Engraved 1st Model Burnside

03CJB

Cadet
IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

I recently purchased an engraved 1st model 54 caliber Burnside carbine. S/N is 169. Research so far tells me there were only 250 to 300 First Model Burnsides manufactured, and only two surviving engraved 1st editions are known to exist. Supposedly this rifle (s/n 169) and one more bearing S/N 214. Other than knowing it was obtained from the Estate of Lewis & Leyton Yearout, I can find no information on any factory engraved 1st models, or documentation of anyone reporting giving or receiving one as a gift. Is there any direction you recommend I can go from here for more information or history on this rifle? I appreciate any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice purchase. Have you tried going the other way, finding out more about the Yearouts and how they acquired it?

404 Error. Got the cached version of what you need us to see?

Meanwhile, back at the Obituary -

He did ranch work in Simms and managed the gun department at OK Hardware in Great Falls before opening up his own gun store with a shooting range on Bootlegger Trail in 1980. Leyton’s knack in sales began as a little boy at the gun and antique shows where he tagged along with his father and sold pocket knives and other small items at their tables. Not being discouraged with those who said a store in the middle of nowhere could never make it, he later expanded the thriving business to include a separate saddle shop which specialized in antique cowboy gear such as horsehair bridles, silver bits, spurs, and chaps. In 2010, he moved his store to town to a larger facility with an existing antique mall. With a canny ability for turning a vision into reality, he created a remarkable antique firearm and cowboy collectible business under one roof.

http://schniderfuneralhome.com/index.php?p=obituaries&id=305

200 were ordered for trials in May 1856, but the order was not completed until January, 1858.

http://www.civilwarguns.com/9606.html
This should be fun.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum and another gun enthusiast!

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Very Nice piece

Thanks all for the welcome. I see alot of Auburn fans in here..ha! I grew up in Hoover, Alabama and left in 1998 when I joined the Marines. Anyways back to the topic..I purchased this book The Burnside Breech Loading Carbines by Edward Hull..(extreme information dump) and worth the read for any of you that have Burnsides in your collection. Regarding the link..ill work on getting it right. Lewis Layout collected guns since the 20's til his death which was soon followed by his son, Leyton's own death. The entire collection was auctioned by James D Julia auctions. So Ive got another avenue to search.

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 108
Thanks all for the welcome. I see alot of Auburn fans in here..ha! I grew up in Hoover, Alabama and left in 1998 when I joined the Marines. Anyways back to the topic..I purchased this book The Burnside Breech Loading Carbines by Edward Hull..(extreme information dump) and worth the read for any of you that have Burnsides in your collection. Regarding the link..ill work on getting it right. Lewis Layout collected guns since the 20's til his death which was soon followed by his son, Leyton's own death. The entire collection was auctioned by James D Julia auctions. So Ive got another avenue to search.
Semper Fi from downtown Hoover, I was last in 29 Stumps in 1973; I imagine that it has changed a great deal since them. Good luck with your search.

200 were ordered for trials in May 1856, but the order was not completed until January, 1858.
http://www.civilwarguns.com/9606.html
This should be fun.

Period newspapers note a shoot-off between the Burnside, the Merrill, the Sharps and another carbine in June 1857, with the Burnside having the 'least objectionable' qualities per the Army folk. Someone got the gummint to kick out $25,000 for purchases, as noted in more articles late in 1858.

So, gonna float a theory.

1. Most Likely / Manufactured as seen and engraved at manufacture, @1857, as a gift for someone influential in the purchasing process. An implied path of research would be to figure out 'who' the key players were and thus, who would most likely be gifted an engraved Burnside.

2. Less Likely / 'Sporterized' First Model. To put that much effort into that process, it would have had to be emotionally significant to them (something they carried and brought home, or something captured and brought home).

3. Least Likely / Purchased and sporterized by some regular dude after the war.

Thanks for the insight. I have received a very good supply of information and areas to venture toward in my quest for information on this gun. It was apparently valued in his collection..dont wanna repeat what the cost was. The engravings are era correct with the correct amount of wear (along with the rest of the rifle. I do believe the firearm was engraved for a gift as stated above, I just hoped to find out to whom it (they due to there being another) was given. Ill update any info I receive just for sh!?s and giggles.

Back