Staff members

General Order, No. 2 - General's Staff 001.jpg

This is an original document, General Order, No. 2 - Brig. General Stannard for his 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 18th Army Corps. This only lists the officers, not the Non-commissioned officers and Privates, Clerks, etc. [Document owned by M. E. Weyraugh - use for study/education only]

M. E. Wolf

It was, as I understand it, pretty much decided by the General officer himself. One could compare the many photographs of 'Genera X and his staff' to determine a "typical" number of commissioned staff.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME X/1 [S# 10]
April 6-7, 1862.--Battle of Pittsburg Landing, or Shiloh, Tenn.
No. 3. -- Reports of Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant, U. S. Army, commanding Army of the Tennessee, with abstracts from the field returns of the several divisions, April 4-5 and April 10-15, 1862.

GENERAL ORDERS No. 34.
HDQRS. DISTRICT OF WEST TENNESSEE,
Pittsburg, April 8, 1862.
The general commanding congratulates the troops who so gallantly maintained, repulsed, and routed a numerically superior force of the enemy, composed of the flower of the Southern Army, commanded by their ablest generals, and fought by them with all the desperation of despair.

In numbers engaged, no such contest ever took place on this continent; in importance of results, but few such have taken place in the history of the world.

Whilst congratulating the brave and gallant soldiers, it becomes the duty of the general commanding to make special notice of the bravo wounded and those killed upon the field. Whilst they leave friends and relatives to mourn their loss, they have won a nation's gratitude and undying laurels, not to be forgotten by future generations, who will enjoy the blessings of the best government the sun ever shone upon, preserved by their valor.
By order of Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant:
JNo. A. RAWLINS,
Assistant Adjutant-General.
[ Addenda. ]
Absracts from the field returns of the several divisions of the Army of the Tennessee, Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant commanding.
APRIL 4-5, 1862.

O Officers. A Aggregate.
M Men. P Pieces of artillery.

----------Present for duty.-------
Command. O M A P Notes by thecompiler.
First Division: From "statement of effective force" April 5. Pieces of artillery not reported on original.
1st Brigade 125 2,531 2,656 ....
2d Brigade 77 1,769 1,846 ....
3d Brigade 110 2,118 2,228 ....
Unattached 9 289 298 ....
Total First Division. 321 6,707 7,028 ....

Second Division: Return dated April 5.
1st Brigade 108 1,996 2,104 6
2d Brigade 123 2,603 2,726 6
3d Brigade 180 3,517 3,697 ....
Unattached 8 173 181 12
Total Second Division. 419 8,289 8,708 24

Third Division: Return dated April 4; the division not in the battle of April 6.
1st Brigade 65 1,933 1,998 ....
2d Brigade 103 2,133 2,236 ....
3d Brigade 111 2,430 2,541 ....
Unattached 35 754 789 12
Total Third Division. 314 7,250 7,564 12

Fourth Division: Return dated April 5.
1st Brigade 99 2,416 2,515 6
2d Brigade 113 2,698 2,811 4
3d Brigade 87 1,739 1,826 ....
Unattached 7 143 150 ....
Total Fourth Division 306 6,996 7,302 10

Fifth Division: Return dated April 5.
1st Brigade 79 2,050 2,129 6
2d Brigade 90 1,936 2,026 4
3d Brigade 110 2,331 2,441 ....
4th Brigade 103 2,131 2,234 6
Total Fifth Division 382 8,448 8,830 16

Sixth Division: Return dated April 5; strength of two regiments and one battery not reported on the original.
1st Brigade 119 2,671 2,790 ....
2d Brigade 85 1,689 1,774 ....
Unattached 41 858 899 ....
Total Sixth Division. 245 5,218 5,463 ....
Grand total 1,987 42,908 44,895 62 Division staff not included in this abstract.

The "Staff" is a general identification. There was a "Staff" that stayed with their Regiments, etc., and the personal staff belonging with the General, e.g. Aide-de-Camps yet, more officers were regular to transfer with.

Each level of command had "Staff"--from Company through Corps and Military Districts. This is set forth in the 1861 Revised Regulations of the United States Army; as well as a similar "Manual' by the CSA.

M. E. Wolf

Reactions: WJC
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 1 [S# 1] CHAPTER IV.
CORRESPONDENCE AND ORDERS RELATING SPECIALLY TO THE OPERATIONS
IN FLORIDA FROM JANUARY 6 TO AUGUST 31, 1861.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.
HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF FLORIDA,
Fort Pickens, July 23, 1861.
Brig. Gen. L. THOMAS
Adjutant-General U. S. Army, Washington, D.C.:

[extensive excerpt]
All of the following companies, which I think may advantageously be transferred, are now and will be without captains: A, First Artillery, Vogdes'; F, First Artillery, Chalfin's, and H, Second Artillery, late Brooks, now at Fort Pickens; C, Second Artillery, Arnold's, Fort Jefferson; F or H, Third Artillery, Reynolds' or Burton's, and E, Fourth Artillery, Getty's, Fort Monroe.

