Breechldrs Spencer carbine

Duane

Cadet
1613486827749.png

Hello folks. I'm a new member and have been pleasantly surprised at all the information on this site. It's great. I actually was joining for a more specific purpose. I have a Spencer carbine that's been in my family for years. I recently pulled it out of the closet and have become interested in it's history. I'm 73 and anyone who knew anything about it is long gone. It came down from my grandfather. Anyhow it's serial #13286 which I believe is early in the initial production run. I would love to find out what regiment it might have been issued to. There are initials on the stock that may have been put there by the soldier. It certainly appears that way. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. I understand there are a couple of out of print books that might help that I'm going to try to find in the library. I'm also considering having someone refurbish it as the hammer is missing, the barrel is pretty rusty and the forestock has been chewed on by a critter or so it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!
Can you please post some pictures of it. Tracing it back to a particular regiment may be tough, but you never know. You may get lucky with a hit here from someone that owns the Springfield Research Service volumes.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Photos of the marking on top of the receiver and serial# plus the whole carbine would be VERY Helpful to us in helping you with your questions. Looking forward to seeing them

She is an old war horse that didn't deserve that treatment. Hopefully she will tell her story but I believe thats all she has left.

Looks like this spent a hundred years or so in the attic or the corncrib, for sure.
That section of the forestock has been knawed off, and I would guess by mice or rats - gnawing on wood is a characteristic of these critters - they do this to keep their teeth worn down.
or mabye a BEAVER?

Beavers do that same gnawing to keep their ever-growing teeth in check - but i would suggest that it is more likely that a raw or mouse would have had access to this Spencer carbine!

Ed Knisely is a source for original parts for the Spencer carbine and rifle. The last time I checked he had some original stocks and repros. E mail me and I will provide contact info. He doesn't have a website. I don't work for him or make $$ doing this, it just helps a fellow CW buff
Let us know how it goes.

Beavers do that same gnawing to keep their ever-growing teeth in check - but i would suggest that it is more likely that a raw or mouse would have had access to this Spencer carbine!
just ask all of the toilet seats, in the out houses up north! they are after the sweat also.

and almost forgot put your canoe paddles up under lock also, again teeth & sweat from hands.

Duane, That serial number is not identified in the Spring Research Service books. Here are the closest below and above that number:

13135 Carbine 1865 to Co. D, 6th Ill. Vol. Cav.
13295 Carbine 1865 to Co. M, 2d NY Vol. Cav.

Back