Ammo Old Stone Mortar?

TennKin

Private
Joined
Sep 22, 2019
Location
Indian Mound TN
or just a rock?

For the life of me I can't figure out what this is. Its roughly 4 inches in diameter and weighs a tad over 5 pounds. I dug this up out back on my property. Any help identifying would be appreciated.

Ball.jpg
 
It appears to be a marine concretion of some sort, a coral chunk reduced to a ball shape. I doubt it would remain intact if fired out of a mortar. A weight for a fishing net? Is the property near the ocean?
 
It appears to be a marine concretion of some sort, a coral chunk reduced to a ball shape. I doubt it would remain intact if fired out of a mortar. A weight for a fishing net? Is the property near the ocean?
No. I live 3 miles from the Cumberland River, 13 miles from Fort Donelson
 
Non magnetic. Curious as I was reading about old mortars that fired round stones

Could still be ship ballast, which could be ocean coral in a ship that entered the U.S. fresh water transportation routes via the St. Lawrence seaway and Ohio/Michigan canal, or (as steam took over) upstream from New Orleans. Or not.
 
Last edited:
If it was made of a hard, close grained stone like basalt, I would think it probably a native American mano stone -- used for grinding grain or nuts:
13082066_1.jpg
There are some Inuit examples as big as 10-pin bowling balls. But yours appears too porous for that.

A marine/coral concretion could well come from an ancient, 'fossil' sea bed, far from today's oceans.
 
Last edited:
I do not believe it to be Native American because it is not smooth.

I have found stones like that near old brick making plants and clay processing plants, because they kneaded heavy balls to knead the clay.

I am not sure of your location or proximity to one of those plants, but if you are not near one, then I have no choice but to call that one a freak of nature, and leave it at that.
 
Might as well chip in my two cents. Might be a playing ball. Ft Donelson area was Mississippian culture and they...for some reason... liked to swat around heavy round rocks!
 
I agree with others that it looks too porous to be the sort of thing you'd throw around. If it were from Ohio I'd say it was a glacial erratic. Do you get eels in the river down there in Georgia? I know in England they used stones to hold down eel traps.

Do you live near a Natural History museum? Their geology department might have a better idea what it is geologically.

Makes me wonder what stone mortar rounds would look like, though. I want to say they were actually small stones placed in a basket? But I may be misremembering.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top