Patent Pending Sword

R. Porter

Sergeant Major
Joined
Oct 6, 2020
I was perusing Civil War swords on eBay when I came across the following auction: AUTH. CIVIL WAR UNION US ENGRAVED DECORATED BLADE CAVALRY SABER SWORD W/SHEATH. The sword at auction looked a little odd, it had an 1850 foot officer looking hilt but an etched saber blade. I took a closer look which cast more doubt on the sword. While it had the "E" of "E PLURIBUS UNUM", which is always a good sign, it also had something else that I have never seen on a Civil War Sword, "U.S." over "PAT PEND". That got me to thinking, when did PAT PEND start being stamped on things. I did some searching of the Web and finally found this web page:


Apparently "patent pending" dates things to after 1940. So, problem solved, it's a fake meant to deceive. However, I could have seen that right away if I had looked at the seller's ID: secondhandcollectibles Also, the scabbard, which I hadn't paid attention to, is an obvious fake. The up side is that I found a helpful page for dating some antique and vintage items.
 

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top