Breechldrs Smith Carbine

I can't claim to be an expert on Smith's, but have been collecting for a long time and nothing about this jumps out at me as being wrong.

The wood is quite proud of the metal, and the letters have excellent edges, so no evidence of sanding. The letters in the middle of the address are somewhat weak, but the ones around the outside are strong so I tend to think it more likely to be due to a poor strike, or weak die rather than recent polishing. I understand why you think it looks too new, but I have seen any number of old guns that were never used and have been well cared for that look like this.

I would bet that someone here will know the dealer. That would be key to me. If it is someone with good credibility and the experience to judge the gun, then I think it is an excellent example. Having it in hand is usually worth a lot more than photos.

This gun looks like it never saw any action. Actually looks TOO good.
Brent Wilburn, the seller, has been in business a long time and is a trusted and honest dealer.

There's nothing "wrong" with the Smith, and it's not too hard to find one in the same or even better condition.
Without the actual serial number {"4400 range"} it's impossible to pin down the unit to which it was issued.

Brent Wilburn, the seller, has been in business a long time and is a trusted and honest dealer.

There's nothing "wrong" with the Smith, and it's not too hard to find one in the same or even better condition.
Without the actual serial number {"4400 range"} it's impossible to pin down the unit to which it was issued.
Thanks for responding. I will ask what the actual SN is. Would you care to venture a guess as to year of manufacture if the SN is in the 4400 range?

Last edited:
The only thing I can add is the cosigner stated. I would see if there is a letter of provenance etc.
"This item is a consignment and our customer stated that he purchased this rifle from Antique Arms Dealer and Author of the greatest book on Antique American Firearms ever written, Norm Flayderman in 2005."

The full serial number for this Smith carbine is 4443. See photo. Any additional comments/info would be appreciated.

DSC03785.JPG

GP are the initials attributed to George Palmer. I wold not classify it it as not seeing action. See attached

View attachment 407890
Was George palmer an inspector? What rifle are you showing here? Below is a photo of the GP stamp on the rifle I am interested in. So, you think the rifle I am interested in, did indeed see action? The early serial number (4443) would support that assumption.

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 3.58.10 PM.png

Was George palmer an inspector? What rifle are you showing here? Below is a photo of the GP stamp on the rifle I am interested in. So, you think the rifle I am interested in, did indeed see action? The early serial number (4443) would support that assumption.

View attachment 407918
George Palmer was an inspector. In looking at the photos I don't see many dents, dings and bumps you would see on an issued cavalry carbine. They took a beating and there should be wear on the sling ring.

George Palmer was an inspector. In looking at the photos I don't see many dents, dings and bumps you would see on an issued cavalry carbine. They took a beating and there should be wear on the sling ring.
ucvrelics,

I guess I'm confused. At first, I thought you said the following about the gun I'm I interested in. ...."I would not classify it it as not seeing action". Now you seem to say that you don't see dents, dings and bumps, implying that you don't believe it saw action. Help me out. Which is it?

ucvrelics,

I guess I'm confused. At first, I thought you said the following about the gun I'm I interested in. ...."I would not classify it it as not seeing action". Now you seem to say that you don't see dents, dings and bumps, implying that you don't believe it saw action. Help me out. Which is it?
That was John that said that not me.

The photo I attached was for comparison of mine they I highly doubt was issued. I'm just saying I believe the one you are looking at was issued, but handled with care and may have seen little usage. It didn't sit in an arsenal. INHO
Thanks for clearing that up for me. So, you do think mine was issued, but used very little. I get it now.

Back