★  Hays, Alexander

Alexander Hays

1574181236891.png

:us34stars:

Alexander Hays graduated from the West Point Military Academy in 1844, and served in the Mexican–American War, and won special distinction in an engagement near Atlixco, after which he resigned his commission, went on a foolish search for gold in California, and worked on several more promising engineering projects. When the Civil War began, he re-entered service as a Colonel. After the Seven Days Battles, he was appointed a brevet lieutenant colonel in the regular army for gallantry in action. He was badly wounded at 2nd Bull Run, but was appointed brigadier general of volunteers for his actions. Soon he was given command of the third Division in the II Corps during the Gettysburg Campaign. Hays's division defended the right of the Union line on July 3rd, holding firm on Cemetery Ridge. At the Battle of the Wilderness, Hays was struck in the head by a Minié ball and killed.

Born: July 8, 1819

Birthplace: Franklin, Pennsylvania

Father: U.S. Congressman Samuel Hays 1783 – 1868
(Buried: Franklin Cemetery, Franklin, Pennsylvania)​

Mother: Agnes Broadfoot 1783 – 1839
(Buried: Franklin Cemetery, Franklin, Pennsylvania)​

Wife: Annie Adams McFadden 1826 – 1890
(Buried: Allegheny Cemetery, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)​

Children:
Agnes Milnor Hays Gormly 1847 – 1908​
Alden Farrelly Hays 1850 – 1919​
(Buried: Sewickley Cemetery, Sewickley, Pennsylvania)​
Gilbert Adams Hays 1854 – 1934​
(Buried: Sewickley Cemetery, Sewickley, Pennsylvania)​
Martha Alden Hays Black 1856 – 1916​
Corporal Alfred Pearson Hays 1859 – 1931​
(Buried: River View Cemetery, Portland, Oregon)​
James McFadden Hays 1860 – 1923​
(Buried: Bellefontaine Cemetery, Saint Louis, Missouri)​

Education:

Allegheny College​
1844: Graduated from West Point Military Academy – (20th​ in class)​

Occupation before War:

1846 – 1846: Brevet 2nd​ Lt. United States Army, 4th​ Infantry Regt.​
1846 – 1848: 2nd​ Lt. United States Army, 8th​ Infantry Regiment​
1846: Brevetted 1st​ Lt. for Gallantry at Battle of Palo Alto, Mexico​
1848: Resigned from United States Army on April 12th​
1848 – 1850: Iron Manufacturer in Venango County, Pennsylvania​
1850 – 1852: Assistant Engineer Pittsburgh & Steubenville Railroad​
1852 – 1854: Assistant Engineer Allegheny Valley Railroad Co.​
1854 – 1861: Civil Engineer in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania​

Civil War Career:

1861: Major of 12th​ Pennsylvania Volunteers, Infantry Regiment​
1861: Captain United States Army 16th​ Infantry Regiment​
1861 – 1862: Colonel of 63rd​ Pennsylvania Volunteers, Infantry Regt.​
1861 – 1862: Served in the Defenses of Washington, D.C.​
1862: Served in the Virginia Peninsula Campaign​
1862: Brevet Major for Gallantry at Battles of Fair Oaks and Glendale​
1862: Breveted Lt. Colonel for Gallantry at Battle of Malvern Hill, VA.​
1862: Wounded during the Second Battle of Bull Run, Virginia​
1862 – 1864: Brigadier General of Union Army Volunteers​

1862 – 1863: Served in the Defenses of Washington, D.C.​
1863: Division Commander at the Battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania​
1863: Served in the Battle of Mine Run, Virginia​
1863: Suffered from the effects of Rheumatism​
1864: Killed in action near the intersection of Brock and Plank Roads at the Battle of the Wilderness​

Died: May 5, 1864

Place of Death: Battle of the Wilderness, Virginia

Cause of Death: Struck in the head by a Minié ball

Age at time of Death: 44 years old

Burial Place: Allegheny Cemetery, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

1652717205119.png

On Left, Lt. U.S. Grant and his racing pony Dandy,
On Right, Lt. Alexander Hays and his pony Sunshine.
4th U.S. Infantry at Salubrity, Louisiana, 1845,
while preparing to leave for the Mexican-American War.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following the Seven Days Battles he was brevetted some say for major, another biography states it was Lt. Col. He took a month of sick leave as he was suffering from partial blindness and paralysis in his left arm. These are said to be Injuries from battle but I don't see where he was wounded until 2nd Manassas where his leg was shattered while he was leading a charge.

