Real or Faux? Original Enfield tompion?

drezac

Sergeant
Forum Host
I just counted the brass links on 12 original snap cap chains. All had 6 links, so I stopped at P53 number 12 The one on Flea-bay is not original. Sorry generallee292 the poster.
🚩🚩🚩 I have seen his stuff on Ebay, and have always been suspicious ever since he listed a "rare U.S. marked linstock". He must have found a couple of cases leftover from Banermans, as every few months they would show up on ebay with the same photo....:cautious:

Last edited:

bobinwmass

Corporal
When I used to sell more on Ebay 10-15 years ago, I had several items removed from sale that I knew were good, but apparently someone complained about. (I think it was someone I had to file several "no payment" claims on.) Now there are tons of obvious fakes being sold and Ebay has made it virtually impossible to report them to get them pulled. I know because I have tried in order to protect some unsuspecting novice but gave up. Their concern now seems to be getting their share of any and all sales with no concern about the legitimacy of the items being sold.

BillH

Private
The same issues on eBay with Montblanc fountain pens. Outright fakes listed and sold as MB for ridiculously low prices. Some look very good too and lots of folks are fooled. And the'bay couldn't care less anymore, if they ever did. A pox on them all.

Adam1stVa

Corporal
I have had to correct many sellers on ebay about calling a Martini Henry bayonet a "Civil War Enfield Bayonet". A couple have disagreed with me, but I have pointed out all the differences.

KHyatt

Corporal
The seller of the tompion finally contacted me with the following message: "We will refund the $12.43 - thank you." Even though I was the one who suggested to him that this would be acceptable, I thought it was sort of a CS way out. I still plan to report to ebay that the tompion was fraudulently listed. I just have to be at another computer to do so but I will later.