Period Turnips Newburg

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
We have Crab Newburg and Lobster Newburg but how about Turnip Newburg. Found this recipe in another old cookbook I have. This cookbook was another library sale find.

Turnips Newburg

Add 3 hard cooked egg yolks, thoroughly mashed to 2 cups Thin White Sauce and cook and stir until smooth. Stir in 1 teaspoon anchovy paste; and add dash each of paprika, cayenne and mace. Add 3 cups cooked diced turnips, heat thoroughly and serve on buttered toast rounds.

Recipe for Thin White Sauce:

1 tablespoon butte1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Melt butter and stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk and stir until mixture boils and thickens. The cook about 3 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Add the seasonings.

From: "America's Cook Book, compiled by The Home Institute of the New York Herald Tribune.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
We have Crab Newburg and Lobster Newburg but how about Turnip Newburg. Found this recipe in another old cookbook I have. This cookbook was another library sale find.

Turnips Newburg

Add 3 hard cooked egg yolks, thoroughly mashed to 2 cups Thin White Sauce and cook and stir until smooth. Stir in 1 teaspoon anchovy paste; and add dash each of paprika, cayenne and mace. Add 3 cups cooked diced turnips, heat thoroughly and serve on buttered toast rounds.

Recipe for Thin White Sauce:

1 tablespoon butte1 tablespoon flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Melt butter and stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk and stir until mixture boils and thickens. The cook about 3 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Add the seasonings.

From: "America's Cook Book, compiled by The Home Institute of the New York Herald Tribune.
Veggie newburg,I would say that is something different t.