Captain Chalfin is now here with his company, and one of the subalterns of Vogdes' company, transferred to the Fifth, is also here.

I suggest that Captain Getty keep his old company, and that Captain De Hart be assigned to the Third Artillery, Company F or H, now at Old Point; that Chalfin keep his own (F, First); that Seymour he assigned to the command of A, First (Vogdes'); Griffin to H, Second (late Brooks'), and Smead to C, Second (Arnold's), the subalterns to be assigned at Washington and ordered immediately here, as also the captains, and that the regimental staff and two of the majors with Getty's and De Hart's companies, fully officered, be sent as early as possible, and the other companies as fast as they are recruited and organized. These suggestions are made under the supposition of the regiment's coming here, and also that it is not, as it is also rumored, a light artillery regiment.

[extensive excerpt]

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
HARVEY BROWN,
Colonel, Fifth Artillery.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XII/2-Sup [S# 17]
THE FITZ JOHN PORTER COURT-MARTIAL.--#10
[extensive excerpt]

MORELL'S DIVISION,
Camp near Miner's Hill, September 5, 1862.
Number of companies 24

Present for duty:
General officer 1
General staff officers 3
Field officers 3
Regimental and battalion staff officers 7
Company officers 51
Total commissioned 65

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 8 [S# 8]
CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS. AND RETURNS RELATING TO OPERATIONS IN MISSOURI, ARKANSAS. KANSAS, AND THE INDIAN TERRITORY FROM NOVEMBER 19, 1861, TO APRIL 10, 1862.
CONFEDERATE CORRESPONDENCE, ETC. --3

GENERAL ORDERS No. 26.
HDQRS. MISSOURI STATE GUARD,
Springfield, Mo., January 23, 1862.
I. The volunteer force will be distributed until further orders into two brigades and an extra battalion.
II. The following troops will constitute the First Brigade:
1. The First Regiment Cavalry, Colonel Gates.
2. The First Regiment Infantry, Colonel Burbridge.
3. The Second Regiment infantry, Colonel Rives.
4. Captain Wade's battery.
5. Captain Clark's battery.
Col. Henry Little will assume command of this brigade, and appoint, with the major-general's approval, a brigade staff, consisting of:

1. An adjutant, with the rank of captain.
2. An inspector, with the rank of captain.
3. An ordnance officer, with the rank of captain.
4. A quartermaster, with the rank of major.
5. A commissary, with the rank of major.
6. An aide-de-camp, with the rank of first-lieutenant.
7. A surgeon.

III. The following troops will until further orders constitute the Second Brigade:
1. Colonel Bevier's battalion of infantry.
2. Colonel Rosser's battalion of infantry.
3. Colonel McCulloch's battalion of cavalry.
4. Captain Lucas' squad of artillery.
5. Captain Landis' squad of artillery, together with all other battalions, squads, and individuals that do not enlist in either the First Brigade or the extra battalion.

[extensive excerpt]
By order of Maj. Gen. S. Price:

WM. H. BRAND,
-----

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME VI, Chapter XV [S# 6]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations On The Coasts Of South Carolina, Georgia, And Middle And East Florida From August 21, 1861, To April 11, 1862.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#1

Abstract from return of the Expeditionary Corps, commanded by Brig. Gen. Thomas W. Sherman, for October 28, 1861.

D For duty
T Total
A Aggregate present and absent.

------------Present.------------
-Officers.- -----Men.------
D T D T A

Division staff 26 26 25 25 51
First Brigade 185 192 3,682 3,796 3,988
Second Brigade 137 141 3,015 3,196 3,337
Third Brigade 147 153 3,574 3,747 3,900
Troops not brigaded 61 62 1,242 1,315 1,377
Total 556 574 11,538 12,079 12,653

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME VI, Chapter XVI [S# 6]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Events In West Florida, Southern Alabama, Southern Mississippi, And Louisiana From September 1, 1861, To May 12, 1862.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#2

GENERAL ORDERS No. 24.
HDQRS. DEPARTMENT OF THE GULF,
New Orleans, May 10, 1862.
Acting Brig. Gen. George F. Shepley, Colonel Twelfth Maine Volunteers, is hereby appointed military commandant of New Orleans.
All officers on duty in this city or in Algiers, except officers of the division staff, will report to him.
By command of Major-General Butler:
GEO. C. STRONG,

