Socks and Knitting

I have 2 pair of hand knitted wool socks- they are brown in color. Ok now for the history of them- The wool comes from a sheep named Nate. How do I know this it was one of our sheep. We (the wife and I) raised the sheep, the wife trimmed the wool from the sheep, had it processed at a local mill, the wife helped clean and process it by providing labor(barter system). she brought the wool home. A fellow reenactors elderly mother then for something to do in the winter time spun the wool, and knitted 2 pair of socks for me.
LOVE THIS!!! :cloud9::sheep: I would love to ask the knitter about the details...see what she did to make those socks so durable.

I learned to spin on a drop spindle, but I quickly had to make a decision about whether or not I was willing to fall down another crafting rabbit hole. :D I chose to walk away, much to my husband's relief. (Though he's still worried I'll come home one day with the news that I bought a couple of alpacas.)

We have gloves and mittens that I knit out of the fleece from a local alpaca farm. Knowing the animal makes the whole process extra special.
 
A quick little article about sock knitting during the Civil War from Knitting Daily.

For the Ravelry people among us (Are you lurking out there?) who are considering knitting these socks, here's Karin Timour's pattern page for 1865 Union Army Socks. There's one page of finished objects.

Here's JaggerSpun's Maine Line Wool 3/8 Rav page. It's listed as a sport weight (5.5 - 6.5 stitches per inch), and the pattern calls for a fingering weight gauge (9 stitches per inch). Very few comments on the yarn itself.

Maine Line 3/8 is currently available at The Woolery, in a 1490 yard cone. Karin states on one pattern page that one cone makes 2-3 pairs. More buying options, pattern options, and general pattern info listed here.

Surviving socks have gauges from 8 to 22 stitches per inch. Yep. 22. :O o: I knit a pair at 10 spi and thought I was going to go blind. 22 ain't gonna happen.
 
Has anyone reported whether or not wool socks itch? I'm asking because of the tendency wool sweaters have to feel like creepy crawlers have taken over your skin. Heard someone on TV describe some piece of clothing as a ' Fire Ant ' blend, remember thinking " Perfect!" I'm not allergic to anything but wool-on-skin makes me want to find a Norwegian fjord, and jump in it.
 
I have 2 pair of hand knitted wool socks- they are brown in color. Ok now for the history of them- The wool comes from a sheep named Nate. How do I know this it was one of our sheep. We (the wife and I) raised the sheep, the wife trimmed the wool from the sheep, had it processed at a local mill, the wife helped clean and process it by providing labor(barter system). she brought the wool home. A fellow reenactors elderly mother then for something to do in the winter time spun the wool, and knitted 2 pair of socks for me. This was several years ago. I still have the socks, and Nate has long since provided a second benefit to my family with more wool, and several evening dinners, when his wool production came to a close.

All I can say is Wow! Thanks for sharing that!
 
Actually, we all feel that way. :D It's called Second Sock Syndrome. If the sock is very plain, much like the CW patterns I've seen and many of the socks I make (because I use crazy yarn and don't really need fancy patterns), then it's easier. Very zen. BUT if the sock is heavily patterned with lace and cables, that second sock is a challenge. This is a pattern photo (not mine) of a pair I made for my daughter who is a big Tolkien fan: Aragorn. Loved making them for her because she really appreciates my handknits, but boy...that second sock.

ETA: Photo of some of my socks. One has a small cable pattern (with sparkles :rolleyes: ), but the other three are just fun colors. Total zen knitting.

Okay, I'm a person who has done lots of crafty things, but not knitting. I did once try crocheting but was a disaster at it. However, these socks are unbelievable. So impressed.

Thanks for all your additions to the thread. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought "Socks, now that's an interesting topic."
 
Has anyone reported whether or not wool socks itch? I'm asking because of the tendency wool sweaters have to feel like creepy crawlers have taken over your skin.
I can help with this. :sheep:

Quick Answer
I'm a pretty big baby when it comes to things against my skin. I love Merino wool, silk, and cashmere. I hate prickly yarn. That said, I've been able to wear all kinds of wool as socks. Feet and ankles may not be as sensitive as the torso for many people.

Longest Answer Ever
Those of you who have wool items (or any animal fiber) you find prickly: Wash your items (wool wash or shampoo) and then soak them for at least 30 minutes in water with about a tablespoon of hair conditioner. Any conditioner will do. I've used Pantene, Mane & Tail, and whatever else was on sale at the time.

I fill up my bathtub to the point where my sweater will be able to submerge. I swish the conditioner around in the water ~ it never dissolves nicely, but this has never mattered. Then I gently push the sweater into the water (no swishing or scrubbing, rubbing, or anything that will create friction...don't want to encourage any felting). The wool will take some time to absorb the water and will eventually sink.

As it hangs out there, the conditioner will soften those prickly hairs that stick out and bug you. At least 30 minutes is a good idea. I've forgotten about my items, and this extended time does not hurt them. I've never tested it, but I've wondered if extending the time would only help to make the items softer.

