What is this? Help identify more bullets.

kcox418

Private
Dug these in a Union camp in Calhoun, Ga. Believe it was the 20th Corps.

B7DFB1EF-FB24-4727-9C73-ADC66CAF56C0.jpeg

DE4D3901-32B1-4321-8902-8432F3462D36.jpeg

40E25DCA-225C-4740-A31E-C3576126C0A3.jpeg

503A593B-627C-4179-8390-F39FB80775E1.jpeg

I pretty sure the .54 caliber bullet is a modern muzzle loading bullet, made by Hornaday, called a REAL bullet (rifling engaged at loading), or maybe their Great Plains bullet. 20 years ago, their muzzle loading bullets were made of lead, and some were hollow point. Now, with the advent of in line muzzle loaders, they're shooting sub caliber copper cased bullets in sabots.

The others I believe are CW related, .51 caliber so I would believe they were dropped. Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along to tell you what they are.

Last edited:
I pretty sure the .54 caliber bullet is a modern muzzle loading bullet, made by Hornaday, called a REAL bullet (rifling engaged at loading), or maybe their Great Plains bullet. 20 years ago, their muzzle loading were made of lead, and some were hollow point. Now, with the advent of in line muzzle loaders, they're shooting sub caliber copper cased bullets in sabots.

The others I believe are CW related, .51 caliber so I would believe they were dropped. Someone more knowledgeable than we will be along to tell you what they are.
Awesome thank u!

It should think that It would be pretty easy to find what Union unit these bullets may have come from. It would be Union cavalry that operated in your area, and with some research, you might be able to come up with the the unit that carried Smith's

from Wikipedia, a partial list of Union Cav. that used Smiths.'

It should think that It would be pretty easy to find what Union unit these bullets may have come from. It would be Union cavalry that operated in your area, and with some research, you might be able to come up with the the unit that carried Smith's

Thanks! I know the camp site has the 20th corps / 3rd division. Just not sure how to determine whom all made that up.

Thanks! I know the camp site has the 20th corps / 3rd division. Just not sure how to determine whom all made that up.

What you're looking for is the Union "Order of Battle" for the 20th corps in the Atlanta Campaign.

Here ya go, I've already done your heavy lifting. Scroll down the page and it will list the cavalry attached to the 20th corp. There were three divisions of Cavalry.

You can already discount the 7th Illinois Cavalry, they didn't take part in the Atlanta campaign. They were running around in TN & MS--my gg grandfather was with them. And not all of companies of the 7th had Smith's, they also had Sharps carbines.

If you are sure that the camp site was of the 20th Corps / 3rd division, then you have 3 possibilities:
the 10th Ohio, the 3rd Ky, and 4 companies of the 3rd Indiana cavalry, but check it for yourself to make sure I didn't miss something.

Last edited:
The first one is a modern maxi-ball bullet. The other two are .50 Smith style bullets and could be used in either the .50 Smith Paper & Foil Cartridge patented by Poultney or the .50 Gallager Paper and Foil cartridge patented by Poultney. Both styles of cartridges were manufactured by B.C. English in the North East.

What you're looking for is the Union "Order of Battle" for the 20th corps in the Atlanta Campaign.

Here ya go, I've already done your heavy lifting. Scroll down the page and it will list the cavalry attached to the 20th corp. There were three divisions of Cavalry.

You can already discount the 7th Illinois Cavalry, they didn't take part in the Atlanta campaign. They were running around in TN & MS--my gg grandfather was with them. And not all of companies of the 7th had Smith's, they also had Sharps carbines.

If you are sure that the camp site was of the 20th Corps / 3rd division, then you have 3 possibilities:
the 10th Ohio, the 3rd Ky, and 4 companies of the 3rd Indiana cavalry, but check it for yourself to make sure I didn't miss something.
awesome!!! Definitely will look thru all of it!! I really appreciate it! So cool!

Back