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXI [S# 31]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Northern Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, And Pennsylvania From November 15, 1862, To January 26, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#5
DUMFRIES, VA.,
December 14, 1862---9.20 a.m.
Major-General SLOCUM,
Fairfax Court-House, Va.:
Circumstances have compelled me to leave back the bulk of my train and baggage, to march on to Stafford Court-House. I have allowed 3 wagons to each regiment; 1 for the officers, I for cooking utensils of soldiers, and I for small-arms ammunition, containing 10 boxes. Brigade and division staff, 1 wagon; corps staff' and grand reserve division headquarters,
[extensive excerpt]

Take from your regimental teams and supply trains as many wagons as you deem sufficient to bring forward the most necessary amount of ammunition. Your reserve ammunition you will send, by Alexandria, to Aquia Creek. It you are already on the march, disload at Fairfax Station, and push forward as speedily as possible.
F. SIGEL,
Major-General, Commanding.
-----------
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXVI/1 [S# 41]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In West Florida, South Alabama, South Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, And New Mexico, From May 14 To December 31, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#7

DQRS. DEPT. OF THE GULF, NINETEENTH ARMY CORPS,
Port Hudson, July 13, 1863.
Brig. Gen. W. DWIGHT,
Commanding Third Division:
SIR: The commanding general instructs me to say that the Second Division having been broken up, and the regiments composing it transferred to the Third Division, to the temporary command of which you are assigned, the permanent staff of the Third Division, as announced in the orders of its permanent commander, General Emory, continues to constitute the staff of the division. The staff officers of the Second Division may be assigned to fill vacancies, but all supernumerary staff officers formerly attached to the Second Division you will order to report in person to the chiefs of their proper staff departments at these headquarters. In regard to your Special Orders, No. 3, I am directed by the commanding general to inform you that Surgeon Hartwell is the designated medical director of the Third Division.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
RICH'D B. IRWIN,
-----

Some of the "personal staff" -- the staff that went with the general or commanding officer no matter where he was assigned to, e.g. transferred to this or that command:

Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer (Sorrel)
Chapter XXV—Battle Of Chickamauga, September 20, 1863.
Arrival at Catoosa—Riding to General Bragg—The meeting—Order of battle—Polk the right wing, Longstreet the left—Attack to begin on right—Delayed some hours—Left wing takes it up victoriously—Attack on right checked—Thomas reinforces his right against Longstreet's assaults—Cannot stand and retreats toward Chattanooga—A great victory for the Confederates—Pursuit next day expected—Bragg says no——Army marches to positions in front of Chattanooga—A barren result—Lieutenant-General Polk—Sketch.

It was about three o'clock in the afternoon of September 19 that our rickety train pulled up, with jerks and bangs, at the little railway landing, called Catoosa Platform. Longstreet and some of his personal staff, Colonels Sorrel and Manning, were in this train and immediately took horse. The remainder of the staff, with most of the horses, were on a train two or three hours later. The Lieutenant-General and part of his staff at once started to find General Bragg.
[end of excerpt]

Southern Historical Society Papers.
Vol. III. Richmond, Virginia, February, 1877. No. 2.
Lieutenant General S. D. Lee's Report Of The Tennessee Campaign,
beginning September 29th, 1864.

[extensive excerpt]
Although it is my desire to do so, I cannot now allude to the many conspicuous acts of gallantry exhibited by different commands -- It is my intention to do so in future, when detailed reports are received. To the officers of my personal staff and also of the corps staff, I am indebted for valuable services; they were always at their posts and ready to respond to the call of duty.
I have the honor to be, yours respectfully,
Stephen Dill Lee,
Lieutenant General.
Colonel A. P. Mason, A.A.G.

General S. D. Lee is correct to separately identify the different staff members - the Corps remained with that body of the military, so they could assist any commander coming in as a replacement, e.g. death, wounded, transfer, holiday, etc.

M. E. Wolf

Southern Historical Society Papers
Vol. III. Richmond, Va., May and June. 1877. Nos. 5 and 6
Battle Of Seven Pines -- Report Of General James Longstreet.
[extensive excerpt]

My personal staff -- Majors G.M. Sorrel, J.W. Fairfax, P.T. Manning, and Captains Thomas Goree, Thomas Walton, and my young aid, Lieutenant R.W. Blackwell -- have my kind thanks for their activity, zeal and intelligence in carrying orders and the proper discharge of their duties. Captain Walton was slightly wounded. I am indebted to General Wigfall and Colonel P.T. Moore, volunteer aids, for assistance in rallying troops and carrying orders during the battle of the 31st instant, and kindly aided in carrying orders during the several assaults made by the enemy on that day. I am also indebted to Colonel R.H. Chilton for material aid. Dr. J.S.D. Cullen, Surgeon in Chief, and the officers of his Department, kindly and untiringly devoted themselves to the wounded. They have none of the chances of distinction of other officers, but discharge the most important duties. I refer to his report for the conduct of the officers of his department.

