- Joined
- Apr 1, 2009
Statements about food made before April 7....
http://www.familytales.org/results.php?city=fort sumter
And now what his supplies were on the 13th
http://www.familytales.org/results.php?city=steamship baltic
So we have two letters from Anderson before the 7th speaking about the lack of food and finally, only one week after this he speaks of only having pork to eat on the 13th..Due to his statements about food shortage before and after the date that the Confederates officially closed his supply line to Charleston merchants it just doesn't seem to be that he was being fully provisioned up to the 7th as you claim...In fact, his condition on the 13th is pretty much what he predicted it would be.
http://www.familytales.org/results.php?city=fort sumter
Fort Sumter, S. C, April4, 1861..
(Received A. G O., April 6.)
Col. L. Thomas, Adjutant-General U. S. Army:
Colonel: I have the honor to send herewith a report of the circumstances attending a firing yesterday afternoon by the batteries on Morris Island at a schooner bearing our flag, bound from Boston to Savannah, which, erroneously mistaking the lighthouse off this harbor for that of Tybee, and having failed to get a pilot, was entering the harbor.
The remarks made to me by Colonel Lamon, taken in connection with the tenor of newspaper articles, have induced me, as stated in previous communications, to believe that orders would soon be issued for my abandoning this work. When the firing commenced some of my heaviest guns were concealed from their view by planking, and by the time the battery was ready the firing had ceased. I then, acting in strict accordance with the spirit and wording of the orders of the War Department, as communicated to me in the letter from the Secretary of War dated February 23, 1861, determined not to commence firing until I had sent to the vessel and investigated the circumstances.
The accompanying report presents them. Invested by a force so superior that a collision would, in all probability, terminate in the destruction of our force before relief could reach us with only a few days' provisions on hand, and with a scanty supply of ammunition, as will be seen by a reference to my letter of February 27, in hourly expectation of receiving definite instructions from the War Department, and with orders so explicit and peremptory as those I am acting under, I deeply regret that I did not feel myself at liberty to resent the insult thus offered to the flag of my beloved country.
I think that proper notification should be given to our merchant vessels of the rigid instructions under which the commanders of these batteries are acting; that they should be notified that they must, as soon as a shot is fired ahead of them, at once round to and communicate with the batteries.
The authorities here are certainly blamable for not having constantly vessels off to communicate instructions to those seeking entrance into this harbor.
Captain Talbot is relieved, of course, by order No. 7, from duty at this post. I avail myself of this opportunity of stating that he has been zealous, intelligent, and active in the discharge of all his duties here, so far as his health permitted him to attempt their performance. I send him on with these despatches, to give the Department an opportunity, if deemed proper, to modify, in consequence of this unfortunate affair, any order they may have sent to me. I will delay obedience thereto until I have time to receive a telegram after Captain Talbot's having reported to the War Department.
I am Colonel, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Robert Anderson,
Major, First Artillery, Commanding.
Fort Sumter, S. C. April5, 1861..
(Received A. G. O., April 8.)
Colonel L. Thomas, Adjutant-General U. S. Army :
Colonel : I have the honor to report everything still and quiet, and to send herewith the report of Lieutenant Snyder, whom I sent yesterday with a short note and a verbal message to the Governor of South Carolina. No reply has been received to my note.
I cannot but think that Mr. Crawford has misunderstood what he has heard in Washington, as I cannot think that the Government would abandon, without instructions and without advice, a command which has tried to do all its duty to our country.
I cannot but think that if the Government decides to do nothing which can be construed into a recognition of the fact of the dissolution of the Union, that it will, at all events, say to me that I must do the best I can, and not compel me to do an act which will leave my motives and actions liable to misconception.
I am sure that I shall not be left without instructions, even though they may be confidential. After thirty odd years of service I do not wish it to be said that I have treasonably abandoned a post and turned over to unauthorized persons public property intrusted to my charge. lam entitled to this act of justice at the hands of my Government, and I feel confident that I shall not be disappointed. What to do with the public property, and where to take my command, are questions to which answers will, I hope, be at once returned. Unless we receive supplies, I shall be compelled to stay here without food or to abandon this post very early next week.
Confidently hoping that I shall receive ample instructions in time,
I am, Colonel, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Robert Anderson,
And now what his supplies were on the 13th
http://www.familytales.org/results.php?city=steamship baltic
Steamship Baltic, off Sandy Hook,
Thursday, April 18, 1861.
Hon. S. Cameron, Secretary of War, Washington, D. C:
Sir: - Having defended Fort Sumter for thirty-four hours, until the quarters were entirely burned, the main gates destroyed by fire, the gorge wall seriously injured, the magazine surrounded by flames, and its door closed from the effect of the heat, four barrels and three cartridges of powder only being available, and no provisions but pork remaining, I accepted terms of evacuation, offered by General Beauregard, being the same offered by him on the 11th instant, prior to the commencement of hostilities, and marched out of the fort, Sunday afternoon, the 14th instant, with colors flying and drums beating, bringing away company and private property, and saluting my flag with fifty guns.
Robert Anderson,
Major First Artillery.
So we have two letters from Anderson before the 7th speaking about the lack of food and finally, only one week after this he speaks of only having pork to eat on the 13th..Due to his statements about food shortage before and after the date that the Confederates officially closed his supply line to Charleston merchants it just doesn't seem to be that he was being fully provisioned up to the 7th as you claim...In fact, his condition on the 13th is pretty much what he predicted it would be.