1853 Enfield Question

LESullivan

Private
I have an 1853 Reproduction Enfield 3 Band that I just started using for Reenactments. 1st time I ever fired it was this past weekend , I noticed though that after a day of use, I took the ramrod out and when I went to put it back in it would not go easily, and was also of resistance so I did not force it in there. Prior to that when we did our weapons inspection earlier in the day it came out and went back in easy, with little to no effort.
The weapon was not dropped and after the inspection the Ramrod was not removed again until later that night .
Any suggestions or ideas of what may be causing this to happen or a solution to resolve the issue?

There is a metal spring that holds the ramrod in place. There could be something wrong with it? Some foreign matter or debris might have somehow entered the channel where the ramrod sits? In skirmishing the ramrod is typically stuck in the ground, which causes dirt and mud and so on to get into the screwed portion that the different tools attach to... That's certainly one way for foreign material to get in there.

You don't think the rammer got bent, do you?

No definitely not bent, we checked that out, had next to no impact with the weapon, was not beat around or anything like that.
I was told that I could take a chainsaw file and very carefully use it to maybe remove any burrs or anything like that in the slot, have not tried that yet though.

Is it a new P53? Mine is a very tight fit. When out in very high humidity it gets tough to go in and out sometimes. I think the stock swells a little and combine that with a touch of rust on the ramrod makes it real tight. And you might have a touch of debris in the channel. I'd make sure the channel is clean, ramrod is clean with a touch of oil and see what happens before doing anything drastic.

Is it a new P53? Mine is a very tight fit. When out in very high humidity it gets tough to go in and out sometimes. I think the stock swells a little and combine that with a touch of rust on the ramrod makes it real tight. And you might have a touch of debris in the channel. I'd make sure the channel is clean, ramrod is clean with a touch of oil and see what happens before doing anything drastic.
True that. My Texas Revolution smooth-bore flintlock has the rod get stuck in the channel due to the high humidity. I have to twist it and turn it a bit before I can extract it from the channel in the stock.

Yea mine was easy to withdraw and replace when I got it and was Saturday morning, but once Saturday Evening rolled around and I removed it it was way to difficult to place without forcing it into the slot .

If it is a Euroaarms/Pedersoli of new manufacture it will be tight until it is broke in. I would suggest taking a Q tip and applying some olive oil into the slot. That will help to water proof it and will help to prevent the tightness being an issue. Second if you take out the ramrod spoon apply some sewing machine, Rem oil or equivalent. Then you are done cleaning your arm rub the ramrod with an oil soaked patch. All of that combined will help. If you cleaned it strictly with hot water and some got down the ramrod channel it can create some swelling of the wood which makes her tight. If there was powder residue around the threads that can be enough to create a tight fit.

If it's an Armi-Sport or an older Euro Arms the fit and finish isn't always consistent and the ramrod spoon may be the issue. Years ago I dealt w/ a Euroarms P53 that had a ramrod spoon that was twice as thick as any I have seen before or since. The owner had to replace it with a normal sized one. But I don't think that is it as he had a devil of a time no matter when he dealt with the ramrod.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

not yet I am doing that this evening, all I did was flush out the barrel like they told me to until it ran clear then turn it up on the barrel to let it dry...
I have an article somewhere that advises against it. One, it was rarely done in the field by solders, two, it wrecks your accuracy in the same way that it would with a modern bolt action rifle unless your stock is bedded and you retorque the fasteners to the same torque setting as when you sighted it in. The writer of the articles stated that he coated the bottom of the barrel with a film of water pump grease to prevent corrosion.

I have an article somewhere that advises against it. One, it was rarely done in the field by solders, two, it wrecks your accuracy in the same way that it would with a modern bolt action rifle unless your stock is bedded and you retorque the fasteners to the same torque setting as when you sighted it in. The writer of the articles stated that he coated the bottom of the barrel with a film of water pump grease to prevent corrosion.

@CowCavalry could you elaborate? I don’t quite follow what “it” you refer to. If you mean cleaning the stock with water then I understand. Otherwise I’m confused. Thanks.

Update, I got the ramrod to go back in, I made sure that it was free from obstruction and put a little lubricant in the slot and gradually inserted the ramrod until I worked it in. It goes in as it should now and I am able to remove it without having to pull like my life depended on it. Thanks for all the help....
My next question , I was doing some research as far as maintenance of the enfield and I seen where the nipple was removed and after cleaning it , they placed Teflon tape around the threads before reinserting and tightening. I was told to use Bore Butter on the threads , but either way what I gathered was that either one ultimately stops the nipple from seizing and being a pain to remove.
What is recommended is what I am getting at, Bore Butter? Teflon Tape? Or something else??
Thanks

Update, I got the ramrod to go back in, I made sure that it was free from obstruction and put a little lubricant in the slot and gradually inserted the ramrod until I worked it in. It goes in as it should now and I am able to remove it without having to pull like my life depended on it. Thanks for all the help....
My next question , I was doing some research as far as maintenance of the enfield and I seen where the nipple was removed and after cleaning it , they placed Teflon tape around the threads before reinserting and tightening. I was told to use Bore Butter on the threads , but either way what I gathered was that either one ultimately stops the nipple from seizing and being a pain to remove.
What is recommended is what I am getting at, Bore Butter? Teflon Tape? Or something else??
Thanks
I usually just put a dab of oil on the threads and don't over tighten it just make it snug. I've never had any trouble getting it off. I do take it off every cleaning.

I often use bore butter or even excess Minié/Burton ball lube on the cone threads, and avoid going gorilla tight... Like I did on my wife's paper-cartridge Sharps carbine! No idea how I'll get that cone off again... :nah disagree:

Back