What is this? Unknown rifle

I have interest in foreign arms imported for use in the War, and I would not plan on buying on-line any lock and expecting it to fit. the lock has to fit the visible size and shape of the cavity for the lock, and the wood inside might not be shaped to allow the lock to fit down inside properly, and then sometimes the holes for the lock screws that hold it on (and are inserted from the other side of the stock) don't match up with the holes in stock for those lockplate screws.
Also, the wood around that cavity might have shrunk or warped over the years, creating more problems.
What happens all too often with an effort to replace is a badly fitting lock, some wood putty used to fill in the edges, and an unsightly result.
If this has some special meaning, and you want to try, you should try to take this to a seller where you can physically compare the available locks to your particular gun. There are some caches of these here and there. At one time, I had a box of at least a dozen of them.
Jeff in Ohio

Jeff is right of course, there are many terrible repairs out there, but a really good wood worker (or a patient and dedicated owner) can do amazing things in restoring a gun. I had a Remington double barrel with a stock that needed to be replaced because one side was all busted out around the lock. Off to my friend Kelly Cook of J&K Knife & Gun. Replace the stock and cut the barrels to 18" so I can use it as my house gun. It came back with the stock repaired (not replaced) and the barrels full length. "I couldn't destroy that nice a gun," he said. My son still hunts with it after 20 years and has to fight my grandson for it. When you point out the stock repair you can see it. If you don't point out the repair no one notices it. Sksylad, you have a very interesting and historic musket. How far you want to take it is up to you. Fully restore it or leave it the way it is will not change that it is interesting and historic. What do you want?

Welcome from Arizona. Thanks for pics and info. I'm just in the learn process with the CW era. Much like you, I'm into WW2 and the old west but love to expand my knowledge. You did find a great site to learn from.
Great piece for a collection for sure. Wish you good luck on finding parts and info. Anything old history is awesome. Sad to say that there seems to be less interest in all era's of older history.

You'll find good info in the book CIVIL WAR GUNS by Edwards and FRENCH MILITARY ARMS by Hicks. Inter-library loan them if you want to save money but Edwards books is well worth the purchase. (Amazon or Barnes & Noble would be my choice)

You'll find good info in the book CIVIL WAR GUNS by Edwards and FRENCH MILITARY ARMS by Hicks. Inter-library loan them if you want to save money but Edwards books is well worth the purchase. (Amazon or Barnes & Noble would be my choice)
It's a little OT but Hicks is a fairly terrible source for anything specific. Unfortunately for this audience, the best source is naturally in French!

I just noticed that you have a Blair in your family. Mine came from Scotland and immigrated to Nova Scotia and then to Louisiana and then Texas. Don't know if they are connected to Blair's Landing. I'll admit Jandot's artwork in the French book was pretty lame on some items.

Back