M1859 USMC sword???

Only reason I am skeptical of the post-war basement-bargain plausibility, James N., is the specific manner of Horstmann marking, though as Richard points out, they may have used it, here and there, throughout the latter half of the 19th C. I am in way over my head, granted, as far as expertise, but I can't find any examples out there online, with unetched blades, and I've looked pretty extensively. I'm leaning towards war-era on this one, and as you say, reg's were ray skin at the time.

Is that a 59/75 you posted, @drm2m? Nice sword!!

One thing I did just notice- the few examples I see online of early Horstmann marine M1859's, from Richard and others, seem to have a different style of finnial than later Horstmann 1859's (like @drm2m above) and those of other makers. Instead of the twirly pattern, the design is more bulbous in nature, like a little hot air balloon cast into it. Am I just making that up, @Richard E. Schenk?

Copley, you should contact the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico. The curators there are very helpful. Or the Washington Navy Yard Museum, but that's a more daunting endeavor, being that security is very tight there now.

Back