyway, they tried to put blacks BACK into pre reconstruction era bondage, he did little to stop it.

Kevin Dally
Aren't there enough other threads for you to poop on Lee..? This thread is about the celebration of Lee & Jackson in a couple weeks. Please find another thread to argue/debate your well known feelings about Lee. I'm guessing you wont be in attendance.....

When did the fences go up inside Lee's chapel?
I’m not sure what you mean by fences, but there have always been a set of gates/partitions in the chapel over the last few decades. When I got married there in 1992, we closed them and covered them in flowers and bunting. It wasnt that I didn’t like the backdrop, but having Lee Asleep on the Battlefield in our wedding pics would’ve been a little distracting LOL

Might want to catch this before before it passes. A few more years of last hurrah. Look for the kids.

I simply judge the man by what he did, and yes, too many try to make a god of the man. Remember, George H. Thomas was the better man, he stayed true to the Country, not a State. I spoke the truth.

Kevin Dally
Funny, even his own family members seem not to have thought so!

DSC05582.JPG

Sounds like a fun time! I love visiting Lexington and paying my respects to the great General and visiting Jackson as often as I can. When did the fences go up inside Lee's chapel? That made me sad. And a little angry....
If you think about it, they could well be prttecting Lee's statue from the crazies!

DSC05583.JPG

Back