Searching for Black Confederates

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
The publisher probably did this because there are chapter(s) in the book discussing modern folks who advocate in varying degrees the existence of black confederates/soldiers (Virginia flaggers, Dr. Henry Louis Gates, HK Edgerton were all mentioned as subjects at one time or another)

19thGeorgia

2nd Lieutenant
Someone described the cover as "eyecatching." Yeah, like a train wreck. :O o: :eek:

I guess students (@minimum wage) are in charge of cover design at UNC.

1549466382130.png

I like the fact that UNC decided to use the same image for the cover as had neo-Confederates trying to sell this tired, unsupported myth. It is the most powerful image Levin's opponents in this debate have, as they certainly have scant historical evidence, so why not confront it up front and then use the sizable primary source research to debunk the myth.

By the way, the cover photo also sells books.

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Just a personal opinion here. I won't comment on the subject matter, just the art work. I love that Silas is featured prominently in the design However, the color choice... as someone who is sensitive to colors... that brick red or burnt umber back ground is not appealing to me. It is an angry color. Was that maybe the intent? I don't know.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Someone described the cover as "eyecatching." Yeah, like a train wreck. :O o: :eek:

I guess students (@minimum wage) are in charge of cover design at UNC.

View attachment 273560
It's an excellent cover. It highlights Silas, making him the focus and relegates Andrew to the background where he's virtually ignored. Silas is the important person in that photo, not Andrew, with this cover.

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Just a personal opinion here. I won't comment on the subject matter, just the art work. I love that Silas is featured prominently in the design However, the color choice... as someone who is sensitive to colors... that brick red or burnt umber back ground is not appealing to me. It is an angry color. Was that maybe the intent? I don't know.
As I see it, the intent was to highlight Silas at the expense of Andrew.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!