First time going to Vicksburg

Some people were trying to send her to a couple of Antebellum homes, I think the Old Courthouse would be better.
I think they didn't see where she said she would only have a coupla hours there. For a first time visitor to Vicksburg with only 2 hours,the NMP or Court House is the obvious choice.

Some people were trying to send her to a couple of Antebellum homes, I think the Old Courthouse would be better.
Well to be fair the Cairo while a cool exhibit, could take 2 hrs and is little more then a sidenote to the actual Vicksburg battles..........spending a bunch of time at the cairo wont lend much of a understanding of the actual campaign or siege

Last edited:
The only way to get to Stockade Redan at this time, is to turn on Graveyard Road from Union Ave.
I heard there are some road closures. I agree with what a coupla other suggested. Tour Stop 9(Fort Hill) is a great view.

I heard there are some road closures. I agree with what a coupla other suggested. Tour Stop 9(Fort Hill) is a great view.
Me too, it’s a must see. She would have to leave the Park and go into Vicksburg at Fort Hill. The Park will have detour signs up, but it is very inconvenient for people with time constraints.

Unfortunately, I'll only have a couple hours so its in essence a "fly-by" on my way home to Minnesota. I'll pretty much be just on the battlefield for my time there but I'll take any pointers. I'll make sure I go back there again :smile: My family has a property in Florida that we drive to a few times a year so I'm in the area.
As you can tell,with a 2 hour time limit you're gonna have to make some hard choices.

@1stMN Having been there for the first time on 2/10/2017,I agree with Alan. If 2 hours is all you have and you want to spend it at Vicksburg NMP,do what he said. You could probably get the Tour App at the Visitor Center and listen to it on the driving tour and not get outta the car except at the Cairo and maybe at the Stockade Redan and maybe do all that in 2 hours.

Absolutely, I will do that. I'll be sure to download the app ahead of time. I hate to rush through things but if I can at least hit some of the main points and then return for a more leisurely visit I can deal with it :smile:

I'm very excited to finally be going there! I spend so much time in the eastern theater it is good to get to places like Shiloh and Vicksburg once in a while :wink:

Absolutely, I will do that. I'll be sure to download the app ahead of time. I hate to rush through things but if I can at least hit some of the main points and then return for a more leisurely visit I can deal with it :smile:

I'm very excited to finally be going there! I spend so much time in the eastern theater it is good to get to places like Shiloh and Vicksburg once in a while :wink:
That's probably as good as you can do and 2 hours at Vicksburg is better than no time at Vicksburg any day.

I liked Vicksburg quite a bit. It was my first time in Mississippi. I enjoyed it immensely. So much to see though. It was a little hard for me to take it all in at that time. A second trip was needed. The highlight for me was the Cairo and it's museum.

Ouch!! Not much time. I agree with the consensus that the Cairo museum should be top of your list.

You could go to the visitor center, see the museum there and the short film, then drive straight through the park to Cairo. Those two places WITHOUT stopping in between will just about be 2 hours worth. On your way out of park, you could stop by Stockade Redan and take some pictures there.

With that time limit, those are the 3 places I suggest. You might could squeeze 2 hours out with those and not regret missing too much.

Anyway, my thoughts..... have fun and share your pictures with us!!
I agree with Alan, and would only add that the animated map at the visitor center is very helpful for visualizing the Vicksburg campaign.

Having said that, though, if you already know a lot about the Vicksburg campaign, I would skip the visitor center and be sure to make that trip to the Stockade Redan. The Vicksburg siege was all about redoubts, redans and lunettes. To actually be at one of those earthworks, and to look down at the forbidding approaches to it, really brought the siege home to me in a way nothing else did.

I also really loved the tunnel at Thayer's approach: https://www.nps.gov/vick/learn/historyculture/tour-stop-6-thayers-approach.htm

If you're into monuments, hoo-boy, there are a bunch of them! I particularly liked the Illinois monument since it listed the names of every single Illinoisan who was there. From that monument, there's also a very good view of the approach (and you can hike it yourself) up to the 3rd Louisiana Redan. On the other side of the monument, very close by, is the Shirley House, which is the only surviving building from the period in the park.

Last edited:
Since you are short on time, a drive-thru tour would be best. Any time left, see the Court House.
A drive-thru at the CSA-Soldiers Rest section of Cedar Hill Cemetery is doable too if there's time left.

I would skip the visitor center
Seems kinda odd to say that but I was gonna suggest that too. If you already have the Tour App downloaded and a printed park map from the NPS website,and you only have 2 hours,skipping the Visitor Center is a viable option. And you mentioned Thayer's Approach. Some of the Tour Stops can't really be fully appreciated without a quick dismount of the vehicle and a peek.

Before my last visit, in May 2016, I "explored" the park using Google Earth's Street Views, which covers all major park roads. You might consider doing that, in order to get a preview of what might be of the most interest, given the short time you will have to spend there.

Everyone has given you excellent tour tips. On a limited time frame you will have to make some hard choices but please, take all the time you have and enjoy.

Hi all, I finally have the pleasure of going to Vicksburg in November. Any recommendations of good photo ops and just good all-around things to see at the battlefield? Thanks in advance!
You've received some great advice ! I hope you have nice visit to the Vicksburg NMP.

Since you're limited to two hours, I think you'll have enough time recon the entire park for a more detailed visit at a later date.

I have to agree with the others, make time to spend a few minutes on board the USS Cairo.
Time permitting, the Illinois memorial is well worth a quick stop as well.

I'm looking forward to an after action action report with photos. :D

Confederate Avenue from Fort Hill to Graveyard Road is closed to all vehicle traffic.

Thanks for this heads up. It's been a while since I've been in the Park, but I may have a chance to visit next month.
I had no idea Confederate Avenue had fallen into disrepair.

Back