NF JEB Stuart

Non-Fiction
I have Bold Dragoon by Emory Thomas. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things on this forum. Does anyone have an opinion, good or bad?

It's good. I think the 1999 edition is the one to pick up, as Thomas corrected some errors in the 1986 one. There were more papers and information on Stuart released that had been unavailable for the first edition, so naturally he'd want to fix the bio.

It's good. I think the 1999 edition is the one to pick up, as Thomas corrected some errors in the 1986 one. There were more papers and information on Stuart released that had been unavailable for the first edition, so naturally he'd want to fix the bio.

My issue with Thomas' bio is that he insisted on playing amateur psychiatrist, psychoanalyzing Stuart 150 years later, claiming that he knew what Stuart was thinking regarding the rationale for this ride during the Gettysburg Campaign. As one of my very favorite military philosophers of all time, Col. Sherman T. Potter of the 4077th MASH, used to say, "horse hockey!"

@diane Thanks for the insight! I believe mine is the 1986 edition, but I'll have to check. I couldn't pass it up for $1.

Based on @Eric Wittenberg 's recommendation, I'll have to find a copy of Wert's book. Thanks!

My issue with Thomas' bio is that he insisted on playing amateur psychiatrist, psychoanalyzing Stuart 150 years later, claiming that he knew what Stuart was thinking regarding the rationale for this ride during the Gettysburg Campaign. As one of my very favorite military philosophers of all time, Col. Sherman T. Potter of the 4077th MASH, used to say, "horse hockey!"

I think that is a flaw in his work - I noticed that in his Lee bio, too. That's why it's always good to read more than one bio of somebody!

I favor Jeb Stuart the Last Cavalier by Burke Davis.

I agree with you. I thoroughly enjoyed that book... overall a great read that will not disappoint. The author really delved into who J.E.B. Stuart was in this body of work, covering his early days with the U.S. Dragoons and the 1st U.S. Cavalry (Company "K"), to include his service on the frontier protecting western expansion. And of course his service with the Confederate States Army (Cavalry). I was excited when I purchased the book quite a few years ago and since then I have read it a few times. If I were to recommend one book on J.E.B. Stuart it would be "J.E.B. Stuart; the Last Cavalier."

Last edited:
JEB is my 10th cousin 6 times removed. Distant but blood is blood. LOL
I once got to talk on the phone with Colonel J. E. B. Stuart (retired U. S. Army) and asked him this question. This was 2006 so somewhat dated, but, he said Thomason's book was his choice, because he (Thomason) was a military man and felt Emory Thomas was a academician and therefore not as good. As you can imagine, was a great moment for me. He is a great guy.

Major General J.E. B. Stuart was mortally wounded on this date in 1864. In honor of "Jeb" who I consider to be one of the three "top generals": Along with R.E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. Who gets a bad rap about Gettysburg!
Jeb Stuart 2019.jpg

Could you break that down for me....!!! (Just kidding)
Could you break that down for me....!!! (Just kidding)

J. E. B. and David are 10th cousins 6 times removed.
J. E. B. Stuart and David Shockley are both descendants of John Stewart.
1. J. E. B. is the son of Archibald Stuart 2. Archibald is the son of Alexander Stuart
3. Alexander is the son of Alexander Stuart
4. Alexander is the son of Archibald Stuart 5. Archibald is the son of Andrew Stewart
6. Andrew is the son of Robert Stewart
7. Robert is the son of Robert Stewart
8. Robert is the son of Andrew (Stuart) Stewart
9. Andrew is the son of Margaret Stewart
10. Margaret is the daughter of Janet Stewart
11. Janet is the daughter of John Stewart
This makes John the ninth great grandfather of J. E. B..

1. David is the son of Merlin Shockley jr.
2. Merlin is the son of Merlin Sherman Shockley Sr.
3. Merlin is the son of John Lee Shockley
4. John is the son of John Washington Sylvester Shockley
5. John is the son of Manoah Shockley
6. Manoah is the son of John Floyd Shockley Sr.
7. John is the son of Meredith Shockley
8. Meredith is the son of Elizabeth Meredith (Adkins) Shockley
9. Elizabeth is the daughter of William Vortimer Adkins Jr.
10. William is the son of William Adkins Sr
11. William is the son of John Adkins
12. John is the son of Thomas Adkins
13. Thomas is the son of Hester (Fraser) Adkins
14. Hester is the daughter of Elizabeth (Stewart) Fraser
15. Elizabeth is the daughter of John Stewart
16. John is the son of John (Stewart) Stewart Earl of Atholl 3rd
17. John is the son of John Stewart
This makes John the 15th great grandfather of David.

J. E. B. and David are 10th cousins 6 times removed.
J. E. B. Stuart and David Shockley are both descendants of John Stewart.
1. J. E. B. is the son of Archibald Stuart 2. Archibald is the son of Alexander Stuart
3. Alexander is the son of Alexander Stuart
4. Alexander is the son of Archibald Stuart 5. Archibald is the son of Andrew Stewart
6. Andrew is the son of Robert Stewart
7. Robert is the son of Robert Stewart
8. Robert is the son of Andrew (Stuart) Stewart
9. Andrew is the son of Margaret Stewart
10. Margaret is the daughter of Janet Stewart
11. Janet is the daughter of John Stewart
This makes John the ninth great grandfather of J. E. B..

1. David is the son of Merlin Shockley jr.
2. Merlin is the son of Merlin Sherman Shockley Sr.
3. Merlin is the son of John Lee Shockley
4. John is the son of John Washington Sylvester Shockley
5. John is the son of Manoah Shockley
6. Manoah is the son of John Floyd Shockley Sr.
7. John is the son of Meredith Shockley
8. Meredith is the son of Elizabeth Meredith (Adkins) Shockley
9. Elizabeth is the daughter of William Vortimer Adkins Jr.
10. William is the son of William Adkins Sr
11. William is the son of John Adkins
12. John is the son of Thomas Adkins
13. Thomas is the son of Hester (Fraser) Adkins
14. Hester is the daughter of Elizabeth (Stewart) Fraser
15. Elizabeth is the daughter of John Stewart
16. John is the son of John (Stewart) Stewart Earl of Atholl 3rd
17. John is the son of John Stewart
This makes John the 15th great grandfather of David.
Wow you should be very proud. Have you ever had the chance to speak with Col. J.E. B. Stuart? He is a very neat guy. He took the time once to call a complete stranger about some questions I had for him.

Back