Lee - Jackson Day 2020

Viper21

Brigadier General
Official Vendor
The annual Lee-Jackson Day events for 2020 will be held on January 17th, & 18th, in downtown Lexington, Virginia.

enhance.jpg

This event is put on by, The Stonewall Brigade camp #1296 Sons of Confederate Veterans. This will be the 21st consecutive year, of this event. The events will take place, rain or shine, regardless of temperatures. More info is available here: https://leejacksonday.webs.com/

I invite everybody to attend if you can. If you've never been to this event, or if you've never been to Lexington, it's worth experiencing. There is so much history in the area, you can feel it.

There are some great speakers on tap for the event this year. The Col Alto Hampton Inn is offering a discounted rate (by mentioning the SCV) for the weekend. Their number is: 540-463-2223

I will personally be in attendance, & hope to meet some of y'all this year..!

I won't be able to be there in January, but can you give me an idea of what happens during the symposium? What are the basic presentations, etc?

One thing I learned about Jackson, that rather surprised me, from the docent at his house, was how incredibly well-traveled he was. Even coming up here in old New England and spending time in Vermont at some water spas, and how traveled he was with European travel. However, he was the type of traveler that was up at and hit the ground running at 6 am and expected his companions to do the same and didn't stop until evening.

While I think Jackson was a bit hard on his traveling companions on vacation, I have to say I revised my opinion of him as a man and a person while visiting his house and learning about him. My sister and I were fortunate in that we were the only ones on the tour and that may be because WE were up and early and the first ones there for the day, but I'm kind of like Jackson that way:giggle:.

But there were many facets to this man - not all of them comfortable - but he was a genius. I want to show two pictures of his dining room table that reflect that. The docent said not all the furniture in the house is original but this is and was custom made for him UP NORTH. In fact, most of his furniture was made up north and she said that even in the this day, she gets a lot of unhappy comments about that.

I took a picture of the foot of the dining room table because..... it's adjustable! What person wouldn't want that in an old house? I live in a 1774 house. No floor is even. I'd be willing to pay for such a table he had made. He had this table made so the surface would always be even. She points that out but unfortunately the records of where and who made it are lost. Their best guess is somewhere in New York but that's only a guess.

DSCF2967.jpeg
DSCF2968.jpeg
DSCF2968.jpeg

The top piece still actually turns after all these years. Want it!

Back