Smyrna Line

Wade Moore

Cadet
Does anyone know if there is anything to see of this line? It was only occupied for a minute before the AoT moved back to the river line. I am going down there next year for a wedding and hoped to see something. If not, there is plenty of other stuff to see...

When the Confederates pulled back and then across the Chattahoochee River there were some nice entrenchments that were still very visible and in good shape near Mableton, Ga, right off Bankhead Hwy. I remember walking them back in the very early 80's.
I do not live near there anymore but I am sure that area is now a subdivision...

There are a few on private property on the hill behind the publix on veterans before you get to the river.
There are some within Heritage park SUPPOSEDLY. I've yet to find them though and I have spent many many many hours all through those woods, as I lived a few houses down from there

Thanks guys. But what you are describing is the River Line. The Smyrna Line ran through downtown Smyrna between Rottenwood Creek and Nickajack Creek.

Was all part of the same month long actions in the area. The riverline is in Smyrna and in mableton.
There is nothing remaining of the actual smyrna line and everything is housing and commercial now. Rottenwood creek has the remains of the original Akers brothers' Mill off the Rottenwood creek trail off of Interstate North Pkwy/Akers Mill Rd. And the remains of the Concord Woolen Mills remains are at the end of the trail in Heritage Park in Mableton

I like your Dodge Powerwagon avatar, it brings back memories and the lines back to Atlanta for the most part take a great deal of imagination.

@CheathamHill and I went exploring once determined to find something. We were in Brinkley Park and came across what looked like remains of a trench line that was being used as a jump in a bicycle trail. The location was correct so we determined it was but it could ha e been wishful thinking.

I overlaid the Smyrna Line as shown on a map from the Official Record an I think it passes a bit North of Brinkley Park. But when I go down next year I will take a look, thanks.

1604599766864.png

I overlaid the Smyrna Line as shown on a map from the Official Record an I think it passes a bit North of Brinkley Park. But when I go down next year I will take a look, thanks.

View attachment 380798
That line seems too far north by just a little. I’ve spoken to some old timers who said you could see the lines along concord road between S. Cobb Dr. and Atlanta Rd. I’ve also hear the line ran through the village green area and down Roswell St which the OR map also shows.

You might be right, georeferencing these old maps is tricky. However, we must also keep in mind that every line had traverses and second and third lines so I wouldn't be surprised if there were remains of entrenchments in that park even if my line is located properly.

Did you visit the Smryna Historical Society? Do they have any info that might help?

Back