Gingerbread Pudding

Fairfield

2nd Lieutenant
512px-Bread_and_butter_pudding-01.jpg
Bread and butter pudding-01
codepo8, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Gingerbread Pudding is an old favorite recipe in New England (and probably in other areas). The old recipe from Bangor, Maine (1861) calls for 1/2 cup sugar, of molasses and of milk; 3 cups flour; 2 eggs; 2 teaspoons cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon soda and ginger to taste. Steam for 3/4 hour.

The Boston Cultivator (newspaper, 1863) requires:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sour milk with 1 cup molasses and 1 teaspoon of soda stirred in
Rub butter into flour combine with liquid. Steam 3 hours. Serve with either warm or cold sauce.

This is an English style pudding and is more like a cake. In fact, I understand that there are modern recipes for cakes called "Gingerbread Pudding Cake".

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds good. I have always liked gingerbread and ginger snap cookies.
Me too! Right now I am pigging out on those wonderful Swedish gingersnaps that are practically wafers. When I was a child, we had a dog who was so crazy about gingersnaps that he would paw through any unattended bags of groceries--bypassing packets of meat--looking for the box of gingersnaps that would always there.

View attachment 387568
Bread and butter pudding-01
codepo8, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Gingerbread Pudding is an old favorite recipe in New England (and probably in other areas). The old recipe from Bangor, Maine (1861) calls for 1/2 cup sugar, of molasses and of milk; 3 cups flour; 2 eggs; 2 teaspoons cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon soda and ginger to taste. Steam for 3/4 hour.

The Boston Cultivator (newspaper, 1863) requires:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sour milk with 1 cup molasses and 1 teaspoon of soda stirred in
Rub butter into flour combine with liquid. Steam 3 hours. Serve with either warm or cold sauce.

This is an English style pudding and is more like a cake. In fact, I understand that there are modern recipes for cakes called "Gingerbread Pudding Cake".
Is it a bit like an English Bread & Butter pudding. It seems to have soft wet consistency. I’d say it would be tasty with some custard.

Back