1864: Killed during the Battle of Atlanta, Georgia, shot thru his horse​

Died: July 22, 1864

Place of Death: Atlanta, Georgia

Cause of Death: Killed during the Battle of Atlanta

Age at time of Death: 47 years old

Burial Place: Walker Cemetery Augusta, Georgia

IMG_4752.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Shotpouch! One of my very favorite nicknames. He was so named for his propensity to collect Union lead with his body. :smile:
I've heard that nickname before but I don't see where Walker was wounded except that one time that killed him. The "Through the Horse" wound. I think He was wounded in the Seminole war than again in the Mexican War. Was that nickname possibly from the massive mortal He received at Atlanta?

I've heard that nickname before but I don't see where Walker was wounded except that one time that killed him. The "Through the Horse" wound. I think He was wounded in the Seminole war than again in the Mexican War. Was that nickname possibly from the massive mortal He received at Atlanta?

No. They were already calling him that in 1863.

"Wounded in the horse"? Is that a synonym for something else.
That is alright! I am still trying to get a grip on his wife (1843-1868) with children born in 1847, '48, '56, '60, and '62?
Surely, I believe that is the matrimonial spread, and not the life longevity. Plus I believe a cannonball through the horse does not stop the ball from passing through the man holding the reins.
Lubliner.

Walker is an interesting figure to me. He's a hard fighting commander, and solid at division command; heard recently Joe Johnston apparently considered him "the only officer in his command competent to lead a division" (which as a Cleburnite is enough reason to dislike Joe, but hey).
That said, much has been made about his reaction to Cleburne's Dalton Proposal, how Walker tried to out Cleburne as a traitor by sending a copy to Jeff Davis himself. However, it should be noted that he wasn't the only voice at that conference insulting Cleburne. I'd say his actions were more in line with how Southern society viewed the conflict. He's more a symptom of the disease, rather than the source.

Hugh Mercer took over divisional command after Walker was shot and killed. Walker's division was broken up 2 days later and Mercer was relieved of command due to ill health. His son's wounding at Kennesaw Mountain may have contributed to Mercer's illness.

Having done more research on Walker, found a lot more stuff interesting about him.
Dude was commandant of cadets at West Point from 1854-1856. When the war started, he commanded a brigade of Louisiana troops being shipped to Virginia, but resigned in disgust when he was replaced by a non-west pointer, some guy named Richard Taylor (/s. Yeah, he was the original commander of the Tigers Brigade).

Dude served in the Georgia militia until February of 1863, when he resumed his rank in the Confederate Volunteer Army and led first a brigade then a division in the Army of Relief during the Vicksburg Campaign. Soon after, his command was transferred to Georgia, where he took command of Bragg's Reserve Corps at Chickamauga. He was not present at Missionary Ridge, and his only other major engagement before July of 1864 was at Lay's Ferry (which is a can of worms I need to read more into).

His division, about 4200 officers & men strong, fought at Peachtree Creek, where his charge was brought to a standstill by Yankee infantry on high ground and partially entrenched with artillery support. Two days later, he led a charge by Gist's Brigade after the South Carolinian was wounded in a previous charge. His horse was shot out from under him in the first volley, and as he stood up to continue the charge, the second volley unleashed, shooting him in the lungs and killing him.

One wonders what could have transpired for the Confederates in the west had he lived. Despite his limited combat action, he proved an aggressive commander willing to lead his men into danger, just like Cleburne (an odd comparison given the Dalton Affair, I know, but as far as I know, I see no evidence of either men holding a grudge during the Atlanta Campaign). Maybe he would have gotten the promotion to command Hood's Corps rather than S. D. Lee (which would be an automatic improvement considering S. D. Lee's hyperaggressive generalship during the Atlanta Campaign).

Back