1895: Special Duty for United States War Department​
1897: Retired from United States Army on April 2nd​
1897 – 1907: Retired living in Stamford, Connecticut​

Died: June 3, 1907

Place of Death: Stamford, Connecticut

Age at time of Death: 74 years old

Burial Place: U.S. Military Academy Post Cemetery, West Point, New York

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always considered Ruger a very competent general who didn't rise to the rank of major general during the war because he had no political friends who could use their influence in his favor.

So after Ruger died, all of his military effects were kept intact by his family. His uniforms, swords, some weapons, accoutrements, and thousands of letters and documents were all kept together and passed down though his descendants. The last living descendant had no one to pass the collection on to, and fell on hard economic times. She consigned the entire collection to Cowan's Auctions in Cincinnati back in 2012. I was able to acquire one of his six swords, his first sword when he graduated West Point. It is a M-1852 Foot Officer's sword. I also acquired his crimson Colonel officer sash. His collection was absolutely incredible.

The letters and documents from that auction of his estate would be an invaluable treasure. I hope it was preserved.
Lubliner.
Unfortunately, because there were literally thousands of documents and letters, the collection was parted out, and the documents and letters were parceled into bundles and auctioned separately. His original 1854 West Point diploma was among them. It was signed by the then Commandant of the Academy. Robert E. Lee. It went for around $7,000.

He had a very interesting career in the military both before and during the Civil War. Another piece of Civil War history found. Thank for sharing.

Following the Draft riots Ruger was sent out west to command the unit guarding the supply lines during the Battle of Chattanooga. Someone needs to explain this situation. The division was assigned this duty because Slocum refused to serve under Hooker?
In the summer of 1863 the Twelfth Corps, commanded by MG Henry Slocum, was composed of two divisions command by BG Alpheus Williams and John Geary. Ruger's brigade was in Williams' division. During the Gettysburg Campaign when Slocum exercised wing command Williams took over Twelfth Corps and Ruger the division.

When the Eleventh and Twelfth Corps went west in September under Hooker's command, Slocum, who had no confidence in Hooker's command abilities and disliked him personally, informed Lincoln he would resign rather than serve under him. The Federal high command arranged for Slocum and one of divisions (Williams') to be detached to protect the rail lines. The following spring the Eleventh and Twelfth Corps were consolidated into the Twentieth Corps under Hooker. Slocum was assigned command of the Vicksburg Military District. When Sherman relieved Hooker in July 1864 Slocum took over Twentieth Corps. Ruger remained in command of his brigade during the whole time.

Thomas Ruger did have a most interesting life. I just brokered his Colt Single Action Revolver which I originally purchased for client at Cowan's as noted in this post, and now finding it a new home. Emory Upton was also gifted Colt Single Action only 3 serials different, identical casing. Both apparently given by Colt executive and former CW general W. B. Franklin when Ruger was superintendent at USMA and Upton Commandant of Cadets. There is another SAA same range and odd caliber markings SN 1502 with no history. Is anyone aware of SN 1503? These guns are postwar, but the 3 generals involved are important & interesting CW generals.

Ruger SAA.jpg

upton SAA.jpg

A gold 10ct piece was often used for the front sight on new colts. Really shows on the upper picture.

The reason gold was used for a sight on a pistol, it would be brighter and picked up quicker.
I don’t know how long they used gold but is was put on the pistol barrel and then blued same time as the barrel. The blue was cleaned off the edge giving a good clean finish.

I am glad to see that gold sight on the above pistol.

Marshall

Thomas Ruger did have a most interesting life. I just brokered his Colt Single Action Revolver which I originally purchased for client at Cowan's as noted in this post, and now finding it a new home. Emory Upton was also gifted Colt Single Action only 3 serials different, identical casing. Both apparently given by Colt executive and former CW general W. B. Franklin when Ruger was superintendent at USMA and Upton Commandant of Cadets. There is another SAA same range and odd caliber markings SN 1502 with no history. Is anyone aware of SN 1503? These guns are postwar, but the 3 generals involved are important & interesting CW generals.

View attachment 486298

View attachment 486299
I was sitting there at Cowan's when this went up. Just a little bit beyond my price range...:D

View attachment 486298

View attachment 486299
Wow, what a pair of Colt SAA's. I can only imagine what they would bring at auction. Regarding SAA 1503, what do you mean by "odd caliber markings"?

Wow, what a pair of Colt SAA's. I can only imagine what they would bring at auction. Regarding SAA 1503, what do you mean by "odd caliber markings"?
The 3 I have seen 1501, 1502. And 1504 are marked 22cal in trigger guard, revolvers are 45 however.

Back