Grant A Pragmatic Interview & Article About U. S. Grant

Peter Carmichael, the Director of CWI

He was good, General Bee. Thoughtful and not at all inclined to pass around Kook Aid. We need more folks like that.

Reactions: Bee
Grant won. He won the first decisive battle of the war. He won the great strategic campaign of the war.
He took command of a besieged army, and whipped the besiegers.
And he won the conclusive campaign in six months of fighting and four months of waiting.
His chosen subordinates, Sheridan and Sherman had fantastically successful campaigns.
He lived and despite the constitutional crisis caused by Andrew Johnson, he kept the military out of it.
His view of blacks, which grew through experience, from not wanting any more slaves he knew to be sold on the block, to blacks being citizens with voting rights that could be defended, eventually prevailed.
His view that genocide against the Native Americans had to stop, also prevailed.
Before Grant, one election led to Civil War. After Grant, the election led to a general abandonment of black civil rights.
Grant won the Civil War and governed through the most difficult and corrupt periods in the history of the US.
He was ridiculously popular in his time. Until history starts figuring why that was the case, it is just churning the historic diatribe of the late 19th century Democrats.
The historical analysis of Grant is hogwash.
Read the appraisals of Dwight Eisenhauer and John Mosby.
One party was turning a blind eye to lynchings and it called the other party's president corrupt.
Pot meet kettle.

I'm not calling Grant a drunk or anything else.

I did spend an hour and a half with Mr. Simpson in a classroom earlier this year and then listened to him address the general session of a conference. I was frankly not impressed with him. That is my opinion.

He seemed to me very irritated with the notion of General Lee, placed upon a marble pedestal. Fine.

Yet, it sounded to me as though Mr. Simpson felt General Lee should be removed from the pedestal and replaced with General Grant.

U.S. Grant, on a marble pedestal. This is not ever happening, nor should it, in my opinion. Maybe Mr. Simpson will have his way, but I really doubt it. He's preaching partisan history and again, that is my opinion. YMMV.

Saying that U.S grant should not and never will be on a marble pedestal is in itself partisan.

Back