Pewter buttons.

Kirby the great

Private
Joined
Sep 26, 2025
How common were pewter buttons on Reb jackets in the west? I picked up a set of 6 from Carter and jasper at "Franklin".

image.webp
 
Overall I think pewter buttons were relatively uncommon among Confederate soldiers. With that said they were probably more common in the Western theatre of operations. You might find the following article of interest.

Chapter 17, Part II,
Buttons of the Trans-Mississippi
by Frederick R. Adolphus
09 September 2026

 
Overall I think pewter buttons were relatively uncommon among Confederate soldiers. With that said they were probably more common in the Western theatre of operations. You might find the following article of interest.

Chapter 17, Part II,
Buttons of the Trans-Mississippi
by Frederick R. Adolphus
09 September 2026

Wow! I didnt know this had been released. Thanks!
 
Overall I think pewter buttons were relatively uncommon among Confederate soldiers. With that said they were probably more common in the Western theatre of operations. You might find the following article of interest.

Chapter 17, Part II,
Buttons of the Trans-Mississippi
by Frederick R. Adolphus
09 September 2026

Look at his link.. well researched.
 
One point in the link I found very interesting was the comments about pride in ownership of shiny brass buttons.
I'm guessing that's why cashiered officers have their buttons torn off their coat in the presence of their troops?
 
Years ago I met a fella who was a button collector of all things. His insights were intriguing.

Housewives were filled with what you had and could afford. Buttons are buttons but uniform buttons are another matter entirely. A soldier, US or CS, was expected to maintain that soldierly bearing. The whole ragged rebel has always been schtick instead of reality. Men have pride in themselves and unpatched clothing doesn't instill pride. There are ample photographs of PoW's captured and in PoW camps. They don't look ragged… ever. Barefoot with more holes than clothing just doesn't hold up to the research.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top