Impressions Your Impression

2rivcob73

Corporal
Hello All,
I figured this would be a good place for everyone to post what their impressions are and ways they are looking to improve their impressions. We are here to get better and to educate so please keep the posts cordial. Here is mine, I am a portraying a Sgt. in the 2nd Rhode Island Co. B. Things I would like to improve on are the small little things of my impression, proper "haverstack stuffers" proper camp life and also just the proper vocabulary for the time period. I am also looking to lose a few pounds to make my body type more appropriate for the time period as well.

30 Sep 2019 503.JPG

Quit drinking beer and sugary drinks, cut out fast food and walk a few miles a day. That's what Ive been doing. I decided to get back into the hobby after 9 yrs of not doing it and none of my wool fit. I got fat. So I bought all new uniforms and a new waist belt. That was in July. Ive been at my no booze and sugary drink thing since July 1st and Im at a point where I need to keep at it so I can fit my old uniforms or I need to buy more uniforms again cause the ones I just bought ain't gonna fit so good. Your impression looks pretty good, Id say mid warish. Id put a little elbow grease into the musket. Steel wool and some oil on the ramrod and a brass or bronze brush with some oil on your barrel would get rid of that rust. Keep a light coat of bore butter on the steel parts to keep the rust away. You portray a Sgt so you need to set the example for your privates by keeping your kit in tip top shape! I keep a pipe in my haversack, as well as my plate and fork. Im working on finding an old picture frame to put a picture of my wife and daughter in, got one of them old times photos of them done. I also carry extra buttons, a couple needles and dark blue thread. We all know buttons like to loosen up and go MIA.

Haversack stuffers...tooth brush, and powder, a “housewife” which is where you keep needle/thread/buttons. That’s all I can think of.

not bad impression, now I'm no expert in Federal since I am a Confederate, but i think your belt maybe a sword belt if im not mistaking. i also believe that the haversack has to be tarred. I believe that you have a battlefield pick up of an enfield musket.

Well here's me for the Florida season. Pretty generic CS kit. WW&Co. commutation jacket and trousers, CS accoutrement set and shoes from Missouri Boot, Dirty Billy hat, tared haversack, tin drum canteen, and blanket from Family Heirloom. When I go north and just a private I wear a Richmond Depot Type II jacket of about the same color. I fall in with 3 different companies during the year, luckily all ANV units so that's what I'm shooting for, mid war ANV. I'm currently working on a AoT impression for Bentonville in March, will update that when complete. Like most of us I'm too old and fluffy but working hard on the latter, unfortunately can't change the former.
DSCN7511.JPG

Quit drinking beer and sugary drinks, cut out fast food and walk a few miles a day. That's what Ive been doing. I decided to get back into the hobby after 9 yrs of not doing it and none of my wool fit. I got fat. So I bought all new uniforms and a new waist belt. That was in July. Ive been at my no booze and sugary drink thing since July 1st and Im at a point where I need to keep at it so I can fit my old uniforms or I need to buy more uniforms again cause the ones I just bought ain't gonna fit so good. Your impression looks pretty good, Id say mid warish. Id put a little elbow grease into the musket. Steel wool and some oil on the ramrod and a brass or bronze brush with some oil on your barrel would get rid of that rust. Keep a light coat of bore butter on the steel parts to keep the rust away. You portray a Sgt so you need to set the example for your privates by keeping your kit in tip top shape! I keep a pipe in my haversack, as well as my plate and fork. Im working on finding an old picture frame to put a picture of my wife and daughter in, got one of them old times photos of them done. I also carry extra buttons, a couple needles and dark blue thread. We all know buttons like to loosen up and go MIA.
Thanks! Ya it was the sunday of the battle and the overnight had a crazy amount of moisture for a day where it didnt rain, even with it in the gunsock overnight it rusted like crazy and I didnt have my full cleaning kit with me just a field kit. The bayonet and rammer get put through a spin wheel to get nice and clean after events like that.

not bad impression, now I'm no expert in Federal since I am a Confederate, but i think your belt maybe a sword belt if im not mistaking. i also believe that the haversack has to be tarred. I believe that you have a battlefield pick up of an enfield musket.
Ya when we bought our rifles a while back we were told by our sgt at the time go with enfield because it is easier to clean, looking back i wish i had gotten the springfield and i cant afford to buy a new one right now but it is on the list (just dont tell my wife haha). My haversack is tarred, i wasnt wearing it in this shot it is actually two canteens, i typically carry a spare in the field in case anyone runs out.

Ya when we bought our rifles a while back we were told by our sgt at the time go with enfield because it is easier to clean, looking back i wish i had gotten the springfield and i cant afford to buy a new one right now but it is on the list (just dont tell my wife haha). My haversack is tarred, i wasnt wearing it in this shot it is actually two canteens, i typically carry a spare in the field in case anyone runs out.

I have both and both enfield and Springfield
are just as easy to clean. The only real difference is one is couple pounds lighter than the other.

I don't have a picture to put up, since I'm only in the beginning stages(as in falling in using loaner gear at the next event 😄 ) but my impression will be a Confederate Staff Officer, Longstreet's Headquarters.

I have a lot to decide right now lol. Probably will start with brogans and then probably a vest, as it looks like I will either be without, or have a too large one pinned in back to fit me.

Back