Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
Gemrig forceps.JPG
Gemrig Bullet extractor.JPG

Bullet forceps and extractors, of various types and sizes were in use during the Civil War. Traditional forceps (pictured at left) worked fine for removing round balls, but not very well for removing conical projectiles. The improved version (pictured right), manufactured by Jacob H. Gemrig, featured a cup shaped side with two curved prongs and the other side with only one curved prong. When the forceps were closed, the single prong was received in the interval between the double prongs of the other side of the instrument. In his 1862 work, Operations of Minor Surgery, F. W. Sargent, M.D. wrote: "The instrument [Gemrig extractor] answers for the round as well as the conical ball, and possesses the great advantage of facility of application with firmness of grasp." http://perryadamsantiques.com/shop/rare-idd-civil-war-medical-book-carver-hospital-stewards-book/

Attachments

• Gemrig new Bullet extractor.JPG
    Gemrig new Bullet extractor.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Several newspapers in the late summer of 1862, announced the invention of another, somewhat "high-tech" type of bullet extractor:
ghgxfh.jpeg

[Cleveland Leader, August 12, 1862]
Do note where the second paragraph says: "Should the ball be embedded in bone ... the valve is opened and a column of mercury (!) precipitated into the wound, ..." I think I'll stick with Messrs Gemrig's instrument, thanks,

Last edited:
Wow! I'm with you! I wouldn't want the valve to be opened and a column of mercury precipitated into my wound either. I think Mr. Gemrig's instrument would be my choice as well.

BTW - I just noticed your signature line. If I could "LIKE" a signature, yours would receive a click from me. Since I am not able to "like" it, Ill give several thumbs up icons instead. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is an excerpt from -

Medical History of the Civil War
, vol. 2, p. 39

Report of the Operations of the Medical Department of the Army of the Ohio, during and after the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee, April 6th and 7th, 1862. By Surgeon Robert Murray, Medical Director of the Army of the Ohio.

"It is remarkable that the conical balls extracted, both from our own wounded and the Confederates were , in almost every instance, bent and twisted, and, in some cases, split. They must be made of softer material than the European minie balls; or, probably, the difference may be owing to ours being molded and not pressed."

This sounds like the extractors would have been of little use.

Tom

"....Substances such as mercury were used often as a treatment for all sorts of problems. If you felt sick they gave you mercury, or they gave you something called calomel which was nothing more than honey and chalk with mercury mixed into it. Needless to say the medical community at the time was not aware of the poisonous substance they were giving their patients, even though the patients were developing tooth loss, digestive problems and even brain damage."

https://www.civilwaracademy.com/civil-war-medicine

View attachment 184510 View attachment 184509
Bullet forceps and extractors, of various types and sizes were in use during the Civil War. Traditional forceps (pictured at left) worked fine for removing round balls, but not very well for removing conical projectiles. The improved version (pictured right), manufactured by Jacob H. Gemrig, featured a cup shaped side with two curved prongs and the other side with only one curved prong. When the forceps were closed, the single prong was received in the interval between the double prongs of the other side of the instrument. In his 1862 work, Operations of Minor Surgery, F. W. Sargent, M.D. wrote: "The instrument [Gemrig extractor] answers for the round as well as the conical ball, and possesses the great advantage of facility of application with firmness of grasp." http://perryadamsantiques.com/shop/rare-idd-civil-war-medical-book-carver-hospital-stewards-book/
Ow!

lelliott19. I have these same forceps in my civil war surgeon's kit. Also, I have my great grandfather's medical bag, surgeon's kit, top hat, pocket watch and engraved walking stick and many of his medical books as well as numerous books from his massive library. He was a surgeon in London, England during the middle nineteenth century until his death. Family history tells of his genealogical connection with the British Royal House of Hanover. David.

lelliott19. I have these same forceps in my civil war surgeon's kit. Also, I have my great grandfather's medical bag, surgeon's kit, top hat, pocket watch and engraved walking stick and many of his medical books as well as numerous books from his massive library. He was a surgeon in London, England during the middle nineteenth century until his death. Family history tells of his genealogical connection with the British Royal House of Hanover. David.

What a wonderful treasure you have with your g-grandfather's medical kit! I'm sure you do treasure it.

Do you have pictures you could post of your g-grandfather's items? The walking stick sounds wonderful - so few of them survive. And the instruments.

Back