Toughest Brigade

You have to establish a position and hold the ground at all costs... what brigade do you call on?

Iron Brigade
Stonewall Brigade
Pennsylvania Reserves
Texas Brigade
Irish Brigade (US)

Etc...

What was the best brigade?
I think you overlooked a few units or are you just limiting your question to the Army of Northern Virginia and the Army of the Potomac?

You have to establish a position and hold the ground at all costs... what brigade do you call on?

Iron Brigade
Stonewall Brigade
Pennsylvania Reserves
Texas Brigade
Irish Brigade (US)

Etc...

What was the best brigade?
I'm assuming you put the "etc." is in there so you wouldn't be criticized for being "Eastern-centric?''

I've got to go with my home boys, The First Missouri Brigade. "Show Me" any brigade, north or south, that was better, (that's just the way I feel).

I think the reality is that there were a great many brigades that were excellent. The thing that fascinates/horrifies me is how quickly they were used up. The Iron Brigade held firm in their first combat at Brawners Farm during 2nd Manassas even though they hadn't earned their nickname yet, but by the end of Gettysburg they practically didn't exist any more. The answer to your question is that any of those brigades could hold your ground, but only if you got them at the right time in their history.

Unpopular opinion time.

“Famous Brigades” are famous because of a unique feature that puts them under the microscope, not because they were any better or worse than their peers. The unique feature that makes a unit compelling (all Irish, Stonewall Jackson's first command, all Western, etc.) then keys in on a famous incident at a battle (Irish Brigade at Antietam, Iron Brigade at 2nd Bull Run, etc.) that then gets extrapolated to cover a unit's overall service record, when that's usually not the case.

I thought the question was basically, if I had to hold a position what brigade would I pick to do so....for that question - I certainly would stay with Wilder's brigade. (I would imagine a man with one of those repeaters, in any event, would be pretty tough at that point in time)

When thinking of "Toughest", to paraphrase someone above- we often define these units by one episode or battle plus an element of leadership must be thrown in ....That being said- if the question is "toughest" The Texas brigade of the Army of Northern Virginia would be the unit I would want if I had to take a position (or the First Missouri Brigade)

Ken

Back