Patterns

Mountain-Man

Private
I'm looking for an patterns with clear easy to follow instructions, I've been looking at county cloth and the homespun patterns from James Country Mercantile, which ones do y'all reccomend?

I've only ever heard good things about County Cloth's patterns, but I haven't used one so I can't comment other than that. As for Homespun Patterns my experience has consisted of a lot of head scratching.

Before attempting to make anything from a pattern you need to be experienced, or have someone experienced help you, if not nine times out of ten you will make mistakes, and once cloth is cut it can't be uncut. But before making anything its been my experience that research into the original, (not other reproductions), studying pictures of it, or if your fortunate, the real thing makes a lot of difference in building an accurate reproduction.

Just remember personal experience, or a friend with personal experience makes a lot of difference on the instructions. Instructions can't replace that.

I think the answer is dependent on how familiar you are with sewing. If you are new to the process consider getting yourself a kit from Wambaugh White and Co. As long as you get your measurements right everything will be ready to go, so you don't have to worry with mis-cutting your fabric. The directions are plainly written and come complete with lots of color photos to help illustrate the process. Dan and Brian are also ready to field calls or emails with construction questions.

Strictly speaking about patterns, County Cloth's are, IMHO, easier to put together than Homespun's. The directions on both are fairly straight forward and neither are heavy on illustrations or photos, so you will either need to be familiar with the basics, know someone who can answer your inevitable questions, or find an instructional online.

Galla Rock offers some decent patterns too, although the sleeve caps on their jackets and coats seem to have extra ease that you will have to work in.

If this is going to be your first try making a garment from scratch, I would highly recommend making a mock-up out of cheap fabric from Walmart or your local fabric store to work out any kinks before you cut your expensive historically accurate fabric.

Cheers,
Garrett

I've made a few rev war garments from a pattern, and a frock from galla rock. I'm no expert by any means but I know the basics.

New, here! :smile: My almost 14-year old is interested in getting involved with living history - I have a friend who is a seamstress (she and her husband actually do French and Indian living history, so she's familiar with the importance of era-accuracy!), she just needs a pattern. My daughter is interested in portraying a girl Tillie Pierces' age/class of society - is this the best place to get a pattern, and since I don't sew, is there anything in particular I need to know when ordering (is there a difference in skirt length, etc?)

New, here! :smile: My almost 14-year old is interested in getting involved with living history - I have a friend who is a seamstress (she and her husband actually do French and Indian living history, so she's familiar with the importance of era-accuracy!), she just needs a pattern. My daughter is interested in portraying a girl Tillie Pierces' age/class of society - is this the best place to get a pattern, and since I don't sew, is there anything in particular I need to know when ordering (is there a difference in skirt length, etc?)

I don't claim to be overly familiar with the ins and outs of womens clothing of the period, but I would highly recommend you get in touch with Kay Gnagey at Originals by Kay and discuss what all your daughter will be needing. I've done business with Kay in the past and have been quite pleased with her work, as well as her customer service. In addition to custom work, she also carries a full line of patterns.

Cheers,
Garrett

I've made a few rev war garments from a pattern, and a frock from galla rock. I'm no expert by any means but I know the basics.

In that case I would recommend Cloth Cloth patterns. In my experience they are a bit easier to work with, and Charlie offers a wider variety of military patterns, especially Confederate.

I don't claim to be overly familiar with the ins and outs of womens clothing of the period, but I would highly recommend you get in touch with Kay Gnagey at Originals by Kay and discuss what all your daughter will be needing. I've done business with Kay in the past and have been quite pleased with her work, as well as her customer service. In addition to custom work, she also carries a full line of patterns.

Cheers,
Garrett
Thank you!

Back