Black Musician Sumter Light Guards

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
In this black and white drawing Richard Warren includes a black musician. I am looking at the uniforms of this unit. FYI Richard Warren is a respected Civil War uniform expert.
sumter 2.jpg

In the text it is stated that the image of the musician is based on a photograph. If anyone has a copy of the photograph of the Sumter Light Guards black musician or knows where I can see it on line can you direct me to the image?

The image was printed in this booklet from the Confederate Historical Society Press published in 1990..

sunter 3.jpg

Also I would love to see the original booklet and plate by Michael Rich and Patrick Reardon from 1967.

Here's the image in question, this copy from Heritage Auctions. Taken in Augusta, GA, April 1861.

View attachment 182119
http://historical.ha.com/itm/milita...477.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

View attachment 182121

Thanks you for posting this. I was trying to verify if the musicians were wearing the same uniform as the enlisted soldiers or a separate style of uniform specific to the band. This looks to be the same uniform. However it is not certain the trousers have seam stripes.

This is all part of my effort to gain some understanding on how musician uniforms were different than the stsndard uniform and the various trends in the musician uniforms. Here it appears they wore standard uniforms but a different style cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: AUG
I generally like Richard Warren's works on Civil War uniforms but at times he likes to include some one of a kind item he sees in a photo. Some readers might assume the item is question was more common that it was.

Still in the end I like Warren's work and he did seem to include many Confederate uniform plates in his coverage of the Civil War.

Back