Fried Chicken

This is late for "Fried Chicken Day", but it is a good recipe anytime of year!

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

2 cups buttermilk

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 whole chicken, cut into pieces

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

5 cups vegetable oil for frying

Whisk together buttermilk, mustard, salt and pepper, and cayenne in a bowl, and pour into a re-sealable plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours.

When you are ready to cook the chicken, combine the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and onion powder in the other plastic bag. Shake to mix thoroughly. Transfer one marinated chicken piece at a time into the dry ingredient bag, and shake well to ensure complete coverage.

After all chicken pieces are coated, repeat the process by dipping them in the buttermilk marinade and shaking in the dry coating again.

Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, making sure not to burn the oil.

When oil is hot, fry chicken in batches until golden brown and juices run clear, turning chicken to brown evenly.

Many of these chains were bought by Hardee's

If you go fast food, the best chicken I've found is Culvers. Yeah, that surprised me too.

Here in Kansas City, pan fried chicken rivals barbecue as a local specialty. Like the BBQ joints, each chicken place has their own special mix of spices. My particular favorite is Stroud's but Portia's and Pig and Finch are also good,

About two hours down the road in Pittsburgh there is a historical rivalry between two local restaurants - Chicken Mary's and Chicken Anne's. I haven't had a chance to compare the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran across this claim. The thought gives me nightmares.

When the Civil War began and men left their homes to become soldiers, fried chicken took on a new significance. The frying process made chicken less prone to spoilage, allowing women to send it to soldiers fighting in the battlefield.

http://www.pbs.org/food/the-history-kitchen/history-chicken-and-waffles/

Send it through the mail? Send it by courier, to somewhere hours away? Although it does explain why it's regularly listed as picnic food, back then.

Back