Searching for Black Confederates

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
As I see it, the intent was to highlight Silas at the expense of Andrew.
Thank you for your explanation!
Interesting! I have lots of thoughts but I will keep them to myself (wouldn't want to stir this pot)!
I am still interested in color and it's effect on emotions and it's use in branding and marketing. Probably outside of the scope of this post, however.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Thank you for your explanation!
Interesting! I have lots of thoughts but I will keep them to myself (wouldn't want to stir this pot)!
I am still interested in color and it's effect on emotions and it's use in branding and marketing. Probably outside of the scope of this post, however.

To me, it makes it look as if a spotlight is shining on Silas while Andrew is in a shadow. They couldn't make the shadow black because then you wouldn't see him at all.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
To me, it makes it look as if a spotlight is shining on Silas while Andrew is in a shadow.
It is effective in setting Silas apart. I like looking at faces!

Since we are talking about the cover, my personal opinion (as I am exploring color through my sewing - and let me tell ya, this is a whole new thing for me) is that red (and shades of) evoke strong emotions in most people. It is subjective, of course. Red is a color of excitement, anger and high energy. It was an interesting choice which is why I asked my question behind the intent. Of course, generalizing a bit, men like strong bold colors, women prefer softer tones. If Silas was highlighted in differently in, maybe blue, I (personally) would reach for the book. The harshness of the red makes me want to pass without even know what the inside contents might contain where as my husband might be instantly drawn to it. But, then again, thanks to this site I know to never judge a book by it's cover!

The cover design for books is determined by the publisher, not the author. If the author offered any objection(John Lukacs didn't want a picture of Hitler on the cover of one of his World War II books: his publisher ignored him), the reply is usually a version of: "shut up, it could be worse!"

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
The cover design for books is determined by the publisher, not the author. If the author offered any objection(John Lukacs didn't want a picture of Hitler on the cover of one of his World War II books: his publisher ignored him), the reply is usually a version of: "shut up, it could be worse!"
Hmmmm...I did not know this. I am not knowledgeable of things in the publishing world but it does remind me, when I was involved with community theater and we would print up the playbills. There were certain requirements or we could not secure the rights to put on the plays. The title had to be so big in proportion the printing, the author's name had to be featured predominately. Even color and typeface in certain instances were dictated. All kinds of issues to deal with. I guess, what I am saying is, it can be frustrating when there is someone else, somewhere else calling the shots (if that is the case here). I would hope, Mr. Levin, the author of this book is approving of this design.

gary

Captain
How true. My second book has a sniper with a 50 caliber rifle and my subject matter is more on his predecessor, the black powder sharpshooter. Even the title of my second book is almost the same as my first book. Oh well.

wbull1

First Sergeant
Official Vendor
Cover photos, titles, and blurbs are all done by publishers. I can't count the number of times the descriptions give away plot points that author sweat blood over to keep out of sight of readers.

C.W. Roden

Formerly: SouthernFriedOtaku
No, Carl, you didn't sum it up very well. Came across very partisan and playing to your audience on your bog post, frankly.
Well its like I said, he offered nothing new to the discussion, and he was pretty partisan himself.
Black Confederate Denial is nothing but Tilting At Windmills, and if anything he summed that up very well. I give him that much.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Well its like I said, he offered nothing new to the discussion, and he was pretty partisan himself.

And you offered nothing new but continued denial and ridicule of the author, not the content so much in an impartial manner. Have you had run-ins with Levin before?

Black Confederate Denial is nothing but Tilting At Windmills, and if anything he summed that up very well. I give him that much.

Be honest with us and yourself, Carl. You gave him nothing and did you best to discredit anything he brought to the discussion.

Be honest with us and yourself, Carl. You gave him nothing and did you best to discredit anything he brought to the discussion.
Be really honest. Unable to engage with the material, he made up a lot of **** about Levin. That's what all this boils down to. We're in the age of truthiness, where people believe what comforts them and lash out, in the crudest personal terms, at anyone who threatens their world view.
Not everyone can evaluate evidence, do research, analyze different factors. A lot of people can't read a big book apparently. But everybody can call people names. In fact, that's all they know how to do. Perfect for the internet age.

I used to think that enough reason and knowledge would advance human understanding. But people don't want to learn things. They want to have their prejudices confirmed.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Be really honest. Unable to engage with the material, he made up a lot of **** about Levin. That's what all this boils down to. We're in the age of truthiness, where people believe what comforts them and lash out, in the crudest personal terms, at anyone who threatens their world view.
Not everyone can evaluate evidence, do research, analyze different factors. A lot of people can't read a big book apparently. But everybody can call people names. In fact, that's all they know how to do. Perfect for the internet age.

I used to think that enough reason and knowledge would advance human understanding. But people don't want to learn things. They want to have their prejudices confirmed.

@matthew mckeon ,

Agreed, matthew, sadly, agreed.

Sincerely,
Unionblue