Lincoln Lincoln Substitute?

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
That is what I asked myself when I came across a tid-bit claiming that Abe had hired a substitute. I already knew that Theodore Roosevelt's father, John D. Rockefeller, and others had done so to avoid the draft. But Abe? Something didn't sound right.

After poking around I found sure enough he had, as a way to encourage others, who like himself were to old to serve in the army, to hire "replacements" but not to avoid the draft.

Anyway I found it interesting since it was new to me & felt others would find it so as well.

1-a75ab46b00.jpg


http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/01/10/...nteer-to-take-his-place-anyway/3821357838393/

The link below gives details on Abe's substitute.
http://wesclark.com/jw/sub_lincoln.html
 
The story of John Summerfield Staples (1845-1888). He had served and been invalided out of Co. C, 176th Penn. He later was recruited for a second enlistment as President Lincoln's "Representative Recruit." He served less than a year when he again succumbed to illness and was discharged as disabled.
He also has a Wikipedia entry.
 
Last edited:

Learn About Us
►About CivilWarTalk
►Contact the Webmaster
►Meet the Staff
►Link to CivilWarTalk
Join Our Community
►Register
►Browse Forums
►View Today's Discussions
►Search the Forum
Get Help
►FAQ
►Student Guide
►Forum Rules & Etiquette
►Copyright / DMCA

     Contact Us CivilwarTalk on Facebook CivilWarTalk on YouTube CivilWarTalk on Twitter RSS Feed

Bringing the American Civil War and More to Life.
© 1999 - , CIVILWARTALK, LLC - Site Version 10.0

SlaveryTalk.com - SecessionTalk.com - CivilWarTalk.com - ReconstructionTalk.com
Back
Top