What is prolonges

Those are ropes with hooks on the end - the ones that are wrapped on the stock of the carriage. They're used to pull the gun when hooking it up to the limber in the normal manner isn't a good choice e.g. as when firing while retreating or quickly moving the gun.

Sounds like the battery with the captured gun was trying to make a hasty retreat and that seemed worth noting to your author.

Last edited:
Those are ropes with hooks on the end - the ones that are wrapped on the stock of the carriage. They're used to pull the gun when hooking it up to the limber in the normal manner isn't a good choice e.g. as when firing while retreating or quickly moving the gun.

Sounds like the battery with the captured gun was trying to make a hasty retreat and that seemed worth noting to your author.
You may see the phrases "firing by prolonges" or "retiring by prolonges" which means that the gun was being pulled by the men using the 12 foot long prolonges backwards and stopping to fire as they went. Usually occurred when the piece's horses were either dead or not available to move the piece.
23561318_1486757781378262_5734586104987785698_n.jpg
Piece-top (2).jpeg

Last edited:
You may see the phrases "firing by prolonges" or "retiring by prolonges" which means that the gun was being pulled by the men using the 12 foot long prolonges backwards and stopping to fire as they went. Usually occurred when the piece's horses were either dead or not available to move the piece.View attachment 305599View attachment 305600
It also means the battery is either advancing or retreating in echelon, firing as they go.....Such a tactic means that one gun is always loaded and ready to fire, thus preventing a charge. I have done this at some reenactments, and it is fun to watch the infantry just stand there and do nothing! :smile:

I'd never have been able to answer this question, and yet it appears to be pretty fundamental to many of you. This is why I keep coming back day after day, and why I learn something new every day here.
It is like my Grandmother always said, It's no good to know good information if you are not willing to share it. And, we are glad to be able to share it.

It is like my Grandmother always said, It's no good to know good information if you are not willing to share it. And, we are glad to be able to share it.

I'm always happy when I can answer somebody's question and one of the things I really like about this forum's members is that they are also happy to share what they know (and we have quite a collection of experts).

Back