1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Repeaters

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by Major_Fool, Mar 11, 2013.

1. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

It seems there are two different lovers of Henry rifles, well probably more, but here goes. There are those that can afford to collect original Henry rifles which takes some very deep pockets to be able to afford one or more of the originals, $20,000 can be a low end. Even original ammunition can bring over $10,000 per box at times, I do have 13 original rounds. I think it would be neat to have an original in my collection to be able to look, touch with a hands on experience with the Henry rifle. Unfortunately that will probably never happen. The best book on original Henry rifles is the book by Les Quick "The Henry Repeating rifle". This book has excellent color pictures of the many variations of Henry rifles even down to the two Japanese marked Henry Rifles. I had the opportunity many years ago to handle and examine both of the Japanese marked Henry rifles. There are also Henry rifles that were converted to fire center fire ammunition with the .44 Henry center fire round. I found it very interesting when I was visiting my local gun shop whose owner had an original Henry rifle. He pulled it out and handed it to me. I asked if I could open the action and he was ok with that saying he never had. Upon examining it I discovered it was one of those converted to center fire.

Another group interested in the Henry rifle is the group within the Civil War reenacting community. This group is armed with the reproduction versions of the Henry repeating rifle as made by Uberti and the Henry Repeating Arms Company. Reenactors at "battle events" shoot blanks and are able to experience the sound of what a company of men armed with the Henry would have experienced during the Civil War. It is also an education for the Confederates on the receiving end of the firepower. As I like to say "Victory thru rapid fire". The Henry rifle was a game changer for those that were armed with and those on the receiving end of the Henry. this was defiantly true at the Battle of Allatoona Pass. A reproduction Henry rifle is also an expensive rifle at around $1400 to $2000 so it is not for everybody. Blanks can also be expensive to shoot but then you do get to actually shoot the Henry rifle while those with original Henry rifles just admire, handle and look at their Henry rifle. Both have a trade off. The answer would be to own both an original and a reproduction but that gets expensive. Another group of reenactors use their reproduction Henry rifles at live fire shooting events where they can experience hitting targets with bullets.

I have been fortunate to handle and examine several original Henry rifles over the years. Every time I an in awe of what the original Henry rifle did to bring a change to future firearms and tactics. Unfortunately there are some from both groups of Henry rifle enthusiasts that look down upon each other for various reasons.

The Henry rifle was indeed a revolutionary rifle and was sought after by many during the Civil War. Originals do indeed tell a story that can be told by studying, handling and researching its background. While a reproduction can also bring to life what the fire power of a Henry rifle was and how tactics changed. Both the original and the reproduction have there place in the studying and education of the Henry Repeating Rifle.

Last edited: May 16, 2016

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. gary

gary 1st Lieutenant

I bet a skilled machinist could make a new bolt with a centerfire firing pin. I'd have to look at a reloading book to see if a new barrel is needed. In this case, then it's probably cheaper to buy an Uberti or Henry (of NY).

4. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

Resaca 2016 had a company armed with both Henry Rifles and Spencers.
    [​IMG]

5. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

Major Daniel McCook paymaster was armed with his Henry rifle at Buffington Island the day he was shot and killed while chasing Morgan.

Attached Files:

6. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

Morgan faced Henry rifles on at least two of the places on his raid into southern Indiana and Ohio. At Corydon, IN there were at least ten Henry rifles blasting away at his riders. At Buffington Island paymaster Major Daniel McCook was killed and his Henry rifle was taken. This past weekend was the reenactment at Buffington Island.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8037e63df0208a079a87798f899c0953&oe=586C942D

7. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

A friend of mine was able to locate an unpublished diary of a member of the 66th WSS and related how he got his Henry rifle as well as a "holster" for it to be able to be mounted as a bodyguard for General Dodge.

"When garrisoned at Camp Davies, on September 9th, 1863 he claims that there are between "30 and 40 of our Regiment who had '16 shooters' or Henry rifles mounted on mules. An effort has been made by the officers to induce as many as they could to buy the above named rifles with the prospect of being mounted. They cost $37.00 or $40.00 quite a sum for a private to pay out of his small pay. I have not sent for one yet." He finally obtains a Henry from another member of the regiment. On December 29, 1863, when the majority of the regiment goes home on veteran furlough, he remains behind and requires a Henry rifle to be part of General Dodge's body guard. He writes, "Buy a rifle for $50.00 and come to the Body Guard of General S.M. Dodge. Turn over my rifle etc. Take my first ride to the Cavalry." On December 30th he pays "$1.00 for rifle holster."

Thank you Todd for the information.

Story likes this.
  8. gary

gary 1st Lieutenant

That diary needs to be published.

Jobe Holiday likes this.
  9. gary

gary 1st Lieutenant

44Henry - please ask your friend if the diary states that the individual fired a qualifying score to become a sharpshooter. If it does, I'd like to get a copy of that page (and the soldier's name). Thank you.

Jobe Holiday likes this.
  10. 18thmississippi

18thmississippi Corporal

It's almost like asking why didn't they use peace makers lol I couldn't help myself

11. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

When I checked the transcript there was no mention of having to qualify. Sorry.

12. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

On January 20, 1864 at Petersburg, Virginia Major D. S. Curtiss writes his opinion of the Henry verses the Spencer after having seen both in action. “Last autumn, I with two battalions of the 1st D. C. Cavalry, were transferred to the 1st Maine Cavalry Regiment, armed with the “Spencer Seven Shooter,” which has given me an opportunity to test both these arms, in regard to efficiency, durability and safety, and I am fully satisfied that the Henry rifle is far superior, in all respects, so that I would by no means use any other if it could possibly be procured, and believe the Government would realize a great saving of life, money and time, in its warfare, if all the men were armed with Henry Rifles. This is my fully conviction, after being in various fights and engagements where both were used, It is safe, and saves life and time.”

Story likes this.
  13. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

The Winchester Arms Collector Association magazine is going to be running a series of articles about the use of the Henry rifle in the Civil war in the upcoming year, 2017, with the first being in the Winter Edition 2017.

JOHN42768 likes this.
  14. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

So today I had to renew my WACA membership so I wouldn't miss it.

15. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

16. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

17. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

The Winter issue is out of the Winchester Arms Collector Association Magazine. I am very please with the way my article turned out complete with pictures. That is part 1 of several parts of The Henry Rifle Use in the Civil War. I have already turned in part 2 and will be turning in part 3 in March.

18. JOHN42768

Andrew, Got it the other day and just got to read it. As always great information. Love to find out anything new. Interesting take on the other gentleman's mismatched Henry. Sounded like he was quite happy knowing something about half his Henry. I will be looking forward to the next installment. If you need any info off mine let me know. John

19. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

John I would be interested in any information or pictures. Thanks

20. JOHN42768

I will send you info and photos tomorrow. The photos are not great (ones I purchased from), but I can take other if you need them. I conversed with Wiley Sword as it is three away from the one he had.

21. 44 Henry

44 Henry Corporal

Part Two of my article will be out in the Spring of 2017 issue of the Winchester Collector Magazine. Part Three should be out in the Summer 2017 edition. so far very good feed back on it.

Story and Jobe Holiday like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)