1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Fighting for Slavery?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - Secession and Politics' started by Drew, Feb 18, 2013.

1. CMWinkler

CMWinkler Colonel Forum Host Retired Moderator

The aim was independence, yes. The result would have been the preservation of slavery. The perceived threat to slavery,together with other reasons, prompted the desire for independence.

Constitution likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l Member of the Year

"The new constitution has put at rest forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution--African slavery as it exists amongst us--the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution." -- Alexander H. Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy, in a speech in Savannah, Georgia, March 21, 1861.

Diana9 and leftyhunter like this.
  4. CMWinkler

I don't mean to sound critical, Top, but you appear to be repeating yourself.

5. unionblue

CMWinkler,

Again, you seem to want to put the cart before the horse. :smile:

Again, the desire, the need for independence, does not spring from people or the earth without reason. There must be a cause, a reason, for the desire for independence, can we not agree?

Now, you have listed "the perceived threat to slavery" and then you state there were other reasons that "prompted the desire for independence." We seem to be in agreement that there must be a "prompted" desire for independence before that desire takes place, do we not?

Or have I misread?

Sincerely,
    Unionblue

6. 1SGDan

1SGDan Captain

My apologies I am having a difficult time with my internet this morning. Duplicate post has been deleted

7. unionblue

"There are now in the slaveholding States over four millions of slaves; dissolve the relation of master and slave, and what, I ask, would become of that race? To remove them from amongst us is impossible....They therefore must remain with us; and if the relation of master and slave be dissolved and our slaves turned loose amongst us without restraint, they would either be destroyed by our own hands--the hands to which they look, and look with confidence, for protection--or we ourselves would become demoralized and edgraded. The former result would take place, and we oursleves would become the executioners of our own slaves." -- Edmund S. Dargan, legislator and judge, in a speech to the Secession Convention of Alabama on January 11, 1861.

leftyhunter likes this.
  8. unionblue

"The cause of the great War of the Rebellion against the United States will have to be attributed to slavery. For some years before the war began it was a trite saying among some politicians that "A state half slave and half free cannot exist." All must become slave or all free, or the state will go down. I took no part myself in any such view of the case at the time, but since the war is over, reviewing the whole question, I have come to the conclusion that the saying is quite true." -- Ulysses S. Grant, from his Personal Memiors of U.S. Grant, vol. 2, 1886.

9. unionblue

"The bloody conflict between brothers, is closed, and we "come to bury Caesar, not to praise him." The South had $2,000,000,000 invested in Slaves. It was very natural that they should desire to protect, and not lose this amount of property. Their action in this effort, resulted in War. There was no desire to dissolve the Union, but to protect this property. The issue was made and it is decided." -- Sterling Cockrill, Alabama planter, in a letter to President Andrew Johnson, September 18, 1865.

leftyhunter likes this.
  10. unionblue

"With the social balance wheel of slavery to regulate its machinery, we may fondly indulge the hope that our Southern government will be perpetual..."

"...Louisiana looks to the formation of a Southern confederacy to preserve the blessings of African slavery, and of the free institutions of the founders of the Federal Union, bequeathed to their posterity." -- George Williamson, Louisiana State Commissioner, in a speech to the Texas Secession Convention on March 9, 1861, quoted by E. W. Winkler in the Journal of the Secession Convention of Texas, 1861.

leftyhunter likes this.
  11. unionblue

"I have never been in favor of the abolition of slavery until since this war has detirmend me in the conviction that it is a greater sin than our Government is able to stand...It is opposed to the Spirit of the age--and in my opinion this Rebellion is but the death struggle of the overgrown monster." --Eli K. Pickett, US Sergeant, in a letter to his wife, March 27, 1863.

12. unionblue

"What did we go to war for, if not to protect our property?" -- Robert M. T. Hunter, Senator from Virginia.

Diana9 and leftyhunter like this.
  13. jgoodguy

jgoodguy Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

14. unionblue

15. unionblue

This exchange was published in the Report of the Joint Select Commitee, when Nathen Beford Forrest was called before it to testify after the war.

Q: "What do you think of negro suffrage?"

Forrest A: "I am opposed to it under any and all circumstances, and in our convention urged our party not to commit themselves at all upon the subject. If the negroes vote to enfranchise us, I do not think I would favor their disfranchisement. We will stand by those who help us. And here I want you to understand distinctly I am not an enemy to the negro. We want him here among us; he is the only laboring class we have; and, more than that, I would sooner trust him than the white scalawag or carpet-bagger. When I entered the army I took forty-seven negroes into the army with me, and forty-five of them were surrendered with me. Isaid to them at the start: 'This fight is against slavery; if we lose it, you will be made free; if we whip the fight, and you stay with me and be good boys, I will set you free; in either case you will be free.' These boys staid with me, drove my teams, and better confederates did not live."

16. shanniereb

shanniereb Sergeant Major

Once again these statements are from Officers, not the privates. Poor people have always been rich people's pawns.

17. KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze Captain

The aim of the Confederacy was to protect their institution of slavery. Sooner or later you're just going to have to deal with that.

18. KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze Captain

Go a little bit further up the rebel food chain. Why did the Confederate leadership launch their rebellion in the first place? To protect slavery. That was the reason why all those generals and colonels and lieutenant colonels and on down the line to the most junior private were sent to fight.

19. KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze Captain

Which, translated into clear English, means that the reason for their rebellion was slavery. Or their motivation for the rebellion. Or the prompting for their rebellion. Or any other synonym you care to use. At the end of the day, the South rebelled to protect slavery and that was the reason why all those Southern men were sent to die.

Diana9 likes this.
  20. dvrmte

dvrmte Major

Oh looky! I just looked in the bottom of a rabbit hole and guess what I found? I found a tariff and slavery wasn't attached to it. And in the next hole, I found the Chicago Platform, under it I found self-interest and greed.

21. CMWinkler

Hmmmmm. If the war aim on the Union in 1861 was to preserve the union, then, clearly, the war aim of the Confederacy was independence. When the war aim of the Union changed to emancipation in 1863, the Confederate war aim remained independence. Now, slavery was a large part of the drive to secede, but that does nothing to change war aims.

Constitution and Rosser like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)