To rinse, I drain the tub, run some clean water, and let the sweater soak again for about 5 - 10 minutes. Then I drain and gently squeeze excess water out of the item. Sure, some conditioner will remain, just like when we condition our hair. But that's what helps keep the pricklies at bay. You can roll your item up in a towel and step on it, pushing excess water out, or you can spin it in the washing machine. Then let it air dry. (Sometimes I use a fan, and then the whole bedroom smells like sheep!)

Doing this allows me to wear various kinds of wool right next to my skin, including the breeds/blends on the pricklier side of things. I have two sweaters I would never be able to wear if I didn't condition them, so that gives you some idea of the effectiveness of this process.

I'm wearing one of those sweaters as I type this actually. Love this yarn. It looks cushy, right? But wearing it before conditioning is like Death by 1000 Needle-y Hairs. After conditioning, it's wonderfully soft.

*Note: Some people don't like this process. They complain about chemicals from the shampoo and conditioner coming into contact with the wool. Those of us who love this process think that's silly. Wool wash has chemicals. And if we can put shampoo and conditioner on our heads, we can certainly share it with our wool. No one has reported serious fiber breakdown due to this process. People have only reported being able to wear their sweaters in comfort. If there IS some breakdown, it's a fair trade off for being able to wear the darn sweater in the first place.

You are only limited by the kinds of conditioner your own skin can tolerate. :thumbsup:

ETA: No one will ever ask me a wool/knitting related question again, will they? :tongue: I swear I don't blab about fiber like this often. Honest!
 
Last edited:
I did once try crocheting but was a disaster at it. However, these socks are unbelievable. So impressed.
Thank you! :) Actually, nearly everything I try at first is a disaster. I'm just too stubborn to know when to walk away. Neither crocheting nor knitting were very relaxing when I was just learning ~ shoot, I'd concentrate so hard, I'd forget to breathe. Plus there are the projects that went totally awry. On Ravelry we have a thread dedicated to our Ugliest Projects so we can laugh and cry together. :D

Thanks for all your additions to the thread. Glad I wasn't the only one who thought "Socks, now that's an interesting topic."
My pleasure. Thank YOU for starting the thread. Karin Timour mentioned being on the lookout for other yarn options for her socks, so I've been hunting. It's been fun prowling the net for specific yarny criteria. Well...a nerdy sock knitter like me finds it fun anyway. Thanks to you, I've joined the quest.

As for socks as a topic, there was at one time a Sock Summit ~ a weekend long convention for sock knitters. And it was popular! (Sock yarn is crack for knitters.)
 
I can help with this. :sheep:

Quick Answer
I'm a pretty big baby when it comes to things against my skin. I love Merino wool, silk, and cashmere. I hate prickly yarn. That said, I've been able to wear all kinds of wool as socks. Feet and ankles may not be as sensitive as the torso for many people.

Longest Answer Ever
Those of you who have wool items (or any animal fiber) you find prickly: Wash your items (wool wash or shampoo) and then soak them for at least 30 minutes in water with about a tablespoon of hair conditioner. Any conditioner will do. I've used Pantene, Mane & Tail, and whatever else was on sale at the time.

I fill up my bathtub to the point where my sweater will be able to submerge. I swish the conditioner around in the water ~ it never dissolves nicely, but this has never mattered. Then I gently push the sweater into the water (no swishing or scrubbing, rubbing, or anything that will create friction...don't want to encourage any felting). The wool will take some time to absorb the water and will eventually sink.

As it hangs out there, the conditioner will soften those prickly hairs that stick out and bug you. At least 30 minutes is a good idea. I've forgotten about my items, and this extended time does not hurt them. I've never tested it, but I've wondered if extending the time would only help to make the items softer.

To rinse, I drain the tub, run some clean water, and let the sweater soak again for about 5 - 10 minutes. Then I drain and gently squeeze excess water out of the item. Sure, some conditioner will remain, just like when we condition our hair. But that's what helps keep the pricklies at bay. You can roll your item up in a towel and step on it, pushing excess water out, or you can spin it in the washing machine. Then let it air dry. (Sometimes I use a fan, and then the whole bedroom smells like sheep!)

Doing this allows me to wear various kinds of wool right next to my skin, including the breeds/blends on the pricklier side of things. I have two sweaters I would never be able to wear if I didn't condition them, so that gives you some idea of the effectiveness of this process.

I'm wearing one of those sweaters as I type this actually. Love this yarn. It looks cushy, right? But wearing it before conditioning is like Death by 1000 Needle-y Hairs. After conditioning, it's wonderfully soft.

*Note: Some people don't like this process. They complain about chemicals from the shampoo and conditioner coming into contact with the wool. Those of us who love this process think that's silly. Wool wash has chemicals. And if we can put shampoo and conditioner on our heads, we can certainly share it with our wool. No one has reported serious fiber breakdown due to this process. People have only reported being able to wear their sweaters in comfort. If there IS some breakdown, it's a fair trade off for being able to wear the darn sweater in the first place.

