Generals at Rest

DSC07354.JPG

Here are another pair of Confederate generals buried in the Fort Smith, Arkansas National Cemetery: Above, Brig. Gen. Alexander E. Steen; below, Brig. Gen. James McIntosh who was killed on the first day of the Battle of Pea Ridge/Elkhorn Tavern, March 7, 1862.

DSC07357.JPG

Three more from what until very recently was called the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery in Lexington, Virginia - we've already had Stonewall himself, but above is the original site of his grave and the original headstone, second from right.
So, what have they renamed the cemetery? It's sad what the carpetbaggers and scalawags have done to Lexington.

General Richard Y. Slack was from Chillicothe, Mo. He was a lawyer, and member of the Missouri State legislature before the war. Slack served as a captain in the Mexican War, under Sterling Price's 2nd Missouri Cavalry. He was a Missouri State Guard general, when he was mortally wounded at Pea Ridge. Some really great photos here. I really appreciate seeing them.

So, what have they renamed the cemetery? It's sad what the carpetbaggers and scalawags have done to Lexington.
It reverted to its generic antebellum name which I totally forget - to me it will always be the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery.

Brig. Gen. Matthew Ector(C.S.A), Greenwood Cemetery, Marshall, Texas. The pictures were taken in January 2017. All I had with me was water and a rag which doesn't work too well with Texas lichen. Next time I'm in Marshall, that flatstone is gonna get scraped and sprayed.

2017-01-27 10.37.44.jpg

2017-01-27 10.37.28.jpg

IMG_0379[1].jpg

I had forgotten this thread - here are a couple of photos taken last month in the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Cemetery showing the grave of Abolitionist Editor, Governor of Pennsylvania and California and Maj. Gen. of U.S. Vols. John W. Geary who led a division at Gettysburg, Chattanooga, and in the Atlanta Campaign.

IMG_0378[1].jpg

It reverted to its generic antebellum name which I totally forget - to me it will always be the Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery.
It's now called Oak Hill. I'm working on posting my pictures of it after I write descriptions for some of the graves. There is a pamphet at the entrance called "Walking Tour of Oak Hill Cemetery". And of course there is Find a Grave. I enjoyed visiting there. Even with the name change it's hugely military.

Brig. Gen. William W. Kirkland, Elmwood Cemetery, Shepherdstown, WV . A North Carolinian. Wounded several times during the war. Pictures taken 10/6/2021.

2021-10-06 16.51.03.jpg

2021-10-06 16.50.52.jpg

Back