Saber

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Someone brought this saber to CWRT tonight so what about it?
20190610_204540.jpg

Last edited:
Its a David J Millard model 1860 cav sword. His contract was for 10000 so they are somewhat rare. The CEW is inspector Charles E. Wilson.

Eric Wittenberg gave a talk at the CWRT on Minty and Wilder at Chickamauga so the grouping from the 123rd Illinois was a great addition. I recognized the rifle, but did no know much about the saber.

Great saber! That Spencer looks nice as well! Thanks for sharing!

The scabbard apears to be inscribed with battles and such and then nickle plated whick makes the inscription a bit hard to read. Still a great grouping for anyone interested in Illinois.

The weapons were broght to the CWRT by Ken Baumann, author of Arming the Suckers, 1861-1865: Compilation of Illinois Civil War Weapons.

Last edited:
The weapons were broght to the CWRT by Ken Naumann, author of Arming the Suckers, 1861-1865: Compilation of Illinois Civil War Weapons.

CWRTs are great community events, a great way to share CW history brought to life. I definitely want that book.

Recently some of us have been asked to not bring weapons, not even repros, into public venues. Should we be pushing back on that?

Last edited:
"Arming the Suckers, 1861-1865: Compilation of Illinois Civil War Weapons" is an excellent book for an arms researcher to have in his library.

As for "pushing back" regarding ACW lectures, with arms, in the schools, there is no pushing back in my state, It is not a matter of policy, it flat out against the Laws of the State. That's a legal battle you will not win today.
J.

"Arming the Suckers, 1861-1865: Compilation of Illinois Civil War Weapons" is an excellent book for an arms researcher to have in his library.

As for "pushing back" regarding ACW lectures, with arms, in the schools, there is no pushing back in my state, It is not a matter of policy, it flat out against the Laws of the State. That's a legal battle you will not win today.
J.

Yes but check the price for this book, usually around $150 to $500.

I am shocked at the prices you've quoted! I bought my copy at a gun show three weeks ago for $25.00. I don't believe shopping online is always the best way to go. Convenient, yes, but apparently more expensive.
J.

I have searched for it a couple of times on line and have seen it run from $125 to $575.

Back