Tell me more! What is the difference between a caisson and a limber?

I've been reading descriptions and looking at pictures trying to understand. I'm probably just being very dense but they seem like they are the same thing. Here's what Wikipedia says:
A limber is a two-wheeled cart designed to support the trail of an artillery piece, or the stock of a field carriage such as a caisson or traveling forge, allowing it to be towed. The trail is the hinder end of the stock of a gun-carriage, which rests or slides on the ground when the carriage is unlimbered.[1]

A caisson (US: /ˈkeɪsɒn/) is a two-wheeled cart designed to carry artillery ammunition;[2] the British term is "ammunition waggon". Caissons are also used to bear the casket of the deceased in some state and military funerals in certain Western cultures, including the United States.

I actually asked the same question in my post #11 about Ammunition Chests at Gettysburg. Here is the response from @Cavalier

The limber has one chest and is attached to a gun or caisson. The horses are attached to the limber. The caisson has two chests and a spare wheel wheel. It requires a limber, with horses attached, just like a gun does, to be moved.

A limber, besides being used to transport the gun; also carried one detachable ammunition chest (limber chest) while a caisson carried two. Also, keep in mind that neither piece was designed to carry personnel; the horses were controlled by riders riding the left hand teams and other personnel usually walked unless they were needed quickly at which time they would ride on the limber and caisson. This was to prevent undue strain on the horses.

Last edited:
cwcaisson.jpg

Thank you, @Cavalier, @DixieRifles @redbob, and @jackt62. It seems that they are very similar things. Here is what I gather.

• Limbers carry one ammo chest, caissons carry two.
  • Caissons carry a spare wheel, limbers do not.
  • Limbers are pulled by horses and can be attached to a gun and/or a caisson.
  • Caissons must be attached to limbers to be moved and never directly to the horses.
  • Caissons are not attached directly to the gun.
Are these statements correct?

1,2,3 & 5 correct. 4 no-limbers can be pulled by teams or attached directly to a caisson. In the illustration above, the limber pole is stowed below the limber and caisson; it would be attached to the caisson for it to be towed by a team of horses or it can also be used to replace a damaged limber pole on the limber if needed.

Cody: should you have a general interest in field artillery I would be happy to send you my Pulitzer-winning (not) write-up which, I believe, provides a good overview of that branch, it's organization, and it's equipment. If you'd like a PDF file send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you one.

This forum has some of the most knowledgeable folks we've got. You'll always get a good, reliable answer here.

Cody: should you have a general interest in field artillery I would be happy to send you my Pulitzer-winning (not) write-up which, I believe, provides a good overview of that branch, it's organization, and it's equipment. If you'd like a PDF file send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you one.

This forum has some of the most knowledgeable folks we've got. You'll always get a good, reliable answer here.
Take John Winn up on his offer, you won't regret it.:smile:

Absolutely! This is why I love this site.

It is a great read and resource.

Back