You are only limited by the kinds of conditioner your own skin can tolerate. :thumbsup:

ETA: No one will ever ask me a wool/knitting related question again, will they? :tongue: I swear I don't blab about fiber like this often. Honest!


Not at all!! Mom has knitted all her life, we've worn her amazing sweaters, hats, mittens, socks-heck skirts all our lives- really appreciated them but it was like a microcosm of religion. You know- the proverbial hair shirt so no one is too happy down here? Scottish Presbyterian, too- I think it's one's duty to have needles stuck in you while smiling. ( We had a minister who used to explain life's trials this way. Not comforting afflicted folks, nooo, you were saving up kudos for Heaven. Like coupons. ) Anyway ( and you really will never answer a knitting question again, will you? ) even the matching beret Mom knitted with the last Fair Isle sweater she made for me itches through all the real hair on my head. This is great news Lori so thanks hugely! She uses largely Canadian wool- I think Canadian sheep are fed Brillo pads myself, I am sure on the grounds our family once raised them. That was pre-Brillo pad so the diet in the late 1700's, 1800's must have been glass shards. ALL our wool is getting your bathtub treatment- first Scottish Presbyterian to smile in 300 years.
 
You know- the proverbial hair shirt so no one is too happy down here?
:laugh:

The breed definitely makes a difference. At an annual convention, I handled a yarn that I thought for sure could scrub pots clean. I think it was Icelandic, but I'm not sure. I'd be curious to see how that responded to conditioning.

Let me know how your knits turn out!
( and you really will never answer a knitting question again, will you? )
I'm sure it's obvious how much I love all things yarny. :cloud9: Any questions I can't answer myself, I will run past the fiber veterans and learn something in the process, so everyone is free to ask away!
 
:laugh:

The breed definitely makes a difference. At an annual convention, I handled a yarn that I thought for sure could scrub pots clean. I think it was Icelandic, but I'm not sure. I'd be curious to see how that responded to conditioning.

Let me know how your knits turn out!

I'm sure it's obvious how much I love all things yarny. :cloud9: Any questions I can't answer myself, I will run past the fiber veterans and learn something in the process, so everyone is free to ask away!

We have a good friend who is from Iceland- always wears the most amazing Icelandic sweaters! You know, if you keep your eyes peeled around here you can pick up real Icelandic sweaters at Good Will? It's insane. It's probably because they are not well known- no one wears them, knows what they are or treasures them. I guess when a relative's house is cleaned out the things are sent to Good Will along with everything else. 50 miles north of here there'd be a brawl in the aisle if one showed up.

Scrub pots? We have something. It's a 150 year old cape, at least we think it's a cape, looks like a tightly woven, heavy blanket with a slit for your head. Weighs a ton- woven from black sheep, some fibers dyed orange. You almost cannot stand it over your clothing it is so itchy, no idea how they stood it when new. Woven not knitted- same thing though. Mom's Scots had sheep, an awful lot of them, in Scotland then in Canada. Somehow this was saved- and no wonder no one smiles in photographs. Is something that old safe to wash?
 
To be extra, extra safe, I will consult the fiber community and report back here. :smile:

...

Okay, I'm back! It seems that, though I'd be nervy* and wash it, the smart thing to do would be to contact someone locally who is involved in textile conservation.

Others have said just don't wash it, period. Air it out, but otherwise leave it be in all its heavy, scratchy goodness. :D

* I have a long history of being nervy and then getting bitten in the butt for it. Do I learn? No.
 
Last edited:
My 1865 socks are done. :) Longest sock I ever made! The yarn is not period correct (has some nylon in it), but I knit the pattern to the letter.

image.jpeg
 
Beautiful job! I bet they are cozy for relaxing in these cold winter days and nights. Nice color, too.
Thank you! :) I finished them just in time for the weather to get nippy. (I like how I say that as if I don't have a drawer full of socks. :rolleyes: )

I played with the lighting a little, so the actual color is a dark blue tweed.
 
Thank you! :smile: I finished them just in time for the weather to get nippy. (I like how I say that as if I don't have a drawer full of socks. :rolleyes: )

I played with the lighting a little, so the actual color is a dark blue tweed.
Pretty! Some of the tweed is obvious in the photo. We have zero degree nights in our forecast for the weekend. Saturday and Sunday are to be single digits! Time for the serious slippers...
191586_ts.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 191586_ts.jpg
    191586_ts.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 66
Surviving socks have gauges from 8 to 22 stitches per inch. Yep. 22. :O o: I knit a pair at 10 spi and thought I was going to go blind. 22 ain't gonna happen.

I use the AGSAS pattern ALL the time. Thing is, I use worsted wool (I have yet to give it a go with fingering or sport weight), and my gauge, with size 3-4 needles is 7-8 stitches per inch. I couldn't find any evidence that worsted weight was ever actually used. Does anyone else have any input on that? (I make the things to sell mostly. Though family and friends end up with a pair every now again as a gift....)

I love making socks. I seldom have that, "oh, now I have to make a second??" Instead, half way through a pair, I start dreaming up how I'm going to fiddle with the next pair... :D
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top