1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Repeaters

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by Major_Fool, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Story

Story Corporal

Considering the impact the Henry had on the immediate post-war expansion into the West, any plans to do an article on that period as well?

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Story

Story Corporal

I'd posted this in another thread, but Gatling guns were most useful against troops moving in formation in the open, whether in the defense or protecting flanks when moving forward (which should have turned on the leaderships' lightbulb of 'bounding forward, by gun/section').

Check out this target.
    [​IMG]

In this 1869 test, 100 troops with needle guns (breachloaders) fired 781 rounds and scored 196 hits in one minute at 800 paces.
    Same distance, same time limit one Gatling fired 246 rounds and scored 216 hits.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=bnVJAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq="gatling+gun"+"infantry+target"&source=bl&ots=2kwPYrszpP&sig=cauD9r-0EA-jeRI4yH3swNcINMc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj374Dwq-DRAhUMxWMKHXmSBw8Q6AEIKjAB#v=onepage&q="gatling gun" "infantry target"&f=false

4. Specster

Specster First Sergeant

keeping with the thinking of the day that bullets/rounds were highly valuable and you did not men "wasting" projectiles unless well aimed. I think that is the main reason the period Gatling gun was not employed in significant numbers. Although I also think at the right place they would have made a world of difference

I think it was in

5. Specster

Specster First Sergeant

Amazing

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)