Looking For Edgard Calvin Ellington!

Good evening all,

I hope you are all well. I have 300 + Civil War records request sitting and collecting dust at the National Archives since early March of this year. They are all pending and nothing is happening at the archives UNTIL the virus subsides (for the employees safety).

Unfortunately this has held up numerous family lines I am researching.

I am requesting help on a particularly difficult soldier I have only found dead ends on. His name was Edgard Calvin Ellington, born October 29, 1829 and he died September 4, 1862 (presumable in battle).

He was born in Waltham County, Georgia, but so far no luck with finding him through publicized muster rolls.

Somebody erroneously stated (on Ancestry) that his place of death was in Warwickshire, England.

I am now looking through Warwick, RI muster rolls as a practical research point. So far I found another Ellington killed in battle, but not Edgard Calvin Ellington.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

James Andrews

Hello Gang Thanks for having me! I am a member of The Son's Of The Confederacy and need information om my Great Great Grandfathers younger brother! His name was Edgard Calvin Ellington We know for a fact he was born
Oct 29-1829 in Campton, Walton County, Georgia but his death is a problem for us! he died on Sep 4-1862 in battle but then is gets tricky, We always assumed he died in Virginia but someone on Ancestry.com said he died in Warwickshire England and we can not figure out where they got the information! Edgard is something of a mystery and we would like more information on him! Can someone please help me locate his CSA records so we can put the mystery to bed once and for all!

We always assumed he died in Virginia but someone on Ancestry.com said he died in Warwickshire England and we can not figure out where they got the information!

Good to have you here -- thanks for joining. I would be cautious about these kinds of claims people make on Ancestry and other family history platforms. I've seen many mistakes on people's family trees.

Do you know Edgar's regiment and company? And are you sure he died in the war? On Fold3, I see amnesty papers for Edgar Ellington -- dropping the middle name and the "d." But the papers are from 1865, and he appears to have been living in Quitman County, Georgia. Might not be the same person you are looking for.

Roy B.

From What I was told years back he went to Virginia and All that was on your family tree in 1984 was Unfortunately there are no accurate records or family information available on Edgard (Edward) Calvin Ellington Some records say he married Elizabeth Jane Vaughn Certain unsubstantiated family data say he never married and died on Sept 4th​ 1862 in battle during the Civil War. From notes taken during conversations with Jess Harold Ellington, Oxford Ga (As he recalled information given to him by his father Albert S.J.Ellington Unfortunately This is all I know! He may have been named Edward Calvin Ellington I have seen it written 2 ways!

First off, I would toss out the England death data. I have a whole group in my family from that same "Global, FindaGrave Index" that are mistakenly placed in England when I KNOW they were in Texas. It's some glitch that's giving bad results.

Is Edgar Caswell Ellinton kin to you? He seems to be living in the same area as another Ellington family that who I think is your gr-gr-grandfather's. In the 1850 Census Calvin Ellington, born circa 1830, lives in Randolph County, Georgia. Interestingly he seems to have been counted twice - once in the household of James Ellington (his father if the FindaGrave listing you shared in your other thread is correct) and the second time in the household of M. Ellington where his occupation is listed as "overseer." That these two men live nearby gives a lot of confusing records returns but it looks like they could be sorted with some patience.

As to Civil War records, I can't find anything linked to a soldier with the first initial E or a Calvin or anyone in Georgia named Ellington who seems to fit your guy. I found an amnesty application from Edgar C. Ellington from Quitman County, Georgia which claims he had been a staunch Union man earlier in life and "took no active part in the war, not having for a single hour born arms in any capacity against the government of the United States." If this is Edgar Caswell Ellington he must have thought of any "home guard" duties he had after being put on the muster roll in Quitman County in 1862 as being purely defensive and not an act of war! Or he did so little that it didn't seem to count. Maybe he went out unarmed, which I suppose was possible, though foolish.

As to the Calvin Ellington living in Randolph County in 1850, I can find no further record. That he doesn't have a CSA record doesn't mean he didn't fight. The name could be terrible mangled in the records. He could have served in a home guard unit that didn't get formally enrolled into the Confederate Army. He could have gone off to enlist and gotten sick or killed before getting into a record.

Hello Gang Thanks for having me! I am a member of The Son's Of The Confederacy and need information om my Great Great Grandfathers younger brother! His name was Edgard Calvin Ellington We know for a fact he was born
Oct 29-1829 in Campton, Walton County, Georgia but his death is a problem for us! he died on Sep 4-1862 in battle but then is gets tricky, We always assumed he died in Virginia but someone on Ancestry.com said he died in Warwickshire England and we can not figure out where they got the information! Edgard is something of a mystery and we would like more information on him! Can someone please help me locate his CSA records so we can put the mystery to bed once and for all!
On Fold3, I see amnesty papers for Edgar Ellington -- dropping the middle name and the "d." But the papers are from 1865, and he appears to have been living in Quitman County, Georgia. Might not be the same person you are looking for.
That Edgar Ellington seems to have been older than the one described as born in 1829. That one is shown in the 1860 US Census as born in about 1819. He has a 2yo son or grandson named E C Ellington though.
1600209799526.png

EDIT TO ADD: I looked for Georgia service records for Edgar, Edward, EC Ellington, Elington, Elenton, Ellenton, etc. and found none.

From What I was told years back he went to Virginia and All that was on your family tree in 1984 was Unfortunately there are no accurate records or family information available on Edgard (Edward) Calvin Ellington Some records say he married Elizabeth Jane Vaughn Certain unsubstantiated family data say he never married and died on Sept 4th​ 1862 in battle during the Civil War. From notes taken during conversations with Jess Harold Ellington, Oxford Ga (As he recalled information given to him by his father Albert S.J.Ellington Unfortunately This is all I know! He may have been named Edward Calvin Ellington I have seen it written 2 ways!

Sorry, this is as close as I could get.

Screenshot (2).png

Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum soon.
Regards
David

Back