I just found this little tidbit. While on a campaign stop at Pittsburg, U.S. Grant on his run for the presidency visited Hay's grave and wept openly.
They had become personal friend while attending West Point. Interestingly enough, rumors concerning Hays' sobriety abounded as they did for his friend Grant.

They had become personal friend while attending West Point. Interestingly enough, rumors concerning Hays' sobriety abounded as they did for his friend Grant.
I don't have the details in front of me but last night I read that an accusation of his being drunk came at one of his later or the last battles. Hays flatly denied it plus his wife was in camp during that battle. The fact that Mrs. Hays was present should have meant that Hays was indeed sober. Like I said I don't have any details in front of me and am writing from memory, which is pretty poor at present.

Last edited:
I don't have the details in front of me but last night I read that an accusation of his being drunk came at one of his last or the last battle. Hays flatly denied it plus his wife was in camp during that battle. The fact that Mrs. Hays was present should have meant that Hays was indeed sober. Like I said I don't have any details in front of me and am writing from memory, which is pretty poor at present.
The engagement was the Battle of Morton's Ford which occurred February 6 - 7, 1864. The accusations appeared to have mostly originated from the 14th Connecticut Regiment which suffered heavily in the battle and blamed Hays. I also remember reading accounts that Hays was killed in the Wilderness when he tilted his head back to take a swig of whiskey from a flask.

I don't have the details in front of me but last night I read that an accusation of his being drunk came at one of his last or the last battle. Hays flatly denied it plus his wife was in camp during that battle. The fact that Mrs. Hays was present should have meant that Hays was indeed sober. Like I said I don't have any details in front of me and am writing from memory, which is pretty poor at present.
I think it was Morton's Ford.

It is said He was a close friend of both Grant and Hancock from His West point days.
When Grant heard the news of Hay's death at the battle of the Wilderness from his aide Colonel Horace Porter who had been with Hancock at the time, Grant told him "Hays and I were cadets for three years. We served for a time in the same regiment in the Mexican war. He was a noble man and and a gallant officer. I am not surprised that he met his death at the head of his troops; it was just like him. He was a man who would never follow, but would always lead in battle." Source: Grant by Jean Edward Smith, Chapter Ten: The Wilderness, Page 124.

I am a big fan. My only civil war ancestor was in his division at Gettysburg where the brigade he belonged to, and was previously commanded by Hays, redeemed their reputation after their Harper's Ferry misadventures. It would be really cool to be related to him, in my opinion.

If I remember correctly the old Visitor center at Gettysburg used to have the sword he wore during the Battle displayed, right at the entrance to the electric map. I believe it was a British light cavalry saber, which I thought was interesting. That was long ago though. I wish I could be sure about that!

John

Hays cut a swashbuckling, larger-than-life figure on the battlefield of Gettysburg. He was quoted numerous times by men of different regiments as he rode up and down the lines. Here's one memorable exchange from the afternoon of July 3:

As the cannonade slackened and a gentle breeze blew the smoke away, Hays rode down line, sternly bidding each man keep hidden from view. "Lie down; lie down like that man." - pointing to a figure at his feet. A soldier replied, "That man is dead, General." "I wish you were; be quiet." Then turning to his orderly, said, "Orderly! When we are attacked I expect you to ride where danger is the thickest; do you think you will keep up with that flag, even if I ride to h---?" Touching his cap, the orderly said "With pleasure. General if you reach h--- just look out the window and you'll see the little blue trefoil fluttering behind you." [Charles E. Troutman, 12th New Jersey, Camp-Fire Sketches and Battlefield Echoes, p. 220]

The drinking may or may not be something they had in common. But the one thing they did have in common was very good horsemanship at West Point.It would be hard to say which cadet was better at it.

I have seen one Gettysburg writer, and I can't remember which one, refer to the flag dragging incident as "obnoxious". I think that was the word he used. It occurred to me when I read that, that soldiers who had just survived a great battle might not have found it so obnoxious.

John

Back