Archibald Boggs 1860 – 1881​
John Symington Boggs 1862 – 1927​
(Buried: Davidson River Cemetery, Pisgah Forest, North Carolina)​
Edith Alston Boggs 1868 – 1901​
(Buried: Salem Cemetery, Winston Salem, North Carolina)​
Henry Patterson Boggs 1867 – 1929​
(Buried: Salem Cemetery, Winston Salem, North Carolina)​

Education:

1853: Graduated from West Point Military Academy – (4th in Class)
After war.jpg

Occupation before War:

1853 – 1854: Brevet, 2nd Lt. United States Army, Topographical Engineers​
1854 – 1856: 2nd Lt. United States Army, Ordnance Department​
1856 – 1861: 1st Lt. United States Army, Ordnance Department​
1861: Resigned from United States Army on February 1st

Civil War Career:

Purchasing Agent for the State of Georgia to procure arms & supplies​
Commander of Engineers and Artillery in Pensacola, Florida​
1863 – 1865: Assisted in Military Administration in the West​
1862 – 1863: Colonel and Chief Engineer for the State of Georgia
Boggs after war.jpg

1863 – 1865: Brigadier General in Confederate Army​
1863: Chief of Staff for the Trans – Mississippi Department​
Military Commander of the District of Louisiana​
Enlisted in an expedition to enter military service in Mexico​
1865: Paroled in Houston, Texas (June 9)​

Occupation after War:

1866 – 1868: Architect in Savannah, Georgia​
1868 – 1870: Chief Engineer Lexington and St. Louis Railroad Co.​
1870 – 1875: Civil and Mining Engineer in St. Louis, Missouri​
Mechanics Professor for Virginia Polytechnic Institute​
Lived the later years of life in Winston Salem, North Carolina​

Died: September 11, 1911

Place of Death: Winston Salem, North Carolina

Cause of Death: Old Age

Age at time of Death: 82 years old

Burial Place: Salem Cemetery, Winston Salem, North Carolina

IMG_0004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It would appear that he briefly commanded Mouton's old brigade

In 1862, Boggs was appointed Col, Chief Engineer of the State of Ga. In recognition of his efforts in constructing the fortifications that defended Savannah, one of the earthworks was named Fort Boggs. During the Kentucky campaign, Col Boggs, by then back in the CS national service, won the confidence of his superiors. On Gen Kirby Smith's recommendation, he was promoted to the rank of Brig Gen & became chief of staff under him in the T/M Dept in the spring of 1863.

4/24/65 Gen Orders-Brig Gen W. R. Boggs is, at his own request, relieved from duty as chief of staff, & will report to Gen Buckner, cdg Dist of Ark & West La, for assignment to duty. In transferring Gen Boggs to the important duties of his new position, the general cdg desires to return his acknowledgments to that officer for the zeal & ability he has displayed & the benefit which he has conferred upon the public service in the discharge of the arduous duties which have heretofore devolved upon him.
Boggs writes-I desired to be ordered to Richmond. Instead, I was ordered to take command of the district of La.

5/10 Shreveport, Hqs D of Ark & W La, Buckner to Maj Gen Hayes cdg sub district W La-
Boggs writes-I went to Natchitoches & assumed command of the district; but my command was short lived, for, upon the surrender of Gen Lee, Gen Harry Hayes, who had been sent to our dept to gather up the absentees from his command in Gen Lee's army, went to Shreveport & asked to be assigned to duty. Being a La officer, he was assigned to the command of the district, & I returned to Shreveport.

5/13 Col Richardson [17th La] cdg Hayes Div of Boggs' & Thomas' Bgdes, had been assigned to the command of a Div of these 2 Bgdes on 5/13, & was temporarily cdg Boggs' Bgde on this march.

The 2nd​ La Hvy Bn was a part of Boggs' Infy Bgde commanded by Col Richardson at the end of the war, & they disbanded near Mansfield in May. At the end of the war, the Bn apparently had no cannons & was attached to Gen Boggs' Infy Bgde.

5/19 The 17th​ La disbanded & the men returned to their homes. The cdr of the 17th La Regt was Col Robert Richardson, but he was cdg all of Boggs' Bgde on the march towards Mansfield

5/22 Col Richardson [17th La], Col cdg, wrote to Capt Sam Flowers AAG-that on the four-day march towards Mansfield, upon news of the inevitable surrender, many men in his army deserted, mobs formed to take the rations & supplies of the army, etc.
Richardson wrote "...I succeeded in saving most of the ammunition of Boggs' Bgde, that being guarded by Co C 17th La Infy Commanded by Capt Jordan G. Taylor, this being the only Co in the whole Div that performed their duty to the last. I placed this ordnance in their charge. Though several attempts were made to take it, they [Co C] preserved it & it is now safe.
Too much praise cannot be ascribed to the gallant officer (Capt J. G. Taylor) & his meritorious Co who, when all around them was riot & confusion, did not cease to obey my orders & to perform their duty as men & as soldiers. The amount of ammunition saved by them was 22,000 rounds." By necessity I issued an order temporarily disbanding those remaining

5/22 Col Richardson [17th La] cdg Hayes Div of Boggs' & Thomas' Bgdes, to Capt Samuel Flower-quoted in "The cdr's report on how Hays' Div ended its career"

Among other things, Boggs was to urge the change he desired to make at the head of his staff. I handed the book to Gen Smith, remarking that after reading the letter I could not think of remaining in his way, & requested him to order me to Richmond. He asked me to remain on duty until he could send for Slaughter to take my place. I declined to be considered a member of his staff on any conditions. A few days after, Gen Smith, finding that he needed rest, sent for Gen Buckner to take temporary command of the Dept-On taking command Gen Buckner sent for me & gave me some orders as chief of staff, & I had in Gen Smith's presence to explain my position & desire to be ordered to Richmond. Instead, I was ordered to take command of the district of La.

I have never been able to understand Gen Smith's actions in this matter. I was appointed the chief of staff at his own request & at a time most favorable for him to have Dr. Smith appointed…Again if Gen Smith was so anxious for the Dr's advice & counsel, why did he take me into the field with him, leaving the Dr. at home? Why was it that he always delegated to me every delicate or dangerous duty? Finally, Gen Smith knew that there was no power that could compel Dr Smith to attend to office work or routine duty.

I went to Natchitoches & assumed command of the district; but my command was short lived, for, upon the surrender of Gen Lee, Gen Harry Hayes, who had been sent to our Dept to gather up the absentees from his command in Gen Lee's army, went to Shreveport & asked to be assigned to duty. Being a La officer, he was assigned to the command of the district, & I returned to Shreveport.

Paroled 6/9/65

Last edited:
He had to resign his captain's commission in the CS army in order to take the position as Georgia's Chief Engineer on Dec.21,1861.He then resigned this position to take the promotion as a Confederate brigadier on Nov.4, 1862.

His father-in-law, Colonel John Symington was the Commanding Officer of the Allegheny Arsenal in Pittsburgh PA when it exploded on September 17, 1862 (same day as the Battle of Antietam). 78 people were killed, 71 of whom were young women and girls. Symington went on sick leave shortly afterwards and never returned to active duty.

Back