[extensive excerpt]

Headquarters Right Wing, June 11th, 1862.
Respectfully submitted,
(Signed) J. Longstreet,
Major General Commanding.
To Major Thomas G. Rhett, Assistant Adjutant General.

POSTER'S NOTES, COMMENTS AND OBSERVATIONS: What I like about General Longstreet's reports are that they are a little more detailed, such as giving names. In addition, a lot of other commands be it Union or Confederate had "aids" or "volunteers." In some regards, they are treated as "staff." Note in this situation, General Wigfall was serving as an 'aid.' He was in the middle of command--in limbo, so while there--General Wigfall did as Longstreet wished to have done (team effort).

What isn't possible, is to add some document files of Privates being detailed to Headquarters. Along with Officers, there were Orderly Sergeants that were in charge of "orderlies" who carried orders too and from various officers. Orderly Sergeant kept the order books from where orders were copied and distributed. Staff would also include Stable Sergeants, Saddlers, etc., those personnel that would do the bidding at Headquarters and not subjected to orders outside of those Headquarters unless it was within the scope of the duties of that Headquarters--e.g. cooks, musicians, etc.

M. E. Wolf

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXIV/3 [S# 38]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Mississippi And West Tennessee (And Those In Arkansas And Louisiana Connected With The Siege Of Vicksburg) From January 20 To August 10, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#2
GENERAL ORDERS, No. 1.
HDQRS. SIXTEENTH ARMY CORPS,

Memphis, Tenn., February 5, 1863.
The undersigned, pursuant to orders received from the President of the United States, hereby assumes command of the Sixteenth Army Corps.
The staff of the general commanding will, until further orders, be composed as follows: Capt. Henry Binmore, assistant adjutant-general; Capt. Daniel J. Benner, aide-de-camp and acting assistant quartermaster; and Capt. William H. Thurston, First Lieut. William D. Dempster, and Lieut. Martin K. Cook, aides-de camp.
All orders heretofore issued will remain in force until further notice.
S. A. HURLBUT.
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXV/2 [S# 40]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Northern Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, And Pennsylvania, From January 26 To June 2, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#18
SPECIAL ORDERS, No. 128.
HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
Camp near Falmouth, Va., May 12, 1863.
IX. Brig. Gen. G. K. Warren, being the senior officer of engineers on duty at these headquarters, is announced as the chief of his corps on the staff of the major-general commanding.
By command of Major-General Hooker:
S. WILLIAMS,
-----
O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXVI/1 [S# 41]
Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In West Florida, South Alabama, South Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, And New Mexico, From May 14 To December 31, 1863.
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#13
GENERAL ORDERS No. 49.
HDQRS. THIRTEENTH ARMY CORPS,

Steamer McClellan, New Orleans, October 26, 1863.
I. The undersigned assumes command of the Thirteenth Army Corps, and will, at the same time, for the present retain the personal command of the [Second] division.
II. Lieut. Col. W. B. Scates, assistant adjutant-general, will report in person, with the corps staff, books, papers, &c., without unnecessary delay.
N. J. T. DANA,
Major-general.
-----

Gen. Dana's Special Order Book-2 001.jpg

Top half of a page out of the Special Order's Book (ledger size)of General N. J. T. Dana -- This is where the Special Orders would be logged. Second half next post. [Document owned by M. E. Weyraugh, posted with permission for education and studies]

Gen. Dana's Special Order Book-3 001.jpg

Bottom half of the ledger sized "Special Order Book" of General N. Dana ; entries made by his Assistant Adjutant-General. [Document owned by M. E. Weyraugh, posted with consent, for education and studies]

M. E. Wolf

177 PA Regt. Order Book - 1 001.jpg

This top part of the scan, is the Order Book for the 177th Regiment - Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. It was late forming. The first entries are at the "Camp of Instruction" (Boot Camp in modern terms) --Document owned by M. E. Weyraugh - posted with permission for study and education.

177 PA Regt Order Book - 6 001.jpg

The Pennsylvania Regiment Order Book was supplied by the State of Pennsylvania, so their ledger is not the size of US Army Regular's Order Book -- Pennsylvania was slightly bigger than a modern ledger size.

Document owned by M. E. Weyraugh - posted with permission.

Unfortunately, some scans are too large to share but, they were Special Orders transferring to Headquarters, Privates from various Regiments.

M. E. Wolf

Union army corps staff included:

-Assistant Adjutant General (AAG)
-Inspector General (IG)
-Aide (two or more)
-Chief Quartermaster
-Chief Commissary of Subsistence
-Chief (Topographical) Engineer
-Ordnance Officer
-Medical Director
-Medical Inspector
-Judge Advocate (?)
-Officer in charge of the Corps Headquarters Guard (cavalry or infantry unit)
-Chief of the attached Artillery Brigade

Back