Lemon Curd

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Lemon Curd is a wonderful filling for tarts and trifles.

1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
5 large eggs, must be room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and kept hot

Combine sugar, juice and eggs in blender. Whirl until mixed. On low speed, add butter slowly in thin stream.

Transfer to heavy saucepan, or double boiler and cook over low heat, whisking occasionally until mixture is slightly thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Don't let it boil or it may curdle.

The curd is cooked when it reaches about 170 degrees. Cool and refrigerate up to 1 week or in freezer up to 2 months.

Lemon curd can be spooned on scones. You can mix with cream cheese and sprinkle on toast or bagels or layer with whipped cream and berries for a lovely spring dessert.

Lemon Curd is a wonderful filling for tarts and trifles.

1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
5 large eggs, must be room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and kept hot

Combine sugar, juice and eggs in blender. Whirl until mixed. On low speed, add butter slowly in thin stream.

Transfer to heavy saucepan, or double boiler and cook over low heat, whisking occasionally until mixture is slightly thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Don't let it boil or it may curdle.

The curd is cooked when it reaches about 170 degrees. Cool and refrigerate up to 1 week or in freezer up to 2 months.

Lemon curd can be spooned on scones. You can mix with cream cheese and sprinkle on toast or bagels or layer with whipped cream and berries for a lovely spring dessert.
Lemon curd is a very underrated ingredient in the U.S..in Asia and Europe it is used in a lot of baked treats.the Chinese make a dessert atDimSum of a steamed doughball filled with lemon curd that really is a great end to a good meal.

I saw a recipe on the Great British Bake Show that used lemon curd. It was a sponge cake with lemon curd and passion fruit filling. It looked scrumptious. I agree, you don't see lemon curd very often. I wonder why that is, do people only think as lemon as something for lemon meringue pies in the US?

I saw a recipe on the Great British Bake Show that used lemon curd. It was a sponge cake with lemon curd and passion fruit filling. It looked scrumptious. I agree, you don't see lemon curd very often. I wonder why that is, do people only think as lemon as something for lemon meringue pies in the US?
I think people have a hard time with curd,it does sound like crud.

I keep jars of lemon curd available. If I need a quick dessert I buy a pound cake, cut into several layers and spread the lemon curd on each layer. Then top the cake with more lemon curd and a few berries. Everybody loves it.

Will try out that lemon curd recipe. Looks a lot easier than other recipes I’ve seen for this.

I think it may be a regional demand. I live in an area with a large population of immigrant and 1st generation Irish and Scots. Lemon curd is available in every grocery store here as well as the Irish and Scottish import shops. In fact, I have have a jar in my fridge right now that I use in biscuits and scones .

Lemon Curd with egg beaters.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
3 pinches of salt
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon
1 cup egg beaters
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons lemon zest

Since copyrighted can't post rest. Try to goggle Lemon Curd made with egg beaters, This should come up.

I love lemon curd it’s absolutely fantastic. I love chocolate based desserts but if a lemon tart or lemon meringue pie is on the menu it always wins hands down. I have had lemon curd muffins before and really enjoyed them , I thought it was a great use of lemon curd.

I love lemon curd it’s absolutely fantastic. I love chocolate based desserts but if a lemon tart or lemon meringue pie is on the menu it always wins hands down. I have had lemon curd muffins before and really enjoyed them , I thought it was a great use of lemon curd.
I'm having lemon curd on toast this morning for breakfast. I forgot to buy more Weetabix!

Back