Roller Buckle Belt

W. Nielsen

Cadet
Hello, I am a new reenactor (I've done 2 events, both small). I do an impression of a Confederate infantry soldier out of western Virginia (59th Virginia Infantry Regiment) and I'm still collecting some pieces of my uniform. I really want to know what belt and buckle style would be most appropriate for me. Most in my company have Georgia frame buckles, which I'm happy to get, but I'm also interested in the roller buckle belt. Would a roller be appropriate for western ANV? Thank you for the future help.

A roller buckle or Georgia frame are both good choices. Roller buckles were issued by the Richmond Depot and I think are underrepresented. I've been thinking of getting one myself, I currently use a frame buckle.

I'm partial to a frame buckle.

http://oldsouthantiques.com/cgi-bin/Display_Item.asp?316

The fixed tongue frame belt shown here was made in Richmond, Virginia, by R.H. Bosher Carriage Works. It is stamped by the maker "R.H.Bosher Co.” over "Richmond VA.”. Bosher, having adapted his carriage works to the making of war material, made all manner of leather goods. Among other things, he made belts and scabbards for the Boyle and Gamble sword manufactory.
This belt is an Enlisted Infantry Belt and would have been a Confederate Government purchase.

os6529p3.JPG

os6529p2a.JPG

A roller buckle or Georgia frame are both good choices. Roller buckles were issued by the Richmond Depot and I think are underrepresented. I've been thinking of getting one myself, I currently use a frame buckle.

Thanks for sharing this interesting article, but only one question: What’s the difference between a Roller Buckle or a Georgia frame.

Thanks for sharing this interesting article, but only one question: What’s the difference between a Roller Buckle or a Georgia frame.
@Ragged Old First posted above a nice example of a simple frame buckle, or in the reenacting hobby known as a "Georgia Frame" above. Just a simple easy to produce 2 pronged frame usually made of brass and very common for the period and widely used by CS troops. The roller buckle is also a very common buckle of the period, usually made of iron and very similar to buckles we use today. Also very widely used by CS troops.
roller buckle.jpg
confederate-roller-2.jpg
roller 3.jpg

Welcome from WNY

Thank you sir, the only ancestor I know of who fought in the War was from Saranac, New York (my father's family still lives in St. Lawrence). He served in the 16th New York volunteer Infantry Regiment (strawhat men) and died of disease in Maryland.

Back