1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Burnside carbine serial

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by ewmail15, Jun 10, 2018.

1. ewmail15

ewmail15 Corporal

I just saw a Burnside 5th model carbine on a regional auction site. Listed as a 4th but has the right side guide screw. Minimal info was provided other than coming out of an estate sale.

Serial is 3240 on the frame and block. Saddle bar is missing and I'm not knowledgeable enough on Burnsides to tell if the left side screws are correct. I was thinking the frame back was for a rifle, and carbine parts were swapped in place. Please look at the pics and let me know what you think.

I read this on someone's resto blog:

Serial number of 10,167 makes this an extremely early 5th model and one of about 43,000 5th Model carbines manufactured. Total production through the 4th Model was about 10,800...1st Model 300 carbines, 2nd Model about 2,000, 3rd Model about 1,500 and 4th Model about 7,000

Attached Files:

vmicraig likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ewmail15

ewmail15 Corporal

Anyone with the knowledge on Burnsides please advise on authenticity of the carbine and its parts. Thanks.

4. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

I'm not at home right now to check the serial # and info I have on my home computer but if you will go to the search feature at the top of the page and type in burnside you will find an answer to your questions. I believe they have been covered in prior post. I will lookup your serial # when I get home.

5. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Captain Trivia Game Winner

Re: Burnside serial numbers, it appears that it was not one continuous series. You will find much later models with lower serial numbers then earlier models

6. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)