Recipes for Christmas

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
With Christmas almost here, thought post some recipes for Christmas to share with you.

Recipe for Dec. 16

Cinnamon Candy

1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup water

Combine ingredients. Boil to soft crack stage (255 to 280 degrees). Pour into well buttered shallow pan. When cool, cut in squares.

Recipe for Dec. 17

Cranberry Relish was very popular back in 19th century as well as now. This is good recipe to make and give to friends.

2 cups fresh cranberries
grated rind and juice from 1 orange
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon dry English mustard powder dissolved in 1 teaspoon cold water
1 tablespoon vinegar

Wash cranberries and place in heavy saucepan. Add orange rind and juice and the sugar. Bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in mustard and vinegar.
Chill 24 hours, then pack into jars. Present as gifts immediately or store in refrigerator.

Recipe for Dec. 17

Cranberry Relish was very popular back in 19th century as well as now. This is good recipe to make and give to friends.

2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar

Wash cranberries and place in heavy saucepan. Add orange rind and juice and the sugar. Bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in mustard and vinegar.
Chill 24 hours, then pack into jars. Present as gifts immediately or store in refrigerator.
What a nice and simple recipe! Thank you! I love Cranberry Relish as a topping. A friend once told me that he has a recipe for Cranberry Maple Syrup that utilizes Cranberry Relish. I'm going to try this--but I shan't be giving it as gifts!

Last edited:
Dec. 18

Sweet and Salted Almonds

Nuts were very popular in the 19th century. These sweet and salted almonds are a family pleaser.

2 cups whole blanched almonds
1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the almonds on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Roast for about 15 minutes, tossing occasionally. They should be light brown.
While on the baking sheet, toss warm almonds with salt and sugar. Let cool. Drain almonds on paper towel. You can store these for about 2 weeks or serve right away as nibbles.

I got behind yesterday, Dec. 19 so posting this recipe and information for Dec. 19 and 20

Green peas were a favorite Christmas dish for 18th century and after. Cookbooks printed in England and America in 1700s included instructions on how to keep green peas for Christmas. After blanching or salting, the peas were packed in jars, then the jars were filled with melted fat and sealed. Early on the containers that held the peas were earthenware, with seals made of thin leather. Later, glass jars were stoppered with cork, which were then dipped in melted rosin.

Today we can enjoy peas fresh, from cans or frozen.

With Christmas almost here, thought post some recipes for Christmas to share with you.

Recipe for Dec. 16

Cinnamon Candy

1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup water

Combine ingredients. Boil to soft crack stage (255 to 280 degrees). Pour into well buttered shallow pan. When cool, cut in squares.
Just thought I would let you know, the General in Chief made a batch of this candy and it is delicious! It didn't last long as the grandkids were equally delighted with it. More is on the way!

Dec. 21
Old Time Mashed Potato Fudge

This was fudge my Granny made. It was delicious.

3 squares of unsweetened chocolate
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup unseasoned mashed potatoes (not instant)
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 lbs. powdered sugar

Melt together the chocolate and butter. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the sugar and stir until blended. Very slowly add the powdered sugar, and make sure worked into chocolate mixture.
Knead the mixture. Pack down mixture in buttered pan. Cut into squares. You can add piece of walnut to top of each square.

Enjoy!

Maine has a potato candy called "Needham". The ingredients are pretty much the same except that mashed potatoes are combined with coconut and coated with the chocolate. The taste must be pretty much the same and I'll bet that anyone who likes Mounds or Almond Joy will love this fudge!

Dec. 22 and 23

Lace Cookies

1 cup butter
2 cups light brown sugar
1 egg
3 cups oats
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all together and drop 1/2 teaspoon on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until slightly brown. Cool and serve.

And

Old Fashioned Gingerbread

Mix 1 3/4 teaspoon of soda with 1 cup sour milk.
Add 1 cup molasses.

Sift together 2 1/4 cups flour and 1 teaspoon salt.
Combine mixtures and add 2 tablespoons of butter.

Bake in greased pan in moderate oven for 25 minutes.

An old recipe from the Bixler family.

Dec. 24

A traditional New England dish to go with your turkey dinner. My Aunt always served oysters.

Scalloped Oysters

2 cups oyster crackers
1 pint oysters
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon saly
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon parsley
2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Layer bottom of your dish with half of the crackers. Top with oysters and drizzle 1/4 cup cream over oysters. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on the parsley. Top with the remaining cracker, cream, and salt and pepper. Dot with butter.
Bake for 25 minutes until bubbly and slightly browned.

I love oysters. My mom always made oyster stuffing. I also love cranberries as well as the juice. We are having Christmas Dinner at my stepsons and his girlfriend's place, Not much cooking here, except pies. Merry Christmas everyone! Have an exceptional and enjoy all of the wonderful food. No Turkey, just Ham, but I was going to get a Cajun Turkey at Popeye's just to try it.

Recipe for Dec. 17

2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar

I've just tried this--it is excellent! Next year I'll make extra to share.

Dec. 25, Christmas Day

We are having ham today for our Christmas dinner.

I am posting my Granny's ham with pineapple.

1 pound sliced ham
1/2 cup pineapple juice
4 slices pineapple
12 marshmallows

Bake ham 30 minutes. Drain off the fat. Cover ham with pineapple and juice. Bake in slow oven until ham is tender. Baste frequently. Turn pineapple and allow both sides to brown. Cover with marshmallows and place back in oven until marshmallows are puffed and slightly brown.

Merry Christmas to you all.

For Christmas dinner this year we are having, ham, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce and cake for dessert.

Love the Brussels sprouts. I forgot we having my husband's cloverleaf rolls. They are are so good.

What some of